Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2022, 12:28 PM   #1
hotrodcbx

Default Piston ring suggestions

After many miles my 286" 8BA is in need of a piston ring refresh. It was built by Mark Kirby (RIP) in 1995. It is superchaged (B&M blower) with a Potvin super 3/8. Any suggestions for replacement rings (3 rings)? Chrome?? Make etc. would be appreciated..
hotrodcbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 08:20 PM   #2
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Piston ring suggestions

Usually when the rings are shot, the bore is worn as well. Are you planning on just throwing rings in it and not bore it and put new pistons in it? If so, then depending on the pistons you have (ring sizes), you'll probably be limited on ring choices. When I order new pistons, I have switched over to 1.5 1.5 3.0mm metric ring packs, with chrome moly rings. I'm not sure you can actually get chrome moly rings in standard/older flathead ring sizes.

Hastings is probably the company to check out . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 08:20 AM   #3
cadillac512

I would recommend a ring set with a Moly top ring. Most premium ring sets will consist of a moly top ring, cast iron second ring, and a three part oil ring (a steel expander center with chrome plated top and bottom rails).

The term "chrome moly" does not apply to rings....they can be chrome or moly but not a chromoly alloy like other parts. (apologies to Bored and Stroked whose expertise I admire greatly )

Yes, Hastings would be a good choice and a place to start. Contacting Egge Machine may also yield a source of rings for your engine.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 11:08 PM   #4
Bored&Stroked

Terry is right on the rings. I used the term too loosely because in a lot of ring packages (more for modern engines), you had the choice of chrome top-rings or moly . . . we got used to just saying chrome-moly rings and then we would see what the manufacturer had. Most of the better ring packages today use some sort of moly/plasma coating - and rings can be made of cast iron, steel, etc.. There are a lot of ring choices in modern engines and quite a few if you have pistons with metric rings in a flathead.

If I'm building a custom big-bore flathead, I usually make sure I can get the rings I want first - and then have the pistons/bore done to suit. The metric rings are sized for metric bores, so they're not available in all the standard over sizes that we're used to in the USA. I'd probably check with Egge to see what is available.

If your engine is 286 cubes, then it is probably 4 1/8 stroke and 3 5/16 + .020 bore. That would be just under a 85mm ring - which is for a 3.346 bore. If it was mine, I'd probably go to a 85 mm bore (if you can get away with a very slight overbore) and get pistons made for 1.5, 1.5, 3.0 mm rings (check and see what is available in 85 mm).

I like the modern metric ring packages - much better quality rings, a lot less friction on the bore, etc..

PS: I've found that Ross Pistons is more than happy to work with you on custom piston sizes, ring packages, custom compression heights, etc.. -- they are what I usually use. If you call them directly, they can be super helpful. Then you can usually order the pistons through Summit Racing and only pay a small 'up charge' for the custom options.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote