Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2022, 11:19 PM   #1441
tomcarman

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
First week in August come to Lynden, just north of Bellingham. I will take you on a loop around the 80 acres on a Rumeley Oil Pull and all kinds of rare stuff in the tractor world. I can't say just what you are seeing in those pics, but any barner shows up at the Puget Sound Antique Tractor and Machinery meet at Lynden in August, just look me up under the big cotton 48 star old glory by the Atlas engine shed. I will be your host!
Thanks Gary, I'll see if we can make it. I take lousy pics. Techno idiot. I'm envious of Chris here and others that understand this stuff. It says McCormick-Deering on the radiator shell. Funny it's clear as a bell in the file but blurry after it's attached.
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220625_191432 (1).jpg (31.2 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by tomcarman; 06-25-2022 at 11:25 PM.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:10 AM   #1442
sugarmaker

Sounds like GB has a great plan for his show! Wouldbe agrand time!
Tom,
Looks like a Mcormick Deering and a John Deere for sure. Yard art I assume. Your pictures are good! I am sure lots of kids and adults have gotten their photos with those tractors too. Farm life as a kid was good kept me out of some trouble!

We are approaching the tractor season for shows and pulls. Will be busy till October moving tractors around the area, trying to pull just a little farther than the other folks! Price of diesel, well it hasent gone down any, so we suck it up and get it done.

The engine for the 32 truck may get some additional attention today as there is rain in the forcast.

Had a good talk with Robert R from Wyoming last night. He has warned me of all kinds of details on these big truck as they get old and worn. Like alignment and potential shimming of the bell housing to the flywheel. Flatness of the intake and exhaust manifolds to the block. Bushings that may be worn in the front of the transmission. The need for new pressure plate and clutch disc to rreduce chatter. Worn bushings in the pivot points of the clutch and brake arms. A weath of information that man!

Yesterday was off truck items also like painting the back deck gray was green. and helping shock barley at of local tractor club. 2 acres were cut with a binder powered by a Farmall M. and hand stacked in the field for drying.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:24 PM   #1443
B-O-B

I did all that as a kid on our farm in Hartford,O. I also worked around the Rumley OilPull thrashing wheat & oats. I guess that is where I learned to load my plate with food when it came my way as it only came by once. Learned that one real quick.
The tire & wheel pictured was on our John Deere model B. I sure was glad when dad drug that home as working a team of horses was not my forte. Gee haw whoa what the hell you guys stopping for? The Deere had chain link type rubber tires ,just wish it had the lug type as traction in snow & mud wasn't great. I called them golf course tires. Started that puppy by
hand spinning the flywheel & if you forgot to retard the spark ,look out & suck it up.
It was a great day when dad traded the Deere off for an A C model B with hydraulics, boy O boy was I happy. Then he{dad} got a wild hair ,you know where, to trade the A C off for a new 1951 Studebaker. I told him if he did that I was leaving home. I thought them bullet nosed cars were butt ugly. Fortunately he didn't so I didn't have to leave home till Uncle Sam called.
The A C dealer was also a Studebaker dealer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1225191756 (2).jpg (32.9 KB, 228 views)
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:08 PM   #1444
sugarmaker

B o B,
Nice picture of you and your calves. I know we are just a tad off track of Ford's. But thank you for injecting this. I am young enough to have just missed the horses on the farm. But spent hours on our Allis-Chalmers model B tractor. Cultivating cabbage, or hauling wood! Great tractors!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 06-26-2022, 03:16 PM   #1445
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
B o B, Nice picture of you and your calves.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:47 PM   #1446
B-O-B

Sure was fun learning those two to wean. Probably why my voice is a tad higher! heh he
I would hold the bucket between my legs & get the calf to suck on my finger as I dipped it in the mix in the bucket. When not paying attention, my finger would get out of the mix & the calf would let me know about it by lifting it's head abruptly. OOOOH that hurt ,it would lift me off the ground & damn near out of my boots. Just buckle your knees..
Dad ,me ,my dog & our car nose in background. Getting firewood . Off topic car but some like old photos. Me on the hot hood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1225191545_Burst01 (2).jpg (34.5 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg old car.jpg (30.0 KB, 227 views)
Old 06-26-2022, 05:14 PM   #1447
flatford8

Great pictures Bob!!........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:46 PM   #1448
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Great pictures Bob!!........Mark

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:34 PM   #1449
tomcarman

Great pics! I love this kind of history. What is the car you're on?
Tom
Old 06-26-2022, 08:59 PM   #1450
B-O-B

I'm not exactly sure but I think it was the Willys Knight we had around that time.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:07 PM   #1451
tomcarman

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...xdYJsPrmXYhqCM

1931? I found this link to the HAMB and it looks very similar. Not to distract from Chris's excellent thread, I find these historical pictures fascinating.

Last edited by tomcarman; 06-26-2022 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Info
Old 06-27-2022, 07:51 AM   #1452
sugarmaker

Folks,
I like it all!
I just got done going through a awesome build thread on the HAMB of a fantastic 1955 black custom wagon build. It was worth the time. But sure makes me want to throw rocks at anything I have every done!

Back to reality. Yesterday as I was helping John with his 42 gas tank tweek, he mentioned a local car show about 10 miles away. I did a quick oil change on the 32 added gas and headed out just ahead of John and his brother in the 48 Ford.

This was a Model A parked near me. Visited with the owner of this sweet chopped driver:

They liked the ragged old truck enough that I brought home a trophy.

Was nice to get the truck out and have folks see it. Most said they liked it, and I should leave it as it is. I agree. The next owner can restore it!

I did get the valves adjusted to .012 on the engine #1 (the Monkey Ward engine). Is there any other recommendations or suggestion on that valve lash setting for a Ford B engine? One local guy had me reset the valves to .016 on the #2 (Tennesee engine)

Also I have a lead on another B engine from a guy at the car show. May have to go look and see what it is like. Not that I really need another, but you never know!

Regards
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 06-29-2022 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:29 AM   #1453
sugarmaker

Bob,
If you still have the wood hauling machine? Load it up and head to NW PA for our antique tractor show feqaturing any lawn and garden equipment July 15, 16, 17th.
Your dad setting in there seems that it would have been a little hard to steer. Maybe just a photo op with you and your pup? I like those pictures. I have a picture of My mom on the hood of a Model T at about 4 years old. That would have been about 1926.
Good stuff! i always wounder about "Who took the picture"!

As my blog/ thread continues: Sevral volenteeres worked on mowing 15 acres of lawn at our tractor show grounds yesterday. I somehow got to be official head grounds keeper!
Pay is great, the hours not so much!

On the truck. Shows are coming faster than I am getting work done on the new engine assembly. Would like to get the pistons/ rods installed this week. May not be ready till fall at my current pace?? Unless I make a run at it like Mart does? That guy get some things done!
This week with be the Williamsfield Ohio Show, Friday Sat. Sunday.

Hope things are good in Ford land!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 06-29-2022, 02:38 PM   #1454
B-O-B

Sugarmaker my dad was ways building stuff as we didn't have a lot of money in those depression years. notice how the trailer is attached. we were on a hunt for firewood as that is all we had for heat.
No photo op there that was for real. I'm thinkin that was in Patagonia,Pa.mid 1930's. I had a better tractor than that one I did some rebuilding on . I'll see if I can find some pics.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:27 PM   #1455
RKS.PA

Quote:
Sounds like GB has a great plan for his show! Wouldbe agrand time!
Tom,
Looks like a Mcormick Deering and a John Deere for sure. Yard art I assume. Your pictures are good! I am sure lots of kids and adults have gotten their photos with those tractors too. Farm life as a kid was good kept me out of some trouble!

We are approaching the tractor season for shows and pulls. Will be busy till October moving tractors around the area, trying to pull just a little farther than the other folks! Price of diesel, well it hasent gone down any, so we suck it up and get it done.

The engine for the 32 truck may get some additional attention today as there is rain in the forcast.

Had a good talk with Robert R from Wyoming last night. He has warned me of all kinds of details on these big truck as they get old and worn. Like alignment and potential shimming of the bell housing to the flywheel. Flatness of the intake and exhaust manifolds to the block. Bushings that may be worn in the front of the transmission. The need for new pressure plate and clutch disc to rreduce chatter. Worn bushings in the pivot points of the clutch and brake arms. A weath of information that man!

Yesterday was off truck items also like painting the back deck gray was green. and helping shock barley at of local tractor club. 2 acres were cut with a binder powered by a Farmall M. and hand stacked in the field for drying.

Regards,
Chris
Chris, hate working with barley!! Those hulls on a hot sweaty day are torture!! Grew up on a farm on the southern part of N.J. Don't ever want to work with that grain ever again . BTW, since my dad was a big Ford fan, in those days, we had a '36 flat bed and a '48 with an Eaton 2 speed axle. Tractors were John Deere's !!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:20 PM   #1456
cmbrucew

My uncle Moon had a big M farmall and he loved to give rides to his grand kids and nephews. we always got chiggers walking in the tall grass out to the tractor.

Bruce
Old 07-01-2022, 03:38 AM   #1457
flatford8

Congrats on the trophy!!.........you didn’t bribe the judges with syrup and Maple treats did you????.......the Ragged ‘Ol Truck and you deserve the recognition!!!.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:02 AM   #1458
sugarmaker

Mark, Bruce, RSK.PA, BOB, Ford Folks,
Haven't resorted to bribery yet! Lots of very nice cars and trucks to choose from at these shows. May go to a local non judguing event tomorrow with the 32. Will have lots of tractors and a good flea market too.

Lost our golden Maggie to a better place yesterday. Kind of takes the wind out of your sails. We knew she only had a few months and she never complained or had a grumpy day!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-01-2022, 07:16 AM   #1459
STEVE O

Sorry to hear of your loss! They are family member in my book. Steve
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:11 AM   #1460
51504bat

Quote:
Mark, Bruce, RSK.PA, BOB, Ford Folks,
Haven't resorted to bribery yet! Lots of very nice cars and trucks to choose from at these shows. May go to a local non judguing event tomorrow with the 32. Will have lots of tractors and a good flea market too.

Lost our golden Maggie to a better place yesterday. Kind of takes the wind out of your sails. We knew she only had a few months and she never complained or had a grumpy day!

Regards,
Chris

So sorry about Maggie. I lost Chester our chocolate lab just before Christmas last year. He was always there for me. Things do get better with time but their memories will be with us for ever.