Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
txturbo

Default new guy

Hello everyone.....new guy from Texas here. Also new to Model As. I recently bought a 1930 Sport Coupe. Looks to be an older restoration that was needing it again. I would like to find out more about it and I'm not sure where to find all the important numbers. So I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions. The original motor was removed and sent to a machine shop in Louisiana....but the owner passed away shortly after that and nobody knows where it is. So I found a running used one to stick in it. The body was in the process of being taken apart so everything was just wired back together for transport. So my first goal is to get the used motor installed and running. Appreciate any help you can offer.
txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
modelAtony

Default Re: new guy

mr. adam loop [sp] could have been the engine builder from BATON ROUGE,LA he died still building engines at about 92 years of age. He died around 3- 4 years ago.
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
ford3

first buy a few model a restoration books, all parts dealers sell them, and a few clubs put out there own book on that, Mafca is a very good source for restoration books, just type model a restoration books in your search box
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
lance leblanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAtony View Post
mr. adam loop [sp] could have been the engine builder from BATON ROUGE,LA he died still building engines at about 92 years of age. He died around 3- 4 years ago.
Ahh...Mr Loop, first time I ever saw the inside of a model a engine was in his shop. Before ever meeting him, I was told he could build an model A engine with his eyes closed. After meeting him I believed that. (he had to be 90 then) I only wish I had gotten my engine to him before is passing.

I would be interested in knowing about a shop in LA that builds Model A engines.
When I looked for a repitable builder besides Mr. Loop and Richard LeBlanc I had very little success. And my work puts me in contact with hundreds of shops throughout LA

"When Solomon said there was a time and place for everything he had not encountered the problem of parking his automobile." Bob Edwards
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
ford3

Have you tried H&H ive used them for 3 engines, no problems
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
txturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAtony View Post
I don't know....it has changed hands a couple times since the motor was misplaced. I don't know who owned it then.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
ctvpa

Welcome, and you are going to enjoy the ride. If you have not done so, join a local club. There are some scam people still, and club members can steer your away from them. Next join one (or all three ) of the national Restorers clubs http://www.modelaford.org/index.htm or http://www.mafca.com/ or www.maffi.org/. Next buy this http://modelarestorers.3dcartstores....l-1-_p_27.html .
This is a set of 8 books that have how to fix almost anything http://www.mafca.com/pub_how2restore.html

Have fun, enjoy, and let us know if we can help. I've had mine since 1975, and it's always got me home. It cought fire 3 times, but I got home.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
1930artdeco

Welcome to the club! I think you will enjoy life in the slow lane.

Mike
Old 02-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
Robert/Texas

Ross Lilleker in College Station rebuilds (and works on) Model A's and T's. He rebabbited and replaced the crankshaft on my '28 roadster about two years ago. The engine runs great and I highly recommend him.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
txturbo

I don't need a motor rebuilt...I wanted to find the motor that was taken out to be rebuilt. Some machine shop somewhere has it or had it.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert/Texas View Post
Ross Lilleker in College Station rebuilds (and works on) Model A's and T's. He rebabbited and replaced the crankshaft on my '28 roadster about two years ago. The engine runs great and I highly recommend him.
I use to work for him. Great guy, and does GREAT babbit work
Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txturbo View Post
I don't need a motor rebuilt...I wanted to find the motor that was taken out to be rebuilt. Some machine shop somewhere has it or had it.
Where are you located in Texas. I might know someone in the area who can assist you if you need any help along the way.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
John LaVoy

Welcome to the Model A hobby. I think you will find it a great experience. I have used Antique Engine in Skokie, IL and Schwalms in PA. Both great builders.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
txturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Where are you located in Texas. I might know someone in the area who can assist you if you need any help along the way.
Rosenberg....SW side of Houston