Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
Charles Seims

Default 1928 Interior Details

Some years ago I obtained 1928 Business Coupe. It was a badly worn but fairly authentic old restoration done in Niagra/Duchess Blue. All the interior metal trim was painted body color. The DeAngelis restoration guide, which I consider to be the most authoritative, states on page 66 that the interior garnish moldings (door top strips, inside of windshield pillars, and the curved panel at the top of the dashboard were items installed separately on the trim line and painted either light buff or gray, depending on the interior. Other sources, such as the Antique Ford Repaint Manual say the same thing.

These distinctive and contrasting colors should be very evident on show restored cars and in photographs. But almost no one does this on restorations that I have seen. Nor have I seen it Restorer Magazine articles featuring so-called original unrestored Model A's. Likewise I have never seen a Ford factory photo which shows this. Some show light colored door strips but the curved dash panel appears to be body color.

If anyone out there has a factory photo showing buff or gray moldings, please share it with us. I will say the buff moldings look a little strange at first, but I'm getting used to them.

Charles S.
Charles Seims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:21 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: 1928 Interior Details

Charlie,

Have you reviewed the current issue of the MARC/MAFCA Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards for paint variations on your 1928 Business Coupe?

Most Factory Photos are in black and white...not color.

Could you also tell us just what the Assembly Plant letters and number codes are?

Also...Is there a date on your gas tank?

Thanks.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:50 AM   #3
Charles Seims

Have not seen the new guidelines, but the earlier version that I have indicates the garnish moldings for this paint scheme are to be light buff. Have never seen letter or number codes on this car and would not know where to look. The firewall date is 12-28-28 so it is a very late model. The car came from Washington State and has had the original serial number ground off and replaced with a Washington DMV ID.

Never having seen a sample of light buff, I painted with Krylon Khaki color, which is probably pretty close. Takes a little getting used to.

Charles S.
Charles Seims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 04:08 PM   #4
moasew

Hi, i'm just seeing this message now. I repainted my mouldings to the exact color of the untouched inside of the mouldings which appaears to have been Moulding Grey from the paint guide.My car is now a freshly restored early Canadian Tudor. The interior is Bedford Cord with triple color( brown and grey )exactly as the original with the proper coachlace trim which I had weaved to the correct pattern.
moasew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 04:16 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by moasew View Post
Hi, i'm just seeing this message now. I repainted my mouldings to the exact color of the untouched inside of the mouldings which appaears to have been Moulding Grey from the paint guide.My car is now a freshly restored early Canadian Tudor. The interior is Bedford Cord with triple color( brown and grey )exactly as the original with the proper coachlace trim which I had weaved to the correct pattern.
While this is definitely an older post, I would be curious who you used to do the weaving for the coachlace.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:19 AM   #6
moasew

It was done through SMS Auto Fabrics in Oregon but I believed they used a shop in the East coast. Contact Doug. It took alot of prodding but eventually did it !
moasew is offline   Reply With Quote