Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2010, 08:03 PM   #21
dankurth

Default Re: Reproduction gas tank?

Here's an idea that I've been kicking around for a while; just waiting for time and money to come together.
I want to make a glass mold off of a tank and lay up a repro using either carbon fiber or kevlar with a fire retardant epoxy. I'd use "explosafe" inside the tank which would reduce the capacity to about 8 gallons, but..........the name of the product pretty well sums up the reason for using it. I did a lot of fiberglass mold making when I was working my way through college and the A tank wouldn't be too difficult to copy.
dankurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:07 PM   #22
MCHinson

Skeezixx,

I have often heard folks talking about how bad it is to have that fuel "right in your lap". After seeing the recent video of the 32 Ford being rear-ended and resulting fire, I think I would prefer to have the tank right there in the center of the car instead of sticking there on the back like a '32 Ford or a Pinto. I suspect that the most common traffic crash in a Model A may very well be a rear end collision.
Back in my rescue squad days, I saw the results of Pinto rear end collisions first hand. I don't think I really want a fuel tank in the rear.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-31-2010, 10:16 PM   #23
Frank Nemo

I may be way off base, but IMHO I have never seen a report of a Model A accident where the gas tank has caught on fire. That inspite of many severe front and side collisions. I have seen many fire problems with gas tanks mounted in the back of the car that was impacted with a rear end collision. Perhaps our Model A gas tank is safer than is thought.
Frank Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:38 PM   #24
BCCHOPIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
I actually thought this was a liability issue because of the location in the occupants' lap.
I like my gas tank for my A more then my jeep that I sit on or my 68 Chevy truck that is behind the seat
BCCHOPIT is offline   Reply With Quote