Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
29FordGuy

Default Loose screw in bell housing

Well, my original Bendix threw a bolt and it is now at the bottom of the bell housing. It has for the most part laid there quietly but recently I have had a few loud clunks that sounded like it was beginning to travel around in there. I need to get it out before it does damage to the flywheel or clutch. That would not be good! I have fished from the access hole on top but no luck. I have not yet taken off the starter to see if I can access it from there. I know this has happened to others - any pointers? Thanks!
29FordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Duffy1

Default Re: Loose screw in bell housing

29fordguy

There are a number of threads on this topic . Do a search and you will find many different ways to get the bolt out. Did you go back original or did you get a modern type bendix ?
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
29FordGuy

Thanks, I will try that. I do remember seeing some recently but I don't remember seeing any 'how to' advise. I will do search. I installed a new original and kept the old one for a spare (with new bolts and lock tabs installed). I remember reading several threads about the modern type that gave heartburn.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Art Bjornestad

I am running 2 new starter drives and have seen many years of trouble free service. I have broken quite a few bendix springs and bolts over the same time in flatheads and would never put an old style drive into anything. Art
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Georgew48

When it happened to me, I removed the starter and through the starter hole I used a piece of electric fence wire with my magnet necklace taped to it to fish out the bolt. Worked like a charm because I could bent the wire to match the curve of the bell housing and the necklace taped to the wire provided the magnet. I tried using a long magnet tiped tool but could not get it to curve around the bell housing enough to get to the bottom.
Georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
TK in LA

I've used a small magnet with a hole in it, kind of like the ones on the bottom of a clip that you put on the fridge to hold papers. Wrap a piece of find bailing wire to the magnet and drop it down the clutch/throwout bearing inspection hole. It may take a couple of ties but that should get it out along with a bunch of pieces from previously broken Bendix spring retainers. Kind of like ice fishing.
Good luck!
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
kingbee

Send a message via AIM to kingbee

As an aside, that happened to me. Had some crunching and banging around, then BAM! Totally locked up the engine. There was absolutely no way to free the engine, so ended up pulling it. Found the screw wedged between the flywheel housing and the ring gear. Interestingly, it was not my bolt, but a previous owner's, as both my bolts were still in place. It was in there for thousands of miles before it decided to ruin my day.
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Bob Johnson

I use a magnet which I stick onto the flywheel. Then I rotate the engine and the bolt is picked up by the magnet. Here is a video showing how I do it.

www.modelahouse.com/movies/bolt.wmv

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
Bruce_MO

Yep...use a strong magnet that you stick to the flywheel and then turn the engine over slowly with the crank. You can usually hear the faint sound of the loose bolt getting caught and picked up by the magnet.

I bought a set of very strong magnets at Home Depot, as I recall. They were about 1/2" in diameter and about 1/4" tall.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
Afordman31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johnson View Post
I use a magnet which I stick onto the flywheel. Then I rotate the engine and the bolt is picked up by the magnet. Here is a video showing how I do it.

www.modelahouse.com/movies/bolt.wmv

Bob
Thanks Bob for the video.
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
29FordGuy

Hey guys, thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I will do the magnet on the flywheel trick later this week. Looks so easy and I have some strong magnets that should work good. The video was especially helpful Bob, thanks.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #12
Bob Johnson

I forgot to point out that I tied a string to the magnet. If the magnet somehow gets off of the flywheel I can reverse rotation of the flywheel and use the string to help get the magnet out.

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #13
Jerry Parr WI

The danger is a bolt trapped between the flywheel and the bell housing breaking the bell housing. I had one trapped between the flywheel and housing that even with the engine out could not be removed until I took off the flywheel. In addition to the problem bolt this collection was left in the housing by previous owners of the car.

Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
29FordGuy

Wow, that is impressive. Quite a collection of junk. I know mine only has the one screw and lock washer. I just hope mine is resting quietly on the bottom where I can pick it up with a magnet. I don't want to drive it until I get the thing out!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

Did someone once suggest to put a LARGE glob of wheel bearing grease on the outside of flywheel & rotate the engine?? Bill W.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
Farrell In Vancouver

http://forums.aa-fords.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3371

I had a neat one a while ago.........
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #17
29FordGuy

I wanted to update this thread with my latest success. I tried the magnet trick using the only magnets I had around. I first tried an old AlNiCo magnet from a coin vending machine but it was too big and ran into the housing. Then I went down to Radio Shack and bought some ceramic magnets but they did not have enough pull. I tore apart a small magnet on a stick but still did not get anything. So I decided to go with the big guns. I ordered a neodymium magnet ring. I received it today, snapped it on the flywheel and rotated it with the crank until I heard that sweet sound of the screw attaching to the magnet. Low and behold I picked up the bolt as well as the locking washer. Success!! To everyone that offered suggestions, thanks for all your help. Drove the ol' A around this evening and no clunk anymore. What a relief!!!