Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2017, 09:14 PM   #1
updraught

Default Tubes for radials

Just received the Coker recommended tubes for the new type radials.
Made in China, they look thick.

Looking thru some photos on the web, came across some from the vintage adventurer:
http://www.vintageadventurer.com.au/...jp-carousel-32
http://www.vintageadventurer.com.au/...8/Image-19.jpg

He seems fairly keen on using lots of talc powder.

It seems to me the new radials with greater flexing would be a prime candidate for lots of talc?

There is also some general advice on tubes here as they are still carried in our more remote areas.
http://www.beadelltours.com.au/tubes.html
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:53 AM   #2
Henry's Lady's Man

Default Re: Tubes for radials

Thanx Updraught for the good info. I'm about to install my Coker Excelsior Stahl Radials and their expensive radial tubes. I didn't give a whole lot of thought to talc. I thought it was just to facilitate installation, but apparently, it is more for the constant movement in a radial.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Thanks for taking your most valuable time for above posting.

Softer ride, no more back-road wandering, better tire tracking, far more rubber contacting the road, not to mention Life Safety benefits listed for upgrading from Model A 19" bias tires to 550-19 "radials" have often been mentioned herein ...... however ....... until one "experiences" this change ...... this change will only "sound" like something great to experience.

In my opinion, the wider 550-19" radials even look far more aesthetically befitting and substantial on a Model A than the former, regular little skinny & skimpy "bicycle tire look".

In my humble opinion, Mr. John LaVoy was correct in stating earlier that no matter what ............ one will "want" to ride in one's Model A far more often "after" changing to radial tires.

Life on Earth is so very short ..... never a bad idea to grab the Gusto while we are still above ground.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 08-02-2017 at 11:40 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
old victoria

did not like the long valve stems on the tubes we got ?
old victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

After hearing about Coker radial tube extra long rubber valve stems, I called Coker where they reported that they can remove their longer rubber stems and factory install shorter metal stems that are factory vulcanized on these new radial tubes.

Coker inflates these heavy duty radial tubes after installing their metal stems, allow inflated tubes to remain inflated for 24 hours while testing for leaks prior to shipping same.

Strongly recommend (4) ounces of Snyder's "Dyna Beads" to be provided in each tube.

Drove 60 mph for a distance on back roads and my Model A felt like a 2017 modern car with absolutely no tire/wheel balancing problems whatsoever.

The newly installed custom vulcanized rubber at the base of two of my metal stems would not allow Dyna Beads to flow. Tried drilling with a drill bit .... but drill bit would not cut this rubber ... it was like drilling Jello.

Ordered small brass tubes from a hobby shop to fit inside metal stem, pushed it through the Jello type rubber, and Dyna Beads went right in.

Summit has Free Shipping for Coker tires for the same Coker tire price; however, if custom metal stems are ordered for Coker radial tubes, custom tubes have to be ordered from Coker with added Coker shipping.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:22 PM   #6
CarlG

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old victoria View Post
did not like the long valve stems on the tubes we got ?
I didn't like them either, but at that point, I used them anyway. (Didn't know I could have ordered the metal stems already installed.) So far they haven't given me any problem, but if they do, I will order the tubes with metal stems as Henry described.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Just received the Coker recommended tubes for the new type radials.
Made in China, they look thick.

Looking thru some photos on the web, came across some from the vintage adventurer:
http://www.vintageadventurer.com.au/...jp-carousel-32
http://www.vintageadventurer.com.au/...8/Image-19.jpg

He seems fairly keen on using lots of talc powder.

It seems to me the new radials with greater flexing would be a prime candidate for lots of talc?

There is also some general advice on tubes here as they are still carried in our more remote areas.
http://www.beadelltours.com.au/tubes.html
These radial tubes ARE thick ! Mine have been installed for over 15 years.
I wasn't sold on needing them when Coker sold them to me with their steel belted radial 6:00 -16 tires.

Back then, I don't believe that Coker offered any 'short' stem option. However, something that Coker did come up with was the great little stem saver piece that fits in the rim and around the stem...good product, especially for use with the OLD rims that we use.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #8
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post

Strongly recommend (4) ounces of Snyder's "Dyna Beads" to be provided in each tube.
H. L., You're better off buying the 6oz bag set and have enough left over for two spares for ~$2 more than the 4oz bag set (16oz @ $31.75 vs 24oz @ $33.50).
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Per the Reply No. 8 offer:

With this $1.75 savings, I might have to buy a scale to weigh the (4) ounces of "Dyna Beads"; or .......... use a whiskey jigger to guess at measuring same.

My whiskey jigger always sits on top of my whiskey bottle .... the minute I touch my whiskey jigger, my whiskey bottle usually automatically rotates 180 degrees and fills my empty jigger ........... life can become so complex when working on our Model A's.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #10
CarlG

I just bought an extra 4 oz bag for my spare.

x2 on Henry's comments on measuring out the extra beads.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #11
Y-Blockhead

More like $14.25 savings if you have two spares, but whatever...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:45 PM   #12
Jeff/Illinois

https://www.cokertire.com/500r19-exc...rt-radial.html

Kinda pricey but it is what it is. If you do a LOT of driving in your Model A may be beneficial as John LaVoy has stated, otherwise putting under 300-400 miles a year on your car may not be worth it
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:59 PM   #13
updraught

I just wanted the best tube I could get.
I may get radials in the future.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #14
H. L. Chauvin

On installing the "Dyna Beads" in tubes, just be somewhat prepared prior to installing these ever so tiny beads in tubes.

A) I had an empty box down below when I opened the first (4) ounce outer bag of "Dyna Beads" only to find that the inner bag had a hole in it and all of the beads luckily fell in this empty box in lieu of on the garage floor; hence, they were all easy to recover.

B) Be prepared to have a small funnel that can direct beads directly into the valve core of the tubes.

C) I used about a 5" length of rubber hose with the upper end to receive and "secure" the small tip of the plastic funnel with a tight fit; and the other end of this tube to securely fit over the valve core.

D) If one has an obstruction in the valve core, the beads quit flowing abruptly and fill up the funnel. This rubber hose set up allows one to abort this bead mission and dump all of the beads in the empty box prior to starting over.

I did not drop any beads on the floor or ground.

If you drop your "Dyna Beads" beads on the ground ..... and if you have chickens that stumble and wobble all over your yard, I have no idea if "Dyna Beads" can balance your wobbling chickens ..... or even if these beads can allow chickens to lay balanced eggs .....might be worth a call to Snyder's or wherever?

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 08-02-2017 at 10:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

I've never touched Dyna Beads, but would pushing a pipe cleaner up and down through the funnel and valve stem carry the beads through the rubber blockage?

Another thought on installing the beads, how about a long thin drill bit running in reverse to auger in the beads past the runner flap blockage?

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 08-03-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:52 AM   #16
captndan

Be mindful of the talc you use. J&J and your car will smell like you changed a diaper. Gold Bond and smell like you fixed jock itch.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #17
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
Be mindful of the talc you use. J&J and your car will smell like you changed a diaper. Gold Bond and smell like you fixed jock itch.
I'm wondering if corn starch would be a good choice?
Old 08-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #18
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Tom,

Per reply no. 15, "if" one has Coker "vulcanized" metal stems in tubes, (which I did), I first tried several end shaped steel wires; next, tried both a standard and reverse drill bit; however, this compressed Jello type vulcanized rubber glob at the end of the stem would not allow the drill bit to cut. Occurred only on one (1) tube out of (5) tubes

FWIW: I finally bought on line from a Hobby Shop:

K&S Metals #9835, 3.5 mm x .225 mm thin wall brass tubes, (3 per pack), www.ksmetals.com , and pushed this tube through the Jello glob, and beads went right in.

Jello inside the metal stem could be pushed out or drilled out; however, this is a glob of Jello below the metal stem. The glob of Jello just laughed at my drill bits.

Hope this helps anyone in the future to allow tiny "Dyna Beads" to flow through Coker's metal stem vulcanizing Jello "if" a metal stem is plugged with this Jello glob.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 08-03-2017 at 09:43 AM. Reason: typo