Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2017, 02:15 PM   #1
Houdini

Default Help on how to adjust throttle linkage

From my other recent thread, I was able to install my one piece crank pulley. I jacked up the front of the engine to gain access. With that said, I have a new problem that I think was caused from this activity.

I now find that my throttle linkage is such that the throttle won't rest of the idle screw on the carburetor. The problem appears that the linkage on the throttle control lever on the steering column is such that its holding the throttle open too much. The steering colum linkage for the spark advance still is fine, so something must have gotten pushed or bent when I raised the engine.

If I take off the linkage from the steering column to where it joins the accelerator pedal linkage by the firewall, then the throttle will go to its set idle screw position. I tried to rotate the steering column tube to pull the throttle linkage away and although that will then allow it to fully go to idle, it also pulls the spark advance, so its too far away from retarded. So it seems that moving the steering column tube fixes one and creates a problem with the other.

I assume there must be some adjustment somewhere that allows for proper linkage adjustment. I can't seem to see where that is. The springs that are part of the linkage around the steering column have pin through them, so they don't appear to be able to be rotated.

Is there some adjustment of the linkage length or position, other than rotating the steering column tube, so I can get both the throttle linkage and spark advance correct. Again spark advance is fine in its original position, its the idle/throttle linkage that is not allowing it to go back to its set idle position.
Houdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Help on how to adjust throttle linkage

When you raised the front of the engine the throttle assembly hit the firewall
and bent. You just need to bend it back away from the engine.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
René W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
When you raised the front of the engine the throttle assembly hit the firewall
and bent. You just need to bend it back away from the engine.

Bob
Second that,had the same problem
Old 05-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
Big hammer

Put a piece of tubing over the ball and arm thats bent, and push it back towards the firewall a little at a time until the carburetor will idle!
Big hammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:06 PM   #5
Houdini

Which arm should I bend back. Is it the arm on the side of the engine that is on the carburetor side. I looked at that, and the metal looks like it might be cast, so I was afraid to bend it.
The other side of the engine, is where the link for the throttle control by the steering column joins the main throttle control for the accelerator. Is the what might be bent and need pushing back.

All your advice is helpful before I go messing it up further.

From the responses, it doesn't sound like there is a way to adjust linkages directly.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #6
Jim/GA

Remove the floorboards and look at how the throttle assembly bolts to the back of the engine.

Previous replies told you the problem. You have bent this throttle assembly toward the block, when looking at it from inside the car with the floorboards out, by jacking up the front of the engine.

Gently bend it back, working under the hood, until the throttle closes again.

HTH.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

The two main uprights that hold the cross rod are supposed to be bent forward to allow clearance for the firewall. The long thin forged arm on the right end of the cross shaft is what can be bent easily, and with no heat. I had to straighten mine so the carb would idle down.

Do a search for linkage pictures and hopefully you will find the 4 pictures I posted a couple years ago.

Here are the 4 pictures I mentioned. See my reply #4.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...inkage+picture

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 05-01-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:14 PM   #8
Brian in Wheeling

There could be one, or more things bent. Only way to tell is to look at the whole and then the individual parts. It would be helpful to know what they should look like unbent though...that would help you find the bent bit(s). Probably not bent much, but it doesn't take much either.
Brian
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:37 PM   #9
Brentwood Bob

The assembly is forged steel so it can be bent, and rebent to correct the new bend you put in it.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #10
KGBnut

While I agree with everything that everyone is saying about the Throttle Assembly on the back of the block (I had the same problem), there is one other thing that I would recommend checking. One some (perhaps all) steering columns the outer tube can get rotated, and with it the position of both the throttle and spark controls. Mine was giving me troubles until I rotated it back into position. I think it is just one bolt to loosen the clamp and then turn it.

Ken
Old 05-02-2017, 09:29 AM   #11
Houdini

Thanks to all of you for the replies. The pictures sure help too. I was afraid to bend the arm thinking it was cast and would break, but will give that a try. All I need to do from what I've seen is bend the longer arm on the right side back a little and that should do the trick.
With regard to rotating the linkage on the steering tube, (I have a 31), I did try that and when the throttle was ok, then the spark advance will held in the advanced position and would not retard. I'll also look to see if there is anything obvious that was bent too.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #12
denniskliesen

As far as your steering column I would adjust it for correct spark advance movement as that is critical to your timing. Looking at your firewall should tell you where your throttle linkage made contact to bend it.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #13
1crosscut

Since you rotated the steering column you will need to be sure that the advance arm moves fully side to side in the distributor housing. Then I would recommend resetting the timing.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #14
Houdini

I moved the steering column back when I saw that it effected the timing advance. And I was also able to bend the throttle linkage back and now it rests comfortably on the set idle position with some spring tension. It didn't take much bend to fix it. Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #15
Big hammer

Good happy motoring :-)
Big hammer is online now   Reply With Quote