Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2024, 12:45 PM   #1
Orca62

Default Model B Ford 4 cylinder identification

Hi, I just acquired a Model B engine that was in storage for over 40 years. My question is how do I identify what year it is, and if it has a counter balanced crankshaft. Previous owner pulled it from a believe a 1932 Ford couple to install a V-8 engine. Thanks.
Orca62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 02:11 PM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: Model B Ford 4 cylinder identification

32 4cyl engines started at 5.000,000. and the Decermber ending log number was 5.179,579. Jan 1933 started with 5,179,580 and ended in December log #5,263,534. 1934 was starting 5,263,535 to 5,292,536. The counter balanced crank was put into running production in November of 1932 but NO exact engine number listed as the start!!! SO somewhere around "5,165,402 ish to 5,175,635 ish" started the counter balanced crank....potential rebuilds and or replacements NOT withstanding.

Last edited by rockfla; 05-06-2024 at 02:23 PM.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 02:19 PM   #3
rockfla

Sorry but I don't have a picture of the standard B crank compared to a counterweighted counterpart, ALL I have is a B crank (left) compared to an A crank (right). I would "think" the drill holes on the lobes of the crank as seen on the left crank would be the indicator???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ModelBvsAcrank.JPG (126.6 KB, 281 views)
Old 05-06-2024, 02:30 PM   #4
cas3

Thats my photo above, they are both B cranks, just one early and one late. Sometimes you can see thru the fuel pump hole or the oil fill hole with a flashlight to see if it has the counter balanced crank
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 02:34 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
32 4cyl engines started at 5.000,000. and the Decermber ending log number was 5.179,579. Jan 1933 started with 5,179,580 and ended in December log #5,263,534. 1934 was starting 5,263,535 to 5,292,536. The counter balanced crank was put into running production in November of 1932 but NO exact engine number listed as the start!!! SO somewhere around "5,165,402 ish to 5,175,635 ish" started the counter balanced crank....potential rebuilds and or replacements NOT withstanding.
Unfortunately the "engine" number appears on the flywheel housing and he didn't say he had that.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 02:45 PM   #6
DavidG

If the engine's bell housing is absent, that's where the engine number was stamped. The front timing gear cover will identify it as being a '32 or '33-'34 if the bell housing is missing. Can you provide a photo of the front of the engine?
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 02:46 PM   #7
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Thats my photo above, they are both B cranks, just one early and one late. Sometimes you can see thru the fuel pump hole or the oil fill hole with a flashlight to see if it has the counter balanced crank
I stand corrected then!!!
Old 05-06-2024, 04:02 PM   #8
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Sorry but I don't have a picture of the standard B crank compared to a counterweighted counterpart, ALL I have is a B crank (left) compared to an A crank (right). I would "think" the drill holes on the lobes of the crank as seen on the left crank would be the indicator???

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 04:06 PM   #9
KiWinUS

Here’s a counter weighted B crank I just removed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (57.4 KB, 288 views)
KiWinUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 06:06 PM   #10
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Here’s a counter weighted B crank I just removed.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 05-06-2024, 07:42 PM   #11
Newc

Pressed on counter weights can block the regrinding stones. Intake styles did change a bit. Is there a diamond casting mark on head or block? Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 08:24 PM   #12
Orca62

O.K. Thanks for the replies. No bell did not come with it. So I will take photos of front cover and start there. And I will try and look down fuel pump hole to see what I can. Will take me a day or two before I get back on this but will report back. Motor is going into sprint car circa 1940,s. I have a Model A transmission and a lightened flywheel assembly for it. Was looking up adapting the Model A transmission to the B motor. I will only be using transmission for in/out box high gear only. o not know how much of a chore it is to adapt Model A gearbox to B motor. Or just locate a B transmission and gut it. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2024, 12:29 AM   #13
J Franklin

If you plan to use the engine, drop the pan and take a proper look.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 12:26 PM   #14
Charlie Stephens

I did exactly what you are asking about several years ago. The engine in my ’31 RDPU was tired and need to be replaced. I had a recently rebuilt “B” engine under the bench. I kept the Model A flywheel housing. I cut off the back of the Model B oil pan since it interfered with the Model A flywheel housing. I left a strip of metal on the pan rather than risk a leak from removing the rivets. Everything bolted together. It is my understanding that if I need to drop the rear main to adjust shims, I might have to pull the engine.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5916 (1).jpeg (71.9 KB, 226 views)
Old 05-07-2024, 02:11 PM   #15
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
I did exactly what you are asking about several years ago. The engine in my ’31 RDPU was tired and need to be replaced. I had a recently rebuilt “B” engine under the bench. I kept the Model A flywheel housing. I cut off the back of the Model B oil pan since it interfered with the Model A flywheel housing. I left a strip of metal on the pan rather than risk a leak from removing the rivets. Everything bolted together. It is my understanding that if I need to drop the rear main to adjust shims, I might have to pull the engine.

Charlie Stephens

Old 05-09-2024, 08:23 PM   #16
Orca62

O.K. I got a quick chance to get in the garage today and look at the timing cover. It looks like a 1933-34 cover according to a website. It is going to rain the next 2 days but as soon as it ends I will back out our Corvette and get the B motor out of it's nitch to photograph it and try and take a peek in the fuel pump hole. Yes I will be tearing down the motor pan to see what the bottom looks like then move accordingly what should be done. And thank you for the A box to B engine conversion. Do not know which way to go yet but will keep my options open. Guess my question will be supporting the motor and transmission on the believe 1925 or1926 Model T chassis that the sprint car was made from. Trying to determine holes where engine tranny would have bolted up to the chassis. I will not need a clutch as it will be an in /out box setup but need to determine how the power plant was suspended. I may have a source for a Model B box complete but taken apart. Price will determine that. As I said will be gutting the innards and only be using high gear. And of course modify the shifter handle. My other race car was a V-8 60 tin side with the bell housing chopped off to safe weight and space so the motor was bolted to a motor plate and a Model A gear box gutted with high gear only bolted to the rear of the motor plate and a sawed off bent shifter handle bolted to the back side of the motor plate. And I had a clutch spud on the crank so no flywheel so she could spin up quickly. That is the way she was built and raced.

If I could fit a clutch pedal in the cockpit and an on board starter in this racer it would be more convenient and maybe keep all the gears in the transmission. Racer will be for exhibition shows only. Thank you for the help.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:45 PM   #17
Charlie Stephens

I doubt a '33-'34 engine was pulled from a '32. Here is a picture of the front cover for a '33-'34. Note that the mount for the generator sets the generator back towards the rear of the car to allow for the fan to be set back to clear the sloped radiator on a '33-'34. See first photo. The water pump is shorter, see second photo (the '32 is on the left). The front pulley is also shorter (no photo).

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6587.jpeg (44.4 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg Card1 043 (1).jpg (59.2 KB, 158 views)
Old 05-09-2024, 09:29 PM   #18
DavidG

A '33-'34 four will fit in a '32 chassis, especially if it has the early '33 front motor mount bracket with the same front motor mount spacing on the front cross member of 12" like '32s.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 12:14 AM   #19
cas3

Davidg, not a 32 chassis if I am reading this correctly, but model T.

The last 2 years of T production they put a Vin number on the right rail about in the center of the door jamb. They also increased the thickness of the rail about that time which is why it was the preferred dirt track chassis.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 02:04 AM   #20
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
I doubt a '33-'34 engine was pulled from a '32. Here is a picture of the front cover for a '33-'34. Note that the mount for the generator sets the generator back towards the rear of the car to allow for the fan to be set back to clear the sloped radiator on a '33-'34. See first photo. The water pump is shorter, see second photo (the '32 is on the left). The front pulley is also shorter (no photo).

Charlie Stephens