Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Maclab58

Default horn

I hooked up my horn today and it would spin really slow but not make any noise. I cleaned the armature and it spins faster but still no ahooga. whats my next step?
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Jon-Ohio

Default Re: horn

Using a screwdriver, turn the serrated adjusting screw , on top of the motor frame , in until it forces the armature ratchet washer to contact the diaphragm and you get the desired ooogah
Jon-Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
Aerocraft

I would also check the the horn ground. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
fordfixer

Also oil the two felts on the motor shaft. One in front and one in the back. A couple drops and wait a little bit and then a couple more drops. Then spin the motor with electrical power. The speed should be quite fast now. Then adjust the horn for sound. Of course this is after you have put the cover back in place.
fordfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
peters180a/170b

And make sure its a orginial adj. screw.Most repro. are too long and will short out..
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
Ron in Quincy

You also might remove the bell and diaphram to expose the the lower end of the aramature; clean wheel and relube; I like boat wheel bearing grease, it has a 450 drop point, doesn't dry out, and stays in place. Also lube the end of the diaphram post.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
30ccpickup

I had to rewind the coils to get mine to work. I used 20 gauge coil wire, picked up at a local small motor repair shop. I was able to buy enough wire to rewind 3 or 4 horns for five dollars. When uncoiling your coils note the direction and the number of wire wraps (mine was 44 turns). The coils are mirrored copies of each other and are wound in opposite directions. While your horn is apart, re-solder all connections and clean all copper contacts. Check the springs on the brushes, if they are to strong they can cause excessive friction on the armature.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:29 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post
You also might remove the bell and diaphram to expose the the lower end of the aramature; clean wheel and relube; I like boat wheel bearing grease, it has a 450 drop point, doesn't dry out, and stays in place. Also lube the end of the diaphram post.

Ron
And, when you reassemble the horn, be sure the diaphram is in the correct orientation, as the chisel point need to hit the ratchet wheel squarely in the valley.

Also, after screwing the motor cover back on you may have to adjust the horn since the cover screw may pull the motor frame a bit and make the horn sound different than without the cover.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
2manycars

Contact cleaner, or brakekleen will clean the commutator and brushes for better contact. Over oiling of the shaft can cause grime to build up on the commutator. Check the spring pressure on the brushes. I think the original sintered brass brushes are better than the replacement carbon brushes.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote