Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2024, 06:26 PM   #21
JayChicago

Default Re: Installing a wiring harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens 36 View Post
You would be much better off installing a correct harness from a reputable supplier.
Sorry.
Ken
I agree. I'm not familiar with the product you bought, but a "universal" harness may just give you lots of wires, and maybe a generic "universal" fuse panel. You will have lots of head-scratching. A correct harness made for your specific car will have everything cut to fit, will go right in exactly as the old wires came out. Worth the extra expense. Will maintain the resale value of your car.

And it will have the start button wire your car needs.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 07:57 PM   #22
52flthed

I would estimate $4,000 in labor to replace all wiring harnesses in the car.
52flthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 06:17 AM   #23
tomkc1

Babyboomerboy could be me. I'm a baby boomer, too. I purchased a wire harness from Tyree Harris for my 1934 Ford almost 10 years ago. The harness sat in my garage for 5 years. During that time I looked at it and debated "should I tackle it?" Finally I talked to my local mechanic who told me he'd be willing to change the harness. He's a competent mechanic, extremely reasonable and "loves" working on my car.
I had to be patient and wait until he had the time but he got it done. That was 4 years ago. He did a great job and if I told you what he charged me you wouldn't believe it.
I've had my grandfather's car for over 50 years now. I'm not mechanical and know my limits. Between a dear friend/mechanic now deceased from Massachusetts, the Ford Barn members and others I've met along the way I have a 90 year old vehicle that I can drive anytime I want. Today I'm taking it to our local library's annual fundraiser.
Babyboomerboy I understand your dilemma. Good luck.
Tom
tomkc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 09:11 AM   #24
Shoebox

"Will I have to remove any more of the interior to get the wires to the back of the car for the taillights?"

I recently rewired my '51 Tudor and the back wires went up the A pillar, above the headliner and down into the trunk. I believe one could run under door scuff plate and along floor into trunk, would have to tap into existing wire perhaps for the pillar light.

As others have strongly recommended, use a proper (not universal) harness from a reputable supplier.

I removed my dash because I was painting and detailing the dash and all the gauges, but with the seat removed and some good light under dash you would be fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg REWIRED DASH.jpg (93.9 KB, 53 views)

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar

Last edited by Shoebox; 03-09-2024 at 09:19 AM.
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 09:14 AM   #25
farmertom

tomkc1, your '34 looks like Bonnie and Clyde ambush car.nice!! the before ambush pic.Tom.
farmertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 10:30 AM   #26
baceves

I would suggest paying a professional to install the wiring. Well worth every penny. Folks pay a few thousand easily for chrome trim and pay a ton for paint and body in regard to the exterior of their car but go cheap on the electrical.
baceves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 10:33 AM   #27
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
"Will I have to remove any more of the interior to get the wires to the back of the car for the taillights?"

I recently rewired my '51 Tudor and the back wires went up the A pillar, above the headliner and down into the trunk. I believe one could run under door scuff plate and along floor into trunk, would have to tap into existing wire perhaps for the pillar light.

As others have strongly recommended, use a proper (not universal) harness from a reputable supplier.

I removed my dash because I was painting and detailing the dash and all the gauges, but with the seat removed and some good light under dash you would be fine.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 10:17 AM   #28
Scott52

With the dash out and a car specific harness the job is much easier. You can see much of what you are doing under the dash out in the open.
Scott52 is offline   Reply With Quote