Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #21
skip
Banned

Default Re: Tricks for downshift?

Yep to down shift I don't use the clutch unless my timing is thrown off. You want that transmixer turning at speed of the engine.

So think of this in reverse. When up shifting 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 your slowing the engine down and kicking the transmixer speed up. And that requires double or triple clutching.

And when down shifting your speeding the engine up to match the tranmixer speeds.

skip. I don't think I can really explain this. I just do it.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #22
ursus

If you follow the suggestion to install a magnet in the drain plug, take note of the key word: "affix". I don't know what the best method is, but have to think that somebody can suggest a good adhesive to lock that magnet in the depression in the drain plug. I plan on doing this with my next rebuild as I have poked around inside several transmission with a magnetic probe and been surprised by the amount of nasty bits found.

I remember a Fordbarn warning posted several years ago from a guy that simply relied on the magnetic force of the magnet. One cold day the thick oil exerted enough force to dislodge the magnet, carrying it through a newly rebuilt transmission with disastrous results. Ouch!
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #23
V4F

if you will go to neutral (clutch in), blip the throttle , then slip it into second . .. it takes a few times to be smooth . .. steve