Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Macs terrible service !!!!!!

Called MACS for a parts order today . Actually had my office manager call in a order , after 40 minutes on the phone , someone finally answered the call and wouldnt take the order until he talked to me as she was using a company card.
( Same one we always use for 21 years)
After some conversation, i couldnt understand the language the rep was speaking and told him so. He said in his best broken english "goodby" !!!!!!!!!!
Tried to get another 1-800 in all afternoon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
hotcoupe

Default Re: Macs terrible service !!!!!!

i`ll bet their saving money with their off shore customer service! i wouldn`t buy a piece of string from that place.
tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
1963turnerjohn

I have been buying from the smaller shops to
A) support the independent shops
B) show these mega $ companies they need to learn how to take care of customers!

If enough guys move away from these mega $ parts companies, they will be forced to change or move on.

Here's a really good parts shop - very helpful and fast.
http://www.yesteryearfordparts.com

Last edited by 1963turnerjohn; 08-06-2014 at 06:39 PM.
1963turnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoupe View Post
i`ll bet their saving money with their off shore customer service! i wouldn`t buy a piece of string from that place.
tom
You don't need to go offshore to find people who can't speak English worth a darn. Why these people end up in customer service jobs is beyond me.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
TagMan

I called MACS direct number (not the 800 number) last week and the phone was answered by the 2nd ring by an English speaking person in Lockport, NY. I was buying some parts to send to a friend in Oz and for some reason, they couldn't get his credit card to work (his problem). I asked them to switch the order to my name and address and gave them my credit card number and received the parts in under 30-hours !

I was stunned.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
trevo

Hi Guys thanks for the warning I am about to buy all the parts for the spare engine rebuild of my 34 21 studder I notice some catalogues dont carry everything I want dont want to buy bits off several suppliers who do you suggest?
trevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
oldskool

I stopped buying from them due to ultra high shipping cost.i will be using joblot from now on
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
Rowdy
BANNED

I have never bought from them and never plan to. I have read very little good about them. How they are still in business I will never know. Rod
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #9
alanwoodieman

I believe the customer service has gone down hill since the buyout--heard eckler's group bought them out?? they also purchased Rick's first gen camaro parts co and the service went to hxll. buy my V8 parts from V8 Store
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #10
35fordtn

In my honest opinion (which isn't much), we always hear of the negative side of vendors not the positive side. Most reproduction parts houses are selling each others stuff. Mac's produces many parts, both good and bad that all the other vendors sell. Same goes for Bob Drake, Vintique and so on. For sure Mac's customer service could improve, but I would never wish them or any to go out of business. That would mean even less parts available to us.In my opinion call a smaller more knowledgeable vendor (i.e Dick Spadero, Joes and Such) that are all likely Mac's dealers and buy from them.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevo View Post
Hi Guys thanks for the warning I am about to buy all the parts for the spare engine rebuild of my 34 21 studder I notice some catalogues dont carry everything I want dont want to buy bits off several suppliers who do you suggest?
I too have stopped using Macs ,regarding the big boys, I,v never had a problem with Carpenter or C&G,been using them for years .
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #12
Bertha

The tranny pan on our 53 has quite a bit of rust and some pinhole leaks, been shopping for one for quite awhile, found this place while surf'n the web.
Gave them a call, explained the situation, took my phone #, called back 1/2hr, later, had the NOS pan & fill tube in stock. Four day's later, parts in hand.

FWIW...Mac's is 1/2hr away, I only buy when standing in the showroom, with the original part in hand.

Bob
Old 08-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #13
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Trevo.... I use C&G, they give good service. Their shipping is reasonable. I also go to ebay and use NJParts. They are very good, and their prices and shipping are good. They have a lot of NOS engine stuff. I haven't used Joblot, but Brian in Masterton reckons they're good. I've also used Red's Headers, good service, shipping not too bad. Macs and Speedway have both lost me as a customer because of their shipping.
Incidentally, I'm firing up my engine this Saturday with the new ring job and new floaters. I'm a bit nervous about my fitting of the floaters!
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #14
funrunr

Quote:
I was in a very similar situation a few years back. I didn't want to pay 4or5 different shipping cost. I called Dick Spadaro and he gathered the parts from different vendors and charged one shipping cost. He was very helpful with suggestions too. Knowing he buys from multiple vendors I did request none of the parts I needed come from Mac's and he understood. There are plenty out there that are still good, but it pays to do your homework. (Dick's employees are very knowledgable too and will help while he's in the hospital)
Old 08-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #15
KiWinUS

I also Macs called today waited 2 mins then a very nice lady (have her name written down at work) took my order , I knew the parts 3.s I wanted . She asked a few questions that told me she knew nothing about the parts mac sells . BUT she was very nice & courteous & at the end of the call asked if she had done a good job . I replied yes .
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #16
ct1932ford

Never use Mac's. I have learned a long time ago.
Try Joe's you won't be disappointed. joesantiqueauto.com
Old 08-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #17
oldford2

C'mon guys, Most of you are listed as senior members so you have read all this "stuff" before. Deal with the guys you get service from. Please, let's stop. The horse is dead

Last edited by oldford2; 08-06-2014 at 07:26 PM.
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #18
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Guys give them a chance !! They will get up to speed they employ a lot of good Americans ,They sell my stuff so I have a vested interest but ,they have far more resources than Macs had to introduces new products, In my previous lot of parts I got in some made in Taiwan ,Japan /ect I thought they were very good quality .They do strive to keep prices low . I think we are lucky to get the range of stuff for our V8s ,you will not get the same for a Buick or Chev Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 08-06-2014 at 08:03 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #19
okiedokie

I personally have never had a problem with Macs, before or after the Ecklers deal. Bought quite a bit while working on my brothers F1. Maybe things have taken a turn for the worse.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #20
quickchange34

Trevo give Joblot Auto call in Queens , New York They will have everything you need for your engine. You will get good service and guy who is very helpful on the phone.
quickchange34 is offline   Reply With Quote