Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2015, 05:09 AM   #1
M2M

Default What's the latest on the new Burlington cranks?

Does anyone have one? What's the price?

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:07 AM   #2
2manycars

Default Re: What's the latest on the new Burlington cranks?

Bratton's has them on the front page of the new catalog. $1250.

Last edited by 2manycars; 04-29-2015 at 03:06 PM.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:17 AM   #3
Chris in CT

Hi M2M,

I think Bratton's also has them, as well as several other dealers. They are made to the same specs and with the same forging mold as the "old" Burlington crank, and Model A folks should expect the same performance and reliability. The website by the new owner is up and online, and all you have to do is to type in Burlington Crankshaft into your search engine. Contact information is posted right there.
Chris in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
Flathead

For an inserted motor do these use the same inserts as the "old" Burlington crank? Are the journals the same size as the previous Burlingtons? Just curious, Thanks.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
For an inserted motor do these use the same inserts as the "old" Burlington crank? Are the journals the same size as the previous Burlingtons? Just curious, Thanks.
Yes. Read about it HERE on their website.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
Synchro909

M2M, The contact I gave you in Arizona is a friend of the guy who has the new Burlington cranks. I suggest you contact him for all the details. He is EXTREMELY helpful and honest.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:40 PM   #7
PC/SR

Just ordered one, $1309 including shipping to Calif. (Magnaflux showed two cracks in the old crank that I thought was fine.) Putting it in a babbit engine. The published specs are within .001 of the existing crank and closer than Ford tolerances so expect it will fit without new babbitt. Will measure everything first of course.
Will take a week or so for delivery, then going to do some mods (6 ARP bolts flywheel attachment to the crank flange, another story, thanks Jim Brierely), V8 clutch and lightened flywheel, will report back when I have some solid data and info. (Thanks to James Dreamworks for the lightened flywheel and who drilled the 2 extra bolt holes in the flywheel exactly on. A local machinist will drill the crankshaft flange to James' guide holes.)
Al at Burlington is a really nice and helpful guy. I really hope he can make a go of this because it is a real service to the A community. As noted, I thought my crank was fine, stock specs, the traditional ring was good, no sign of abuse, but a friend insisted on magnaflux and the verdict was that failure was just a matter of time. The things are just getting old and all metal will fail eventually.
Let me add that the cost of finding a decent crank, welding on counterweights, compensating for the weld, turning the crank, changing the clearances, etc, is really not much different from the cost of a purpose built crank such as the Burlington, which can be ordered for inserts if you want them. Do your research and make your own conclusion.

Last edited by PC/SR; 04-30-2015 at 10:56 PM.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:34 PM   #8
hardtimes

Hey PC,
Sounds like you've done your homework and all my best to you for a great build from this NEW crank !
You've got me thinking now . Was your cracked crank an A or B ?
I've done installed a late B /C with integral weights. It HAD the flange twisted off racing. New flange installed and everything looked great....no magnaflux, at least not by me. I'm also using poured babbitted mains/rods. I've got the faith that it is good Ford steel, but we'll see, eh ! Fit right into my B block with .010 under and came out with .0015 clearance on both mains/rods...talk about luck ! Those 4e4 boys are rough on stuff and Jim B is no exception with this crank ! But, I'm happy to give it another life and feel that it will last a long time !
The only thing stopping me from buying , as you did, is the A sized rod journals, and I like full B size crank. Best to you in your build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (67.8 KB, 69 views)
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:01 AM   #9
PC/SR

Yo Hardtimes: I had the A crank with counterweights added. No doubt the B crank is stronger. The flywheel bolt pattern in your pic is what I am going for. Do you use the plate to cover the dowels?
I fully expect the A size Burlington to be plenty good for what I do, ie, driver and hillclimb, and punching it out once in a while at the local drags just for fun. Will look for A cranks at BV this summer just to see, although the guys I hang with use B cranks or custom stuff for go-fast records. But my heart is with the As.

Last edited by PC/SR; 05-01-2015 at 02:08 AM.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #10
BlueSunoco

PC/SR.............thanks for posting your response and experience on this. We're getting ready for a rebuild this summer or fall, and from all I've read it's hard NOT to go to a new Burlington crankshaft. And you're right, by the time you try to recondition an 80 year old original you are into the crank for some good coin plus chances are it will give out on you anyway!!

These type of posts are the most helpful to me thanks again
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #11
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC/SR View Post
Yo Hardtimes: I had the A crank with counterweights added. No doubt the B crank is stronger. The flywheel bolt pattern in your pic is what I am going for. Do you use the plate to cover the dowels?
I fully expect the A size Burlington to be plenty good for what I do, ie, driver and hillclimb, and punching it out once in a while at the local drags just for fun. Will look for A cranks at BV this summer just to see, although the guys I hang with use B cranks or custom stuff for go-fast records. But my heart is with the As.
Hey PC,
You are having tooo much fun with this stuff !
No, I'm not using the dowel plate. I just used blue locktite and made sure that the dowels were in good/tight. I just used the six crank bolts....because this crank already had them and had been used to going FAST, eh ! Just want it to feel at home. Yeah, I might crank it up once in a while, but with all the $ used in its' new home, I figured that it should easily take it.
BTW..thanks for all your help in the past , and good luck in those hill climbs.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:26 PM   #12
31 Vicky

The Scat crank is an interesting option, they will offer it with B rod and main diameters.

A's Always
Dave
31 Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:23 AM   #13
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Vicky View Post
The Scat crank is an interesting option, they will offer it with B rod and main diameters.

A's Always
Dave
Hey Dave,
You are correct, as two weeks ago, I spoke with SCAT owner. He stated...let me know when you want me to make a full size B crank. Nice business man.
BTW...I was talking about the FIVE MAIN B crank, for Tods new block. He said that he would make either 4 or 5 main B upon request.

Last edited by hardtimes; 05-02-2015 at 02:25 AM. Reason: ..........
Old 05-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #14
jallison15

Thumbs up Re: What's the latest on the new Burlington cranks?

Hello all...Burlington Cranks are available for purchase and delivery!
And, demand has been such that didn't want to run low, so we've ordered our next lot-arrival anticipated next week.
Please be sure to visit our website www.burlingtoncrankshaft.com

We look forward to "Keeping your "A" on the Road"!
jallison15 is offline   Reply With Quote