Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2023, 02:04 PM   #1
kurt v

Default 4 barrel intake

Will an 8ba intake fit on a 59a block ?
kurt v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 02:34 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: 4 barrel intake

It will bolt on, but the crankcase ventilation will be backwards; probably best fixed with a properly installed PCV system.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 12:32 PM   #3
Ol' Ron

This is done allot, ask a specific question and someone will will come up to help.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 02:19 PM   #4
tubman

Other than the crankcase ventilation situation (which is a rather esoteric matter), any other problems are about the same as one would run into with any aftermarket manifold swap (linkage, fuel lines, etc.).

As Ron said, if you have any specific questions, I'm sure someone on here can answer them.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 03:47 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
It will bolt on, but the crankcase ventilation will be backwards; probably best fixed with a properly installed PCV system.

As said above, the late intake will bolt to early block, but the two blocks ('35 - '48 & '49 - '53 breathe/ventilate their crankcases completely differently. If you swap and do not modify correctly with a well thought out PCV system, at the very least you're likely to have severe oil leaks almost everywhere on the engine. The direction of ventilation for the two different engines BELOW.

EARLY Engine Breathing

LATE Engine Breathing

BELOW is a link to a comprehensive piece I put together over four years ago with facts and ideas to build a PCV System on an 8BA with an EARLY Thickstun manifold. Good info, pictures and parts list. PLUS .... the ugly PCV Valve is hidden & easily serviceable. Click the link BELOW!

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...take+8ba+block

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 04:51 PM   #6
Bored&Stroked

I'm not sure about the oil leaks - as there should still be no pressure in the crankcase unless they sealed off the breather in the rear and the pan breather. I'd be more concerned about condensation in the oil due to the lack of effective breathing. Once can setup a PCV system - which STILL requires an air inlet source that pumps air DOWN into the lower crankcase.

The air inlet needs to be at the back of the manifold on a 59AB and it also needs to have the 59AB rear baffle installed. With air entry at the rear of the manifold and no rear baffle, the inlet air just goes across the valley and exits wherever you have your PCV plumbed.

If I am correct, the rear of a typical 8BA manifold is a different height than a 59AB - so in order to use the 59AB baffle, one would also need to resolve the fuel-pump mount surface height issue.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 05:07 PM   #7
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I'm not sure about the oil leaks - as there should still be no pressure in the crankcase unless they sealed off the breather in the rear and the pan breather. I'd be more concerned about condensation in the oil due to the lack of effective breathing. Once can setup a PCV system - which STILL requires an air inlet source that pumps air DOWN into the lower crankcase.

The air inlet needs to be at the back of the manifold on a 59AB and it also needs to have the 59AB rear baffle installed. With air entry at the rear of the manifold and no rear baffle, the inlet air just goes across the valley and exits wherever you have your PCV plumbed.

If I am correct, the rear of a typical 8BA manifold is a different height than a 59AB - so in order to use the 59AB baffle, one would also need to resolve the fuel-pump mount surface height issue.
You are correct about the difference in height between a 59AB & 8BA intake.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote