Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #21
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Optima 6V battery quality?

Here is the mounting I made, as mentioned in post #17, when putting an Optima 6V Red Top battery in my '35 fordor. It's nothing beautiful, just very functional for what I wanted. I really didn't care to go through the trouble and expense of hiding it in a script case because it's pretty much out of sight anyway under the floor. I had salvaged a couple strips of stainless U channel from a demolition site that just happened allow the Optima to fit perfectly, and all the other pieces were also laying around my shop. I'll also try to find the links to some other threads that show some different mounting ideas.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...Optima+Battery
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg attachment-205.jpeg (65.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpeg attachment-144.jpeg (59.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpeg attachment-164.jpeg (60.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpeg attachment-65.jpeg (50.9 KB, 31 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-13-2017 at 08:07 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #22
OptimaJim

Hello, I noticed your conversation involving our products and wanted to offer some clarification on some of the questions and concerns that have been raised. First and foremost, the quality of our products has always been excellent and the batteries we are producing today are the best we have ever made. Many of the "bad" batteries returned to us under warranty now are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly-recharged.

If any battery is going to fail because of a manufacturing issue, it will likely do so well within the first month of use, if not the first few days. Beyond that, battery performance and lifespan is largely tied to how a battery is used and maintained. Newer vehicles with OnStar and other systems that stay active when the engine is off are more demanding on batteries than ever before. That also makes a quality battery maintenance device an excellent investment for any vehicle that doesn't see regular use.

The next retail associate who sits in on a meeting with us regarding a possible retail partnership will be the first. Many years ago, we discontinued a relationship with another retailer, who wanted to private-label our products. We never re-brand or re-spec our products for any of our retail partners, so we were willing to lose that business on that point alone. Another manufacturer who was willing to make changes to their products received that business. The Internet erupted with false theories that equated the replacement battery as being higher quality and our products as being lower, while ignoring whether private-labeling was even an issue.

Fast forward a few years later, the retailer changed their mind, the replacement battery is no longer offered at that retailer, but our branded products are once again. Now what? Did the other manufacturer's quality decline, did our quality improve or was there some other unrelated factor? I wouldn't get too hung up on theories, speculation or even statistical sample sizes that range from "me and my buddies" to "everyone I know." The manufacturers who have been in the market for years are all knowledgeable about what it takes to make a quality product. I would be surprised if any established manufacturer tried to pull a fast one in terms of quality with any of their retail partners.

The external dimensions of our 6-volt product has changed and the lid is now taller than it was previously. This was the result of adding venting provisions for an OE application. As a result, our 6-volt batteries may no longer fit inside period-correct appearing boxes, but that probably wasn't on anyone's radar when they were dealing with an OE contract, as the incremental OE volume was the primary driver in that decision.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
OptimaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #23
tubman

Thank you, Jim for coming on here and explaining this. From what I have seen, the manufacturers of Optima batteries have always been willing to "step up" and handle things in an appropriate manner. It would be a better world if all vendors of products such as this would do the same.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:34 AM   #24
Graeme / New Zealand

I just use a regular lead/acid battery of the heaviest duty i can find in 6v and use that in conjunction with one of these charger/maintainers. Battery always charged and never fails me. http://www.saveabattery.com/.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:04 AM   #25
cordbob

I have had continual problems with Optima battery their quality seems to have gone down hill now that they are imported I would suggest you look at Odyssey Battery all United States military vehicles used Odyssey batteries made in America
cordbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #26
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordbob View Post
I have had continual problems with Optima battery their quality seems to have gone down hill now that they are imported I would suggest you look at Odyssey Battery all United States military vehicles used Odyssey batteries made in America
Can you give us all the details on the exact problems you have had with Optima batteries??

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #27
Adam/Mill Valley CA

Thank you, John, for all of the mounting tips; the PO of my truck already welded in an extension to the battery area to allow for a taller battery. Nowhere near as elegant as your solution, but functional enough to allow for a taller battery under the floor.And thank you Mr McIlvaine for your input, it's nice to see manufacturers' representatives responding on these kinds of forums. Insofar as Odyssey batteries, I do have one on my '67 Triumph motorcycle, which vibrates "slightly more" than a Ford V-8,and it has served very well; quite a bit more expensive than other batteries though. Not sure they make a 6V auto battery, either.

Adam
1970 911E 2.2 litre dark blue/black
1968 BMW R50/2 US, black (m'cycle)
1967 Triumph TR6R , sea foam/cream (m'cycle)
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 red (m'cycle)
1974 Honda CB750 red (m'cycle)
2000 Kawasaki W650 blue/silver (m'cycle)
Adam/Mill Valley CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:56 AM   #28
OptimaJim

I would also be interested in hearing more about cordbob's issues. His claim that our military single-sources batteries from one manufacturer is completely false. I would encourage anyone considering a battery purchase to review the warranty terms & conditions of any battery they are considering. Some brands will void their warranty if the battery is not charged and maintained within a very specific voltage range or the battery's voltage is found to be below a minimum level. Optima doesn't have such exclusions in their warranty, but it's better to know those types of things before making a purchase.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
OptimaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #29
Brendan

my Model A Roadster had a Optma in it. it ws in there when i bought the car. it was 10 years old. when i weBatterys to replace it i went to Interstate Battery. there was a guy there that said that one lasted a long time. but he also said that he used to buy optma for his tractors and equipment. but not any more. they don't last as long as the did in the past. i bought a rebuilt 12 volt for 45 bucks, if i get 3 years out of it i will be happy. i have allways bought the second from the bottom in battery's

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #30
supereal

My Optimas have lasted an average of 6-8 years.If you get less, it is likely due to either a high charging rate in your car, or a common charger used. I use the Battery Tender with mine and leave it on during storage. They are available for about thirty bucks. Mine came from Costco. You can check the Optima web site for more info.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote