Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2016, 08:03 PM   #1
russcc

Default '40 door latch spring replacement

Recently replaced the upper latch spring and lower handle tension spring in the ’40 door latch. Here is quick overview of the process for those who are interested in doing their own work. I did this with the help of you Fordbarners, and Ray Helgers stock of NORS springs and parts.
To get at the springs, straighten the 2 tabs, arrows pointing to #2 & 3 in photo P#1. Carefully heating them a dull red with the torch is needed to straighten them. You can the then pry off the lower cover, P#2. Unbend the U clip, arrow #1 in P#1. Remove the U clip and lower spring. Next, carefully grind off the back end ends of the pins arrow #4 & 5 on the lefty Leave a 1/16 to a 1/32” of material, and drive the pins out marked in red on the top P#3. and remove them & the latch mechanism.
Clean all the parts and coat moving parts with Lubriplate. Replace the upper latch spring, P#4. Weld a small amount of material on the ends of the pins you ground down. Shape the weld so they go through their holes. Reassemble the latch mechanism, insert the pins and hammer over the welded end of the pins into a mushroom.
Lower spring next, P#5. Reassemble the door handle opening cover, and bend over the tabs, P#1. Insert a U clip P#6. in the center of the spring, grasp it with a pair of needle nose vise grips. Be patient, this part is a pain in the butt. Grasp the latch assembly in a vise. Hook the bent end of the spring around the pin on door handle tension plate, grasp the U clip in the center of the spring, twist the spring and insert it the U clip in the square hole, and bend over the ends of the clip. P#7.. Complete latch, P#8.
Footnote; I originally bought replacement repop springs from a well know EV8 fastener supplier. They didn’t fit. I went to Ray Helgers, and got all NORS replacement parts. He had boxes upon boxes of old spring and parts assortments to fit darn near anything. All Ford pieces fit like a glove. Ii was easy because of his list of all the cars they fit, where they fit, and their color code to indentify them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4258.JPG (90.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4255.JPG (100.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4269.JPG (97.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4263.JPG (70.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4259.JPG (87.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4264.JPG (91.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4270.JPG (114.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4272.JPG (102.8 KB, 27 views)
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:07 AM   #2
mike42

Default Re: '40 door latch spring replacement

Whoa....remind me not to tackle this project ! Thx for the info, as I have one door handle that I've thought needed fixing. I may wait awhile.

Thx for the info.

Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
19Fordy

russcc: Nice job. Well done. Thanks for posting the photos and the explanation.
No more sagging door handles for you.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #4
russcc

If a dragging door handle is the only issue, that is easy because you just need to pry up 2 tabs up to get at the lower spring. Correction, the lower door handle tensioner spring was the only one from the EV8 supplier that didn't not fit. That door now closes easily like a Mosler safe with a resounding click. I may wear it out just listening to something work as originally built.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote