Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
YOJIMI

Default Line Boring a model A for inserts

Hello'
I am building a new engine block to put in my car,and I would like to use inserts. I've been laid off from my job ,and won't be called back till the end of aug... so the cost of a babbitt re-pour is out of the question.What I need to know is if when I remove the old babbitt , is the block machined the correct distance from the camshaft? I have a line boring machine , but no dedicated way to set it up for a model A block.My machine centers by sweeping a dial indicator in the housing bore , looks to me like I can make it work if the housing bore under the babbitt is the proper distance from the camshaft holes......I have already installed sleeves in the cylinders , seats for the valves ,and cut down the stem length on some big valves that were to long ,resurfaced the block ....spent less than $125 so far............thanks..... JIMI
YOJIMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
James Rogers

Default Re: Line Boring a model A for inserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOJIMI View Post
Hello'
I am building a new engine block to put in my car,and I would like to use inserts. I've been laid off from my job ,and won't be called back till the end of aug... so the cost of a babbitt re-pour is out of the question.What I need to know is if when I remove the old babbitt , is the block machined the correct distance from the camshaft? I have a line boring machine , but no dedicated way to set it up for a model A block.My machine centers by sweeping a dial indicator in the housing bore , looks to me like I can make it work if the housing bore under the babbitt is the proper distance from the camshaft holes......I have already installed sleeves in the cylinders , seats for the valves ,and cut down the stem length on some big valves that were to long ,resurfaced the block ....spent less than $125 so far............thanks..... JIMI
Probably not. I usually machine .070 out of the caps as opposed to .020 out of the block. The parting line is dead center of the crank line so you have to set up on that axis for the horizontal and the vertical is set by the adjusting jigs with my machine. Other machines work differently and I would suspect the vertical axis would be centered from side to side.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOJIMI View Post
Hello'
Mr. JIMI, what kind of align bore do you have? That will depend what process you use!! If you want it on the money. Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
YOJIMI

The machine that I have is a Serv-Equip , it looks and sets up like a Van Norman CB3200 , it has a 1 1/2 inch , and a 3/4 inch bar.I will be watching for a set of alignment jigs off of any machine , but doubtful on finding a set. I will probably have to make a set... Yesterday I indicated the camshaft tunnel in , front and back on a junk block and I am going to see if I can put replaceable cam bearings in it...... My wife came out to the shop and told me that she plans on running her car at the Newport Hill Climb this year ,and she sure would like to get a trophy

JIMI
YOJIMI is offline   Reply With Quote