Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
John Kuhnast

Default New Jersey registration

Always used collecter car plates on my 1931 pickup. Yesterday was told no longer vavailable. Collecter plates let you drive whever and whenever you want up to 3000 miles a year QQ plates are very restristive. Thinking of going with regular plates. Requires passing emissions test. Anyone have any advice on this? Thanks John
John Kuhnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: New Jersey registration

Some guy was asking about this just yesterday. He found a bunch of information!

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73313
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
sidevalve

Run the QQ plates! I have too many thoughts about NJ motor vehicle department to elaborate and dont want to be banned from this forum for foul language.
Just run the QQ plates as I do and drive as many miles as you want to.
Driving IS a RIGHT! NOT just a privilege.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidevalve View Post
Run the QQ plates! I have too many thoughts about NJ motor vehicle department to elaborate and dont want to be banned from this forum for foul language.
Just run the QQ plates as I do and drive as many miles as you want to.
Driving IS a RIGHT! NOT just a privilege.
Perhaps it is your opinion that driving in NJ is a right but according to the law it is a privilege in N.J. not a right.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

More important, it is a tax source and they don't want you running up miles on a cheap garage queen registration
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Doug in NJ

Yes. I got "collector car" plates (actually just a sticker for the windshield)
a few years ago for my '72 Triumph. But now they only give them out for certain types of cars less than 25 years old. When I have to take the Spit in every couple of years for checking the odometer and renewal, the guys have to go check the regs to be sure they are doing the right thing.

My "A" has QQ plates, and the cops never seem to mind when I drive it around town every couple of days. It might be cool to have regular plates, but then the insurance might get more complicated. I haven't figured out what exactly would be inspected on the "A" if it had a regular registration.

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kuhnast View Post
Always used collecter car plates on my 1931 pickup. Yesterday was told no longer vavailable.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
sidevalve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
Perhaps it is your opinion that driving in NJ is a right but according to the law it is a privilege in N.J. not a right.
You are exactly correct Mike, But that was sarcasm.LOL!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
Mikeinnj

Doug, The only thing that the NJ inspection stations inspect are exhaust emissions. No more safety checks. Your tires can be cracked and bald, brakes not working correctly, light bulbs burned out etc, they don't care and will not fail you for any equipment defects. The only thing they care about is the emissions readings and that your "check engine light" is not "on" and that your gas cap is sealed correctly. It makes no sense to me but that's what the DMV decided on. So be careful out there, there are a lot of rolling wrecks on the roads of NJ due to this change in the law.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #9
Kevin in NJ

I need to add to the NJ Inspection thing.

Well, yes the contractor that inspects the cars at the stations only look for emissions. This is required to get the federal $$$$$$.

BUT

There are these nice trucks operated by the state that do mobile inspections. If they find safety violations you get a nice little ticket. So you could be minding you business driving along and get find you get flagged to visit the nice truck. If too many of you tail lights are out, you glass is cracked too much or emissions are off then you get a fine or get to have your inspection failed.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Terry, NJ

Yes Indeedy! I have a Volks Jetta TDI (Diesel) . A section of the fuel line is clear, just so the nice inspector man can see what color fuel your running. In Pa. there are no emissions tests on diesels or cars with less than 5000 miles on the odometer from last year. And the plates are a one time buy for $75 (No Renewal) and no inspection and there are two classes, Classic 15-25 YO and 25 YO to whatever. Of course there is an annual inspection on your standard Gas cars and trucks.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
I need to add to the NJ Inspection thing.

Well, yes the contractor that inspects the cars at the stations only look for emissions. This is required to get the federal $$$$$$.

BUT

There are these nice trucks operated by the state that do mobile inspections. If they find safety violations you get a nice little ticket. So you could be minding you business driving along and get find you get flagged to visit the nice truck. If too many of you tail lights are out, you glass is cracked too much or emissions are off then you get a fine or get to have your inspection failed.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
Doug in NJ

On a car with OBD-II they don't even check the emissions. the just make sure that there are no codes. I got in and out of the place pretty quick the last time my "new" car needed an inspection...

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
Doug, The only thing that the NJ inspection stations inspect are exhaust emissions. No more safety checks. Your tires can be cracked and bald, brakes not working correctly, light bulbs burned out etc, they don't care and will not fail you for any equipment defects. The only thing they care about is the emissions readings and that your "check engine light" is not "on" and that your gas cap is sealed correctly. It makes no sense to me but that's what the DMV decided on. So be careful out there, there are a lot of rolling wrecks on the roads of NJ due to this change in the law.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
ronn

Too much drama- just run the antique tags and forget about it
or the regular plates and go see your friendly neighborhood service station for a 50. inspection.

Either way works and no, you are not going to be chased down by an inspection patrol....
Reads like a Steven King novel!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote