Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #21
Jason in TX

Default Re: Buehrig replica

I was just about to comment about the same thing that the rear body is a little too long.

If you notice the original side profile picture, the rear body appears to be in line with the pinnacle of the rear fender. On the reproduction, the fender is starting to slope down and that is where the body meets the fender line. I think the top looks to long as well.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #22
Brad in Germany

OK, I'll jump in here with some pictures of how the Germans did it. The first attached photo is of a Drauz Cabriolet with the top up.

....and here it is with the top down:

....and for those analyzing the top, here is a photo of a German bodied Cabriolet heading into the paint shop (Spritzerei) before the top material, trunk and rear fenders have been installed. You can also see in this photo which part of the car body is original Ford (front fenders, cowl, headlights, front bumpers and hood) and which has been added by the body company (everything in back of the cowl, including the running board splash aprons).

There were many different styles using the same general extended Cabriolet theme, manufactured in just about every country in Europe it seems. Some had trunks on the back, others had none; some used the standard Ford fenders and running boards, others had different ones, etc, etc, etc.

Here is another German one made by Bühne (Note the "B" manufacturer's tag below the cowl light just above the running board.)

Yes, these are all based on a Ford Model A chassis (sometimes slightly modified/lengthened) and running gear (note the radiator shroud and headlights). Most had longer doors than the standard Model A doors as well as slanted and chopped windshields. Note also the trafficators.

Fordially,
Brad in Germany

Last edited by Brad in Germany; 10-20-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #23
Stretch Cab

Very interesting posts. My "Club" Cabriolet came from Argentina with the inside extension as seen in the pictures. My top works but is not right as it would hit the rear passengers in the head when down. I'm thinking some guy with a good torch and a larger family made mine. I think a top modeled after a 400A would look nice and probably will go with that design and sell the folding top pieces. The metal work was good and I still can't figure out where the splices were but then, I'm no expert!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cab4.jpg (48.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 1930 Cabriolet -After (Special Body).jpg (51.3 KB, 58 views)
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #24
Roadster62

Brad, Thank you for posting those photos and the history that goes with them. They all look attractive to me, are there many that have survived?
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #25
Brad in Germany

Default How may are left?

Bob,

Off the top of my head, I know of six of these special bodied Model A's in various places throughout the world. I have counted even more 1932 Fords (both V8's and 4CYL) with these special bodies.

Finding a special bodied Euro Model A for sale is at the top of my Model A shopping list.....if you happen to know of one around somewhere by chance.....

Fordially,
Brad in Germany

Last edited by Brad in Germany; 10-21-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #26
Jason in TX

Here is another German Model A bodied car that there was a photo of on eBay

Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:47 PM   #27
Roadster62

Brad, Do you think these bodies were heavier than a standard Ford factory body? If they had the smaller displacement Euro Ford engines they must have been rather slow. Good luck in your search, I think there was a 1932 version for sale in Sweden 4-5 months ago. Hope you watch the PreWarCar.com web site. Bob
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #28
Jack Richard

Attached are photos of my latest project, a replica of Gordon Buehrig’s modified 1930 Model A Ford Cabiolet 68B. He named the car Baby, and said in later years it was his favorite car he ever owned, and wrote quite a bit about it over the years, including magazine article with good photos of the original car. I was inspired to build my car after I restored a Cord 810 and became a fan of Buehrig, and I started in 6 years ago with a rusty disassembled 68B Cabriolet body. I did all the restoration and fabrication myself on my Baby II, including paint, top and upholstery, except for the engine work that was done by H&H in Los Angeles. There have been several other replicas of his car done, and the previous post is one of the first version of Buehrig’s Baby. I wanted to build one inspired by his second version done in 1932, where he re-modified the car by painting it a deep maroon (instead of the orange-red paint), modified the front radiator shell, headlights, and added an aerodynamic piece below the radiator. He wrote he wanted it to appear more like his favorite car of the time, the Hispano Suiza. He also fitted Goodyear Airwheel disk wheels and tires, and added an aluminum engine-turned dash with custom aircraft instruments. I took some liberties with my replica by adding heat and a/c, 12 volt system, radio, and probably more aircraft style instruments than the original had. I tried to keep my modifications in the spirit of the original car, and used era components where possible and tried to keep it from looking like a new hot rod. I could not find the Goodyear Airwheels, so I use 16” Kelsey Hayes wire wheels with aluminum wheel disks (that many classic era cars used over wire wheels). I plan to tour this car a lot and exhibit it at the Forest Grove Concours in Portland, Ore, next month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BuehrigModelAemail2.jpg (41.8 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5829.jpg (90.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5835.jpg (93.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg BuehrigModelAfront.jpg (61.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5823.jpg (81.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg v02i4p12croppedrear.jpg (45.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5826.jpg (72.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Motor8-31Buehrig3email.jpg (47.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5842.jpg (135.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5847.jpg (76.8 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5848.jpg (89.8 KB, 122 views)
Jack Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #29
bobpo

I took several pictures of this "Duesenburg Model A" at the French Lick Meet. It is an awesome car in my humble opinion, not considering the original. The metal work that went into the car is incredible. Just the extension of the metal in the hood is impressive. I talked to the owner and was quite inpressed. I wish I was capable of producing something like this. Then I could make a Model A Ferrari...LOL
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #30
Joop

Thanks for posting the pictures, great looking car.
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #31
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post

Shame to nitpick a brave endeavor, but when you try to emulate a master you set yourself up for that kind of critique if you don't execute effectively.
Even more amazing how it seems the ones that offer the unsolicited critiques about someone else's craftsmanship are the very ones who have never attempted to execute something even remotely as difficult themselves.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #32
gweilbaker

Is this a replica too? It was at Sharon WI this last weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1225a.jpg (107.6 KB, 44 views)
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #33
Super88

Here's any shot of the car at Sharon from a different angle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sharon Model A Day 2011_DSC1873.jpg (414.7 KB, 34 views)
Super88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #34
Mikeinnj

Who is this "Buerhig" ?
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #35
Jack Richard

Gordon Buehrig was a famous classic car designer who worked for Auburn Automobile Company in the early 30's, and designed many cars that are considered the best of the best. He worked first for Duesenberg (owned by Auburn) as a body designer, then was transferred to redesign the 34 Auburn. As a young designer in 1930 he purchased a new Model A Ford 68B Cabriolet (convertible coupe, with rumble seat) and redesigned the body to accomodate the third passenger inside the top, sitting sideways. This was a popular body style (although it usually had a regular rear seat in larger cars) called a Victoria Convertible. He took his new Ford to Augie Duesenberg's shop (his brother Fred was running Duesenberg Auto company, Augie was building race cars). They removed the rear of the body behind the doors and constructed new wooden body frame and fabricated the rear tub out of aluminum. He had it painted and upholstered by Duesenberg Auto employees, and he drove it 4 years. He said it was his favorite car ever, and he tried for years later on to reclaim it, but never did as the original had been salvaged. Buehrig designed his most famous car in 1934-35 which was the 1936 Cord 810 sedan. This car has been called one of the most beautiful ever designed, but it was not a financial success, and Buehrig left the company in 1936. He later worked many year for Ford Motors, and was the inventor of the "T" top, but never achieved the kind of design success he did as a young man. There are several good books about the man and his cars, good reading. The attached article is from the Ford Times published 2-'53.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-53FordTimes email.jpg (102.4 KB, 39 views)
Jack Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #36
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
Who is this "Buerhig" ?

Automotive designer / stylist

I believe his most famous / enduring creation was the "coffin-nose" Cord 810 and 812. ( 1936-'37)
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #37
Patrick L.

Are the door panels really that rough or is it just an illusion?? I like the little roadster next to it though..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #38
Mikeinnj

Exactly my opinion Uncle Bob and the color scheme is one off from "rust". And I agree with your comment "when you try to emulate a master you set yourself up for that kind of critique if you don't execute effectively."......
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #39
Roadster62

Some of the German bodied cars look rather nice, if one found a nice one could it be given a "Fine Point" restoration and have any hope of winning?