The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fuel shut off valve (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296674)

Lefthander1930 04-01-2021 10:40 AM

Fuel shut off valve

Fuel shut off valve, My Victoria has the fuel shut off valve in the engine compartment. It’s a pain in the butt to get in the engine compartment every time you wanna go somewhere while the fuel valve is shut off. Is there a cure or fix to get the fuel shut off valve working from the inside of the cab? Looking for some kind of device or a cure for this problem. Thank you

Big hammer 04-01-2021 12:23 PM

Re: Fuel shut off valve

Leave it in place and add an electric valve down stream?

SDJason 04-01-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big hammer (Post 2002709)
Leave it in place and add an electric valve down stream?

I had one of those (electric fuel shutoff) that was added by a previous owner and just over a year ago got stuck by the side of the road when the thing failed. No way I'd put one of those in again. My advice to OP - just get used to opening up the hood to turn the valve.

Mike Peters 04-01-2021 12:59 PM

Lefthander makes a good point. One wonders if Ford went backwards by moving the gas shut off valve to the engine compartment. I have an indented firewall 31 with a B carburetor that does not leak past the float valve. I just leave the shut off valve in the on position. Our old gas farm tractors were gravity feed, and we never shut off the gas because the carburetor float valves did not leak.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 04-01-2021 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Peters (Post 2002721)
Lefthander makes a good point. One wonders if Ford went backwards by moving the gas shut off valve to the engine compartment. I have an indented firewall 31 with a B carburetor that does not leak past the float valve. I just leave the shut off valve in the on position. Our old gas farm tractors were gravity feed, and we never shut off the gas because the carburetor float valves did not leak.

Ford did not have an opinion in this. The government mandated that no fuel lines could be routed thru the passenger cabin areas. Therefore an integral part of the tank was added that protruded out of the passenger compartment to circumvent this.

As you mentioned, just leave the valve open except when the vehicle is in storage.

alexiskai 04-01-2021 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 2002773)
The government mandated that no fuel lines could be routed thru the passenger cabin areas.

The legend I heard is that it was just one state. I want to say PA? I don't have hard evidence on that though.

John Dayhuff 04-01-2021 04:09 PM

Is it possible to just buy the correct parts and install it inside the cab? I had the electronic one too for about two years and hated it since I didn't like the looks of it, but I didn't install it and the guy that did didn't do it right like I wanted so I changed it back to the original.

700rpm 04-01-2021 04:14 PM

It’s a pain in the butt to get in the engine compartment every time you wanna go somewhere
You expected ease and comfort in a 90-yr-old Ford? :p

McMimmcs 04-01-2021 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 700rpm (Post 2002782)
It’s a pain in the butt to get in the engine compartment every time you wanna go somewhere
You expected ease and comfort in a 90-yr-old Ford? :p

Great sense of humour !

CarlG 04-01-2021 05:53 PM

I've had an electric shut off valve in place for the last 10 years with no problems

BRENT in 10-uh-C 04-01-2021 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dayhuff (Post 2002779)
Is it possible to just buy the correct parts and install it inside the cab? I had the electronic one too for about two years and hated it since I didn't like the looks of it, but I didn't install it and the guy that did didn't do it right like I wanted so I changed it back to the original.

No, not easily because there is a cast spigot that is riveted to the tank that exits on the engine side of the firewall. I have seen where a knife ball valve was adapted and the handle drilled to accept a metal sheathed choke cable. The choke cable only worked marginally well on the one or two I have seen and definitely not worth the effort from my perspective.

Jeff P. / MN 04-02-2021 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 2002800)
I've had an electric shut off valve in place for the last 10 years with no problems

Same for me.....23 years on my Tudor.