Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Doug in NJ

Default Mounting window glass in channels

Hello,

I finally have new laminated safety glass for all my windows. I had it made by a nearby glass and upholstery shop that was familiar with antique cars.

The S/W side windows use a special rubber strip to mount the glass into the metal channels that the regulator arms attach to. This strip is pure rubber (no cork or canvas), and has a special flap that sticks out to provide a seal against the body when the window is rolled up.

Is there any particular adhesive or sealant that I should use between the glass the the rubber, or the rubber and the metal channel? Or is friction supposed to be sufficient?

Thanks,

Doug
Old 08-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Craig Lewis

Default Re: Mounting window glass in channels

I've done quite a few and never seen them glued.
Wrap the rubber around with perhaps some masking tape to hold it temperarily. Lube the rubber with some mineral spirits, then drive it on using a long enough board on each end to spread out the pressure, while being carefull not to collapse the channel.
I would suggest a folded towel between the wood and the glass edge because laminated glass is very fragile.
(Laminated should really only be used in windshields...with the full support of frame)
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
Roger V

As you know from your prior thread, I just finished installing all eight pieces. I used Dawn liquid dish soap to lube the rubber. I used a rubber mallet to drive the channel over the rubber (already installed on the glass). After hitting one end then the other, it tended to cantaliever so I tried the slotted track in the middle and it seemed to bend so quit doing that. After fighting and cussing I got them installed. I had the problem installing the quarter windows and I think it was you who said I'd have to remove the regulator panel. I realized the prior restorer(??) had the keyhole in the slot on the wrong end forwhich I duplicated on the new glass. In removing to reverse direction, I found I'll never have to worry about it coming out as it bonded when the soap dried. After all of this I found a better way to install the glass. I took two sliding rubber jawed wood worker's clamps. By having one on each end I tightened each going back and forth. Worked slick with way less cocking, strain, time, and cussing!

My question: What did the eight pieces cost in your area and did they get the edges ground without waves?
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Doug in NJ

Thanks! I did one quarter window, and the mineral spirits trick worked well. It lubes well, then evaporates.

BTW, I noticed a funny thing last weekend: my mother has a circa-2001 Volvo station wagon, and all the side windows are laminated, not tempered. That's the first time I have ever noticed that on a "modern" car.

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lewis View Post
I've done quite a few and never seen them glued.
Wrap the rubber around with perhaps some masking tape to hold it temperarily. Lube the rubber with some mineral spirits, then drive it on using a long enough board on each end to spread out the pressure, while being carefull not to collapse the channel.
I would suggest a folded towel between the wood and the glass edge because laminated glass is very fragile.
(Laminated should really only be used in windshields...with the full support of frame)
Old 08-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Roger V

Quote:
I realize that modern vehicles have laminated glass in the windshield and tempered glass in the rest of the windows, but the windshield is not framed but glued to the opening. Therefore, I don't see the need to be supported by the frame.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
Craig Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger V View Post
I realize that modern vehicles have laminated glass in the windshield and tempered glass in the rest of the windows, but the windshield is not framed but glued to the opening. Therefore, I don't see the need to be supported by the frame.

I'm unclear on what you mean.

Laminated glass IS supported by the frame in a modern car by the simple fact that urethane sealer bonds the circumference of the windshield to a very rigid frame.
Likewise, a Model A windshield frame encircles & supports the fragile edge. Many cars of the 40's and 50's which still used laminated side glass featured a heavy channel which pressed over the exposed door glass edge in an effort to support the fragile edge.
Laminated glass is still used for windshields as it keeps the pieces together my means of an .030 thick vinyl centre core which aids in keeping the occupants from ejecting out the front...think of it as "staying at the scene of the accident"

Laminated side glass>>>In the event of a rollover, a rescuer would have to chop through laminated glass with an axe and try to pull victims through a stretchy vinyl opening encircled with bonded glass shards.
I suggest anybody who wants further insight to speak with your local firemen & traffic rescue crews.

Tempered side glass>>>In the event of a rollover, a rescuer(or the occupants) can strike tempered side glass with a sharp object and it bursts into a million tiny cubes, falling away and leaving a clear escape.

Tempered glass can be ordered in any thickness or size , usually for slightly more cost than laminated. You simply bring the shop a cardboard pattern which fits your car the way you desire...and they order the glass. The safety & strength factor far outweighs the cost in my opinion.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
IGotIt

I'm in the fire service and we cut laminated glass all the time on auto extracations. Its no big deal at all. If they are taking windows out to get you out I'm sure the body is being cut apart also so they can work around either type of glass
IGotIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i have laminated glass all the way around no problems
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
Craig Lewis

That's great, I truly hope you enjoy your car and have no problems.
I just wanted to point out the difference between tempered and laminated glass and clear up any missunderstandings why it's used exclusively(almost) in modern cars.

As for the rescue worker who finds no troubles cutting through laminated glass with $125,000 equipment ... has he any suggestions for folks when he's arrived too late?
Old 08-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
wrndln

I think Craig is right. I think tempered looks better (on exposed glass like the roll up glass in doors) and has a better safety advantage. I plan to use it on my cars except of course the windshield, which has to be laminated.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote