Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2018, 04:38 PM   #21
rotorwrench

Default Re: I want lacquer paint, where to buy ?

I haven't used lacquer in a coons age. The last time I used it was for repairing a wing on a Piper Pawnee. It only comes in clear and add aluminum powder for silver pigment. Aircraft Dope is still available but for automotive, it's getting outdated to death. Bill Hirsch (RIP) carried black and clear only. I just wonder if they are going to be around much longer since he passed.

If you can get it, it's all the same as long as it is nitrocellulose. Acrylic is not the same.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 10-31-2018 at 04:45 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:39 PM   #22
Sid

This is direct from PPG dated April 5 2018. Just a matter of time before others discontinue.
PPG’s Acrylic Lacquer has been an industry icon since the 1950’s. Since then, Deltron® DDL Duracryl® has been the go-to product line to repair or restore vehicles painted with lacquer from the factory. We have come a long way since lacquer was the product of choice for the market. Current basecoat technology has provided us with longer lasting products and more user friendly systems have been developed.

Due to diminishing need in the market PPG is discontinuing the DDL Acrylic Lacquer color platform. Existing inventory of DMA toners will be available until stocks are depleted. DTL Acrylic Lacquer Thinners and DZ3 Acrylic Primer Surfacer will continue to be available.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:29 PM   #23
russcc

Hibernia used to buy the Nitro from Hirsch. Hirsch referred me to them because they didn't package it custom quantities or mixes as Hibernia did. Great product, sorry to hear that source dried up.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:39 PM   #24
goshencars

I was told they took the lead out of lacquer paint and it no longer will give you the shine it once did. Single stage or PPG arcyric enamel are your best bet. Just add a hardener to the enamel. It gives you a hard shiny finish. My 20 T has it and after 14 years I have never had to wax it and looks like the day it was sprayed.
goshencars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:38 PM   #25
29AVEE8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshencars View Post
I was told they took the lead out of lacquer paint and it no longer will give you the shine it once did. Single stage or PPG arcyric enamel are your best bet. Just add a hardener to the enamel. It gives you a hard shiny finish. My 20 T has it and after 14 years I have never had to wax it and looks like the day it was sprayed.

You can't get, or legally shoot Acrylic Enamel in CA either.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #26
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29AVEE8 View Post
You can't get, or legally shoot Acrylic Enamel in CA either.

The owner of my local body shop recently told me something that appears to 'conflict'. Something along the line of limited quantity, and not the whole car at once. He said that if I brought him the material, he could shoot it. As long as not the whole car on the same day. I'm not quoting him exactly, and I wish I could remember exactly what the caveats were. I think part of it is the area we are in.
I also learned that not all of calif is under the same rule. I have found two areas where I can still buy paint, such as acrylic enamel. The old-style stuff, no hardener required, no clear coat. I've recently bought, in ca, old style paint for my 34, and also for an old pickup that I have.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #27
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
The owner of my local body shop recently told me something that appears to 'conflict'. Something along the line of limited quantity, and not the whole car at once. He said that if I brought him the material, he could shoot it. As long as not the whole car on the same day. I'm not quoting him exactly, and I wish I could remember exactly what the caveats were. I think part of it is the area we are in.
I also learned that not all of calif is under the same rule. I have found two areas where I can still buy paint, such as acrylic enamel. The old-style stuff, no hardener required, no clear coat. I've recently bought, in ca, old style paint for my 34, and also for an old pickup that I have.
Certain counties in California have different rules. The bay area counties(SF, Marin, Napa, etc) have banned just about everything. About all the shops can use is water base.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:55 PM   #28
flatford39

I just looked at their site and it is still available. At least in acrylic. They do say they won't ship to California. We all know there are ways around thayt
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:52 PM   #29
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford39 View Post
I just looked at their site and it is still available. At least in acrylic. They do say they won't ship to California. We all know there are ways around thayt
Acrylic Lacquer is not difficult to find, can get it at a lot of local auto supplier (in states were it is legal). Lots of suppliers online.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:47 AM   #30
deuce_roadster

The last car I painted with Lacquer was 40 years ago and I don't miss it or the shitty lacquer primer. I don't understand wanting to use an inferior product just to say "it's lacquer".
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #31
rotorwrench

I always got a kick out of the old descriptions of their lacquer paint jobs. Crap such as hand rubbed between coats and all that. The stuff always went on with an orange peel to it and it had to be sanded between coats or it looked like crap. They put on so many coats that it would spider web over time due to not letting the stuff dry long enough. It took forever to do a decent paint job with it. It's not worth the trouble in my books. The last wing repair I did was the last time I used dope of any kind and I sprayed over that with acrylic urethane to finish. On rag wing aircraft, it's still the only thing that works well but most of it now is the fire resistant butyrate dope instead of the nitrate stuff. They use the nitrate to fill and then the butyrate to protect the outer cover. It's a lot of work to completely re-cover an airplane.

The Acrylic enamel went on better and stayed on better. If you use a hardener then it was converted to an acrylic urethane of sorts. Acrylic urethane and poly urethane enamel were the next evolution and that's all I ever used on the aircraft.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:10 PM   #32
31Abone

Thanks for all reply's..I used to work in a GM body shop in the 60's, I loved that old look and its safe to use and easy...I had a 1925 Studebaker and part of the paint was still very nice and had a look after it was buffed out I have not seen since,it was of course Nito...you modern paint guys can have the new crap..sc
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #33
5851a

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
The last car I painted with Lacquer was 40 years ago and I don't miss it or the shitty lacquer primer. I don't understand wanting to use an inferior product just to say "it's lacquer".
Yep, have a car about that long ago and took forever to finish. Can't hardly look at it anymore, all webs. Never outside, only seen the sun for a few days in all the years.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote