Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2022, 12:57 PM   #21
31Cabriolet68-C

Default Re: Insurance............thumbs down JCTaylor

Hagerty. Hands down...
Never asked me for a picture.
Their roadside assistance program is great, and can include all the rest of the family cars.
(FWIW, Hagerty just added my 23 yr old son to our coverage for less than the cost of a tank of gas.)
Nice magazine (think Road and Track for vintage car collectors) comes with the plan.
Small family-owned (formerly) Michigan insurace business. Not a giant faceless dot com
Just sayin.....
31Cabriolet68-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:06 PM   #22
frank55a

A few weeks ago I heard JCT was sold and one of the conditions was the new owner could still use the names. I don't know if this is true, but if so that might explain things.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:26 PM   #23
Anteek29

My collection is insured with Hagerty.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 04:46 PM   #24
redmodelt

Also the minimum value of the car being insured by Hagerty, Taylor and maybe Grundy could come into play and were how the cars were going to be stored. I think ballpark, the first 2 were minimum of $5000 value. Not even my refurbished not show class driver Model T was worth that so I am sticking with Farmers even if it is a bit more limiting and where and how I can drive them.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:28 PM   #25
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank55a View Post
A few weeks ago I heard JCT was sold and one of the conditions was the new owner could still use the names. I don't know if this is true, but if so that might explain things.

Hmmm…. I don’t see any recent sale on their website.

https://jctaylor.com/about-us/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:52 PM   #26
Flathead

Wasn't Hagerty recently sold? Wondering if they will change in any significant way.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:11 PM   #27
31a

I had a similar experience with Taylor and I had 7 cars with them and acted like they did not want my business so now they do NOT Gundy has worked good for me.
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 09:24 PM   #28
hotrodalley

Hagerty !!
hotrodalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:14 PM   #29
Pat's Ride

My '64 Ford F100 was original patina paint that I did a Crown Vic suspension and drive train swap to the F100 frame. Haggerty insured it for $10,000 which was my choice for under $200 per year.

I went to a local agent instead of online or calling the 800 number.

Pat
Pat's Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:16 PM   #30
cokefirst

I had J C Taylor for years, starting in 1969. I then switched to Grundy because they were offering 1 million dollars liability. They also were offering spare parts insurance. I noticed a few years after I went with them that the 1 million dollar liability coverage was reduced to 3 hundred thousand and the spare parts coverage was dropped. I stay with Grundy, I have had a couple of claims since I started insuring classic cars in 1969. Hagerty may be better, and there are even other options. The point is, shop the available options and go with the best deal.
cokefirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:27 AM   #31
Swingle

I have had Hagerty for a few years, along with their roadside assistance. Had a few issues, have always called them and straightened it out. I did have to submit pics of my cars to them.
Biggest issue i had was when i had damage to car, and they were sending local adjuster out to look at car. I did not get home until 5 pm, and adjuster wanted me to leave car outside, so he could look at it. Told him no way, this is listed on insurance as being garaged, and i am not leaving it out so you can make Happy Hour.

His next suggestion was even better, just leave your garage (40x60 pole barn) open, and i will stop out and look at it. Sure, leave my shed unlocked, with all my tools and other stuff in it.

Called Hagerty, told them what was going on, and that i was not leaving my car out or the shed unlocked for adjuster.

They explained that the adjuster was from local outside company, not from Hagerty, and they would be removed from their list. Was also told to get damage repaired, send Hagerty the bill, they would cover it.
Swingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:46 PM   #32
marty in Ohio

I've had J.C. Taylor for 29 years and have never had a problem with them. Originally, they represented the Maryland Casualty Company. In 2008 the company was Formost Insurance Company, which it still is today. I notice in all of these years the president has always been Robert Wallace. Pretty good longevity in my book
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:32 PM   #33
ronn

glad for you Marty- but doesnt work for me.......lol I had them for 40 yrs wo a claim....

You guys have sold me on Hagerty and Hagerty it is. I wont use their towing, as I just renewed my AAA premium. 199. and a 200 mile tow and 5 100 mile tows. That cant be beat in my book. They will even tow a motorcycle if I get stuck out somewhere in tim buck too! and an RV, though I dont own one yet........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:48 PM   #34
History

Insurance, depending on who and what can be a total rip off. Medical should be boycotted, you’re better off saying you don’t have insurance on lots of things as your copay might be higher than they’d charge you if you weren’t insured at all. You “SHALL” pay for you and many others whether you want to or not!! I have hagerty and they seem pretty good for an insurance company. Now if I was in the insurance business I would have a different story but I’m not.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:07 PM   #35
Swingle

With Hagerty Roadside assitance, I took the RV Package, so my AA truck is covered. Unlimited 150-mile tows. Could call them everyday for a tow, they will tow it. My truck is full-sized 2 1/2 ton, frame not chopped. Just made their max length specs.

Last edited by Swingle; 09-16-2022 at 09:32 PM. Reason: updated truck information
Swingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:32 AM   #36
ronn

Nice deal Swingle..........
Old 09-15-2022, 05:25 AM   #37
CountrySquire55

I have Hagerty insurance on my 1931 Model A Slant Town Sedan and 1956 Fairlane Town Sedan. The one time I needed Roadside Assistance was when my Model A broke the left rear axle shaft and I needed a flatbed to get the car home. Called Hagerty and they immediately arranged for the flatbed and checked in with me on the telephone every 10 minutes or so (I was out in the boonies) until the truck arrived. No paperwork at all, simply a telephone request for help and they took care of everything else. I am very pleased with my Hagerty coverage and their commitment to customer support. Highly recommend them.
CountrySquire55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:03 PM   #38
Jim Brierley

I've had JCT for years, with no problems, until recently! I had called JCT to cancel my pickup insurance because I had passed my A pickup on to my son. I was told it had to be in writing and that an e-mail would do, so I sent an e-mail to JCT. I called again after not receiving a new renewal form for my speedster (only), and was assured I would get one in the mail, that hasn't happened either. After almost 2 weeks had passed, I re-sent the e-mail. 2 days later I did receive a reply, saying they had no record of cancellation. I replied today, and have my fingers crossed.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:22 PM   #39
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
Wasn't Hagerty recently sold? Wondering if they will change in any significant way.
They weren't sold, they went public (last year). The Hagerty family retains majority ownership. They got $700m+ by issuing stock to big investors and allowing stock to be sold on exchanges.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:19 PM   #40
ronn

700 million? we've been swindled!

lol