Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2023, 09:00 AM   #1
Doug Black

Default 34 brakes

I want to add a duel mc to my stock 34 pedals. It has juice brakes already but was never finished. I don’t want to cut up the frame. How can I do this without spending $600 on a conversion kit? Any pictures and info would be great.
Doug Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 11:19 AM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: 34 brakes

How about some pictures? Here is what I did on my '32. It is still single but using a dual would have been easy. I realize it is a giant leap from a K member to an X member but I thought it might give you some ideas..

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Card1 032.jpg (86.1 KB, 98 views)
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 12:47 PM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
How about some pictures? Here is what I did on my '32. It is still single but using a dual would have been easy. I realize it is a giant leap from a K member to an X member but I thought it might give you some ideas..

Charlie Stephens

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 03:00 PM   #4
51504bat

Dual M/C

https://carrillocustoms.com/collecti...ual-reservoirs

Early ford 3 bolt master cylinder w/dual reservoirs
all new 3 bolt master cylinders combine tradition and a little modernization for added safety. No more need for a adapter.
Master cylinder is 1” bore. No built in residuals. May need residual valves and proportioning valve added to brake lines.
Old 09-25-2023, 12:36 PM   #5
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Black View Post
I want to add a duel mc to my stock 34 pedals. It has juice brakes already but was never finished. I don’t want to cut up the frame. How can I do this without spending $600 on a conversion kit? Any pictures and info would be great.
If you're not wanting to buy one of the Lacy conversion kits, you'll be on your own to fabricate a setup that doesn't do any sort of cutting or drilling to the frame.

Keeping the battery in the original location will limit what you do, and likely force you to put the master cylinder in the middle of the X like the Lacy kit. Unfortunately, that also puts it in a location that can be difficult to fill and monitor fluid level (since there's no access from above).

Relocating the battery would allow you to use that space as well as the access hole. That would be the route I'd take, but would require modification to the pedal assembly (which really wouldn't be that big of a deal given that they're a bolt-in item and readily available).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
The '34 doesn't have hydraulic brakes originally. Bracketry and pedal linkage needs to be devised and installed first.

That master cylinder is really only useful for folks with the '39-40 type pedal assemblies that don't want to change the mounting pattern to that of a modern master cylinder. Retaining the old pattern really limits master cylinder availability and ties you into using a specialized part - not the wisest idea.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote