Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
FatDave

Exclamation Driveline vibration

Hey all,

I'm looking for some trouble-shooting tips.

I'm finding that sometimes (not all the time) when I'm in high-gear, the front end of my truck ('52 F-1 w/ 50 Mercury car flathead v8) will shake from left to right... at least that's how it feels.

I don't think speed has anything to do with it... and although I recently set the pinion angle, I'm confident that it's in the right place.

... Now, I know I've probably got some bushings that may need replacing, and it has no shocks... and these are all things I'm in the process of dealing with which probably add to the intensity of the shaking... but it still shakes.

I've been under there, tightening anything & everything I can see may be the issue and haven't solved my problem yet.

Does this sound like a motor problem? ... Tranmission? ... Rear Dif? ... U-joints? ... Front suspension? ... Loose bolts? ... Bushings?

I'm just hoping someone can narrow my search down a little bit... because other that this vibration things are good... but I'm a little paranoid to take it out too far from home.

thx
Dave
FatDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Bassman/NZ

Default Re: Driveline vibration

Sounds like a combination of things to me, but I think installing some shocks is the first step.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Vic Piano

You're picking up bad vibrations... Could be any number of things, starting with age. I would guess that most, if not all, the suspension components are at least fifty years old. How about greasing the front end and see if that eliminates some or all of the vibrations... Check the king pins, etc. I had some bad vibrations in our '51 F-1 before I completely rebuilt it, the king pins has so much play that I assumed they were the major source of the vibrations. I'd recommend rebuilding the front end for starters.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
HOTRODPRIMER

I think Vic nailed it,,look at the king pins first. HRP
Old 05-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
Ford46

Sounds like front end issues to me. I would check all the front end components for wear. Have someone help you by moving the steering wheel while you check each component visually. To check some you'll need to jack it up, others not. Installing shocks is another must do, and you can also check the wheel balance. Just my thoughts. LouB.
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
Frank The Plumber

Well, my 05 van has a set of tires with 40,000 on them, they have about 10 to 15 patches in them, they have weird flat spots caused by the patches and weight and miles, it may be that your set of tires are funky, at different speeds a set of junk tires do all kinds of weird stuff, or maybe you have a flat spot on one of them, I jack the old girl up to winter so the tires dont collect flat spots. Jack one up and spin it and see how it runs around, hold something close to it thats stable while its spinning.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
George/Maine

I have been having problem my 52 f1.This is what I have found so far.The drag link If you have it to "tight"
It will dart to left and right.Back it off 1 1/2 to 2 turns or till you can get a cotter pin in.I put new tires and had balanced,and toed in some.It was dragging right tire.This past weekend found out at inspection my right kingpin is no good.You should have shocks and there is a third one that may help.In 100 miles did a job on my new tires, wheel is angled bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (74.2 KB, 2 views)
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
Mike51Merc

Check/replace universal joints. Replace Transmission tailshaft yoke bushing.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
Karl Wolf

Put rear axle on jack stands, run in gear... will elliminate some possiblities... Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #10
FatDave

Yeah I've mainly been driving it to locate any little problems like this... (and because its fun).

You've all confirmed some hunches I've been having, and I appreciate it. I didn't think to grease it up, but I'm planning on doing all the bushings in the spring perches and steering components. U-joints are on the list of priorities as well.

I'm starting at the front and working my way back.

Thanks guys...
Old 05-28-2010, 04:15 PM   #11
oldford2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
You're picking up bad vibrations... Could be any number of things, starting with age. I would guess that most, if not all, the suspension components are at least fifty years old. How about greasing the front end and see if that eliminates some or all of the vibrations... Check the king pins, etc. I had some bad vibrations in our '51 F-1 before I completely rebuilt it, the king pins has so much play that I assumed they were the major source of the vibrations. I'd recommend rebuilding the front end for starters.

Hey Vic,
You sound like my doctor. When I describe an ailment he always starts with " don't forget you are 70 years old and your parts may be wearing out" John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #12
Vic Piano

John, that’s why I don't go to the Doctor..., they never have anything good to tell you.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #13
0rg0

You know Dave, we never did go through the front end of that truck. I think we should get under there and give it a good check up.
0rg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
0rg0

I wonder if the bias plys might have a little to do with it.
0rg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:54 PM   #15
FatDave

A rebuild is in order for sure, and thank you all for the advice...

But to those with tail-draggers out there... is the rake of the truck possibly a factor.
It's got an estimated 5-inch rake. The reason I ask is because I had no problem in the fall when the truck was at stock height, since then it's been lowered about 8 inches in the back and 3 in the front.

I've heard conflicting views...

Shocks have improved the ride, but haven't solved the vibration problem.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:33 AM   #16
PeteVS

Had a '51 Chebby years ago. It developed a "shimmy" in the front end and the old guy next door told me to put more air in the front tires. That took care of it!
Old 06-15-2010, 05:42 AM   #17
GreenMonster48

Once you take care of the safety issues, check out the steering stabilizer on this page.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fa/full.aspx?Page=78
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:35 AM   #18
G.M.

Grease the "U" joint with at least 1 tube of low temperature grease. Also if not driven for a long time the tires have flat spots that take a fair amount of driving on hot roads to reduce or get rid of. G.M.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #19
hbleadsled

Dave, I agree with Vic front suspension ,king pins are bad, rebuild your front end, you could lose control and hurt your self and that truck. because of bump steer and yes bias ply tires can make it worse. Harold, Ca.
hbleadsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #20
FatDave

No doubt... I got a wife & a 2-year-old to come home to, so it's not going more than a block or two away from home at this point... and that's only to test drive after each fix.

Tires are brand new... only had 'em on for a month or so, so other than the inherent fun that goes along with using bias-ply tires, I think I'm good there.

I've got new leaf-spring bushings... kingpins are on the way and I'll be getting my hands dirty in no time.