Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Brakes and frame flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeesey View Post
I have a 25 degree grade going up into my shop, a lift to act as a speed bump, and a 4ft thick brick/concrete wall to stop me. As long as it is my car that gets messed up all is good. I'm never that stupid with customer cars.
Alone at my shop one night, couldn't push Cindy's VW, without the motor, up my dad blamed RAMP!! Putt'er in first gear, snapped Vice-Grips on the trans input shaft, & spun 'er up the "HILL" with ONE FINGER! Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CINDY'S BUG.jpg (12.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #22
Phil Wilson

Has anyone taken a look at the wishbone itself? Just check along the length of each arm to ensure it's straight from the ball to the perch pins. If you have brakes that lock up, on the front, a bent wishbone (even a 1/8 - 1/2") will change the caster on the wheels. It will also move your expected 15 degree front brake actuating arms "forward tilt" back a few degrees into the "actuating" mode. = brakes are being applied. This gets accentuated whenever you go over any bumps that lifts the axle up sharply, thus the brakes are on.
After you've followed the advice of the prior submitted advisors, just take a moment to use a known good straight edge and check the wishbone itself. I have two bent ones to prove this theory, and no idea as to how to straighten them back to original shape. Any ideas?
Philip
Phil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #23
Brian in Wheeling

Thanks to all for your excellent suggestions and help. After some more thought and inspection...and trying to replicate the problem at will, I narrowed the problem to the driver's side front. Sure enough as several of you suggested ( I think Bill Williamson was first?) it appears the brake rod now has a bend in it where it was hitting the driver side shock, thus shortening the rod and applying the brake. At first I thought the rears were affected but it appears it was only the left front.

Thanks again,
Brian W.
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #24
colin1928

Check the bones for loose or worn coupling
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote