Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2022, 10:39 AM   #1
John Gibson

Default 33 Won’t Start

I recently acquired a nice 33 Cabriolet and it was running fine until it just started cutting out, low/no power but I was close to home and made it back. It is all stock except I’m running a Stromberg 97 on a two Venturi to one Venturi adapter. Charlie NY just went through the carburetor. Once I got it back in the garage I was able to start it but it would not rev up at, just would run at a fast idle and then die out. Yesterday I tried it and it started up for a few seconds and quit. Rebuilt the original 33 fuel pump, no help. Changed the fuel pump, still won’t start. Pour gas down the carburetor which always work but still won’t start. I’m getting good fire to the plugs when I short them out, battery’s fully charged. Engine turns over just fine. All I can think might work is to change the condenser and ballast resister. Ammeter wiggles when engine is turning over when ignition switch is on, doesn’t move cranking engine with switch off. Anyone have any other suggestions? I’m stumped!
Thanks, John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BC7355F3-0E6E-43F4-BF2C-A97803D9AE54.jpg (84.0 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by John Gibson; 09-18-2022 at 09:05 AM.
John Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 11:43 AM   #2
slowforty

Default Re: 33 Won’t Start

Just jump the ignition resistor firs to see if there is any change. I had a bad one that worked intermittently. Drove me nuts trying to find the problem.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 11:45 AM   #3
John Gibson

That’s a good one! Thanks, John
Old 09-17-2022, 04:03 PM   #4
deuce_roadster

I have developed the habit of always looking at the ammeter when I crank over the engine on my cars that are 6v and have ammeters. If the needle wiggles, the points are "making and breaking" if the needle doesn't move the most likely reason is oxidation on the points. Very common problem that will prevent the coil from working and no fire.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 06:39 PM   #5
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gibson View Post
I recently acquired a nice 33 Cabriolet and it was running fine until it just started cutting out, low/no power but I was close to home and made it back. It is all stock except I’m running a Stromberg 97 on a two Venturi to one Venturi adapter. Charlie NY just went through the carburetor. Once I got it back in the garage I was able to start it but it would not rev up at, just would run at a fast idle and then die out. Yesterday I tried it and it started up for a few seconds and quit. Rebuilt the original 33 fuel pump, no help. Changed the fuel pump, still won’t start. Pour gas down the carburetor which always work but still won’t start. I’m getting good fire to the plugs when I short them out, battery’s fully charged. Engine turns over just fine. All I can think might work is to change the condenser and ballast resister. Anyone have any other suggestions? I’m stumped!
Thanks, John

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 02:10 PM   #6
63tango

I had the ignition coil bushing that rides on the rotor wear down on my 33 and it quit running.
63tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:20 PM   #7
John Gibson

I pulled the carburetor off today and it was bone dry in the float chamber. Pulled the NOS fuel pump off, removed the cover plate and it was bone dry also. Took the cover plate off the one I rebuilt using Renners Corner parts and it was about half full of gas. I’m going to send both pumps off to CharlieNY tomorrow. Guess I may have figured out the problem. Thanks all!
John
Old 09-18-2022, 03:47 PM   #8
kurt v

Is your gas line clear or got crap in it ?
kurt v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 04:04 PM   #9
35fordtn

John nice car! We plan to visit again next year And I hope to see it!
Be sure your line is clean and the flex line is good if that flex line has any crack or air leak it will prevent the pump from doing its job.
I use a later v8 diaphragm on 32/33 pumps by cutting it off the stem and use Viton check valves instead of the original phenolic.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 07:42 PM   #10
T Scott

You mentioned in your first post that the engine would not start even if you poured gas down the carburetor so you may not be out of the woods yet. Maybe some ignition problems there as well. Also, as mentioned in the above posts, how clean is your fuel line or tank, leaking flex line, sucking air?
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 09:06 PM   #11
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Scott View Post
You mentioned in your first post that the engine would not start even if you poured gas down the carburetor so you may not be out of the woods yet. Maybe some ignition problems there as well. Also, as mentioned in the above posts, how clean is your fuel line or tank, leaking flex line, sucking air?

When I am faced with that, I like to disconnect the ignition and run a hot wire. If something is grounding out it wont run.