Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
sethkestenbaum

Default Speedometer Resistance

My 1929 Oval Stewart-Warner Speedometer wasn't as "free spinning" as I understand it is supposed to be. After some doing, I was finally able to get the small oblong plate off of bottom of the speedo, cleared out some chunks, filled the bevel gear drive area with PB Blaster, emptied it, repeated, added some oil, and spun it a bit. It is much smoother.

I am ready to regrease. What grease should I use? Would the grease I use for the water pump be right or do I need to get something else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speedo.jpg (101.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg speedo 2.jpg (102.4 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by sethkestenbaum; 11-13-2011 at 02:40 AM.
sethkestenbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:04 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Speedometer Resistance

I use oil and spin it using an electric drill, then I also add some Mystik JT-6 high temp red grease. That was 10 years ago and it's still working perfectly.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Looking at one or two articles of about 16 at http://www.modelahouse.com/tech/speedometer/

Here is what I have found;

Use one drop of light weight oil, such as sewing machine oil or clock oil, on the following: The odometer drive gear , on shafts, each bushing and number wheel, carry wheels, any place where a shaft turns. The main shaft needs 2 or 3 drops at point just under the magnet, and another 3 or 4 drops on the wick at. Put several drops around the bevel gear after removing the drive gear sleeve. To lubricate the bevel gears use about 1/2 thimbleful of grease, such as Lubriplate 630-AA or Sta-Lube chassis grease. Put 5 spots of grease, about the size of the diam. of a toothpick, around the carry lugs and on the gear teeth of the first 3 numeral wheels on the right (all wheels in the trip group), and on the odometer drive gear. The grease is in addition to a drop of oil on the carry wheels and the numeral wheel bushings. To keep oil from the face of numbers, use very little oil.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
sethkestenbaum

Would the Jet-Lube 35050, Low Temp NLGI Grade 2 grease I use for my water pumps work for the bevel gears?
sethkestenbaum is offline   Reply With Quote