Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Jason in TX

Default Can I swap a 3 bolt timing cover for a 2 bolt and go, or is there more to it?

Hello. Trying to change out the diver's helmet on my 1940 Ford engine for a crab style distributor. I have located a 2 bolt front timing cover.

Can I just change the timing cover, and then bolt the crab on and go, or will I run into needing some kind of "button" or something on the end of the cam shaft?

Thanks for your help!
Jason
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: Can I swap a 3 bolt timing cover for a 2 bolt and go, or is there more to it?

Yes you can swap it but you will need a spacer to bring the two bolt out about 5/16 these can purchased from the vendors .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Jason in TX

Default Re: Can I swap a 3 bolt timing cover for a 2 bolt and go, or is there more to it?

Hmmm... Well, I also have a 3 bolt to 2 bolt conversion plate located. Should I just go that route?

I saw on Dick Spadero's website that he provides both spacers. I actually already have his 3 to 2 bolt spacer ordered through Bubba's along with one of Bubba's rebuilt distributors, so I guess I'll just stay that route, rather than changing the front plate, changing my order, and having to buy a different adapter.

I had located a two bolt cover and had just wondered if that was going to be easier than having to use the adapter. Seems like an adapter is still necessary.

Last edited by Jason in TX; 03-21-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
FlatheadTed

It depends what cam is in there, early cams would need the 3 bolt to 2 plate .

Old 03-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

You might have an early long cam, you might have a late short cam with spacer button...this is common in early engines because most available cams for many years have been the short one. Only way to be sure is to grab the nose of the cam with pliers and pull!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
FlatheadTed

As I see it the front cover 2 bolt brought the dizzy out about 5/16 ,So if your 3 bolt fits right up, then a two bolt should with no adapter ,What say you Bruce ??

Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Jason in TX

Cam says 5-T on the front... Does that help? Not really getting a good bite on it with the pliers, but nothing is moving when I try.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
FlatheadTed

The 5 T truck cam I have is the same lenght as the 3bolt cam so the front cover should work.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
Ol' Ron

The 5-T cam is the standard Ford cam used in all 59 series engines which were supplied with the two bolt cover. Dhould be a boltup. A good way to prove this is to measure the distance from the surface of the distributor surface and the block using a straighr edge across the distributoe pad to a block surfade the cover bolts up to.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
Brian

The 5T cam also was supplied in the earlier engines [long cam] Suggest you try fitting up your crab dissy using the three bolt to two bolt adapter, with your existing setup
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
As I see it the front cover 2 bolt brought the dizzy out about 5/16 ,So if your 3 bolt fits right up, then a two bolt should with no adapter ,What say you Bruce ??
Ted, I'm not Bruce but I can tell you for sure that the two bolt timing gear cover did not bring you out 5/16". It puts you exactly where you were with the three bolt cover relative to mounting face for distributor. It's the length of the cams used with the 2 or 3 bolt covers plus the length at the back of the different distributors (back of mounting flange to key that fits in cam slot) that makes the difference.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-22-2012 at 08:22 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
Hmmm... Well, I also have a 3 bolt to 2 bolt conversion plate located. Should I just go that route?

I saw on Dick Spadero's website that he provides both spacers. I actually already have his 3 to 2 bolt spacer ordered through Bubba's along with one of Bubba's rebuilt distributors, so I guess I'll just stay that route, rather than changing the front plate, changing my order, and having to buy a different adapter.

I had located a two bolt cover and had just wondered if that was going to be easier than having to use the adapter. Seems like an adapter is still necessary.
Don't waste your money and time changing to a two bolt timing gear cover. The 3 to 2 bolt adapter will put that crab distributor right where it wants to be assuming you have the original long cam. Then later if you want to change back to your original helmet distributor you just remove the crab and spacer and bolt your original helmet back in place. This way you can install the crab and keep helmet distributor with you as your road spare. JMO

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-22-2012 at 08:26 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

The extra difference in the fitup is that the crab has a longer casting protrusion on the back where the drive tab is...
So, IF you find you have a short cam, 2 hole front is neatest way.
If cam is original long, either of Dick Spadaro's solutions are the way to go.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote