Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2015, 02:18 PM   #1
packrat5
BANNED

Default Selling my stuff

I have realized that I am unable to sell any of my stuff. I have no cell phone, no credit cards, no pay pal, no e-pay account, etc. nothing that is necessary to participate in this century. I am also not very adept at computers. I have LOTS of cool mint 50s stuff, some later. Some of it is NOS the rest is MINT used. 5 storage buildings full, my basement full, and my 2 car garage full. I don't even know what I all have. I've been collecting crap for years. It's a curse collecting , and even more of a curse having it. So far my only sale was a used distributor.
I did have one other sale, a load of cast iron to the scrapper. All of my y-block heads (the good numbers), and all of the exhaust manifolds, and stick shift stuff. Got nearly 1K for the load. I've had some stupid offers on things, and that makes it easier to scrap this stuff. I may be old, and I am willing to dicker, but I am not an idiot, and I do know what this stuff is worth. So there you have it. Bad attitude? Maybe, but It's hard to be congenial about my life's passion being worthless.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Selling my stuff

There could/should be a car club almost near you(?) with folks who'd love to have the stuff you've got. Call around and see what & who you can find.
I've got a brother-in-law that spends summers in Wis. and might bring me things, but most of your stuff won't fit in his Subaru.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #3
JAKEFORD

Use the resources on this site. Set fair prices in today's market and have patience. You will come out OK. I remember my back to the wall about 15 years ago and sold all my old Ford stuff for about 20 cents on the dollar. I still regret doing it but at the time had no choice. Some of my stuff cannot be replaced.
JAKEFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
scicala

Well, at least it looks like you have a computer. Why not buy a cheap digital camera, and have someone who is more adept with computers help you put the pictures on you're computer. Then you can at least post stuff for sale on Forums like this, or Craig's List, or even EBAY.
Hard to sell long distance without pictures.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:25 PM   #5
packrat5
BANNED

I just spent a bunch of time on a reply, ran out of log in time, and lost the post. The heck with it.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:41 PM   #6
dmsfrr

Right next to the User Name and Password log-in boxes is a little check-box labeled "Remember Me?"
Check that box and it will keep you logged in 24/7, until you log out.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
paul2748

You won't take the "stupid offers" but you sell them for pennies on the dollar for scrap???
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #8
packrat5
BANNED

That WAS my best offer on anything so far. And I didn't have to package anything, or pay any shipping
Old 09-02-2015, 07:10 AM   #9
rowens55

Man......I'd love to pick through your "stuff"!!
Wish you were in nor cal! Rowen
Old 09-02-2015, 08:09 AM   #10
flatheadmurre

Basicly its 3 ways to go.

1. live online for a couple of years selling it off one by one getting market value prices.
2. sell to a dealer and get somewhere between half market value and scrap prices.
3. recycle it and take the beating from the people that needed it later
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #11
Big Shark

Packrat5, Were in Wisconsin do you live. I'm always looking for parts for my 37 Ford. Bruce
Big Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #12
Lanny

From an ad I was looking at of his, he is from the Sheboygan area.

What I GOT DONE TODAY...
I put my rear-end in the recliner, and
now I'm going to rest up & watch TV
Lanny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:21 PM   #13
39topless

Sorry you are having a tough time with this. One way to sell parts, without the need of the internet, (paypal, ebay etc.) is to take out an add in Hemmings Motor News. They will let you list every individual part you have or just advertise that you have parts from such and such years and make and go from there. Just your land phone number. You will be flooded with calls if your stuff is as good as you say. You can accept money orders or certified checks etc.(no paypal etc.).
You will still have to ship some items but Fedx etc will pack the stuff for you if need be.
Good Luck. Please don't send your treasure to the scrappers.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #14
jsprengeler

Having sold a few parts myself, I can fully understand how you feel about the shipping piece - it's a pain in the a_ _! You won't get rich doing it either. But, if you can help save a project car, and it helps you clean out your stash, its a win-win for everyone. Please consider selling your parts, not scrapping them! John
Old 09-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #15
packrat5
BANNED

First, I have been trying for years to sell this stuff. My wife has been a saint thru this passion of mine, and at my age, it's time to throw in the towel. I never wanted to "make money" off of this stuff, I just see something "neat or rare" and just have to save it. It's a disease. Carbs for example, I find one beyond repair, and I rebuild it and put it on the shelf. I don't even know how many I have. Think of the money invested in kits and parts for carb rebuilding, and I have LOTS of it. Also I have been paying $250 a month since around 1985 for storage, so there is no profit in any of this. My garage and basement need to be emptied out. My kids don't deserve to be saddled with this mess in the years to come. Selling on Hemmings is horribly expensive, like almost insane. I ran two ads in Y-block magazine, just a small portion of what I had, just highlights, and both ads ran about 400 words each. No results.

Last edited by packrat5; 09-03-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #16
Dobie Gillis

Got any pairs of 113 or 471 heads?. They don't need to be useable, just good cores for rebuild. Shoot me a PM with a price including estimated shipping to middle TN. Truck freight is cheapest.
Dobie Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #17
scicala

Packrat5, I would be interested in hearing what you have as far as carburetors and carb parts for 50's Ford products.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #18
packrat5
BANNED

I scrapped I thought all of them. Going thru my garage Sunday, I found under my Mustang about 6 more sets. I will have to move out a bunch of stuff to check. I didn't save ANY small valve heads. Dobie, I will PM you later next week. I had them for sale at $300 a pair, no takers. Went to $200 a pair, again no takers. That's why they went to the junk.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #19
packrat5
BANNED

The carbs, I will check the numbers and list the Ford ones next week.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #20
Dobie Gillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat5 View Post
I scrapped I thought all of them. Going thru my garage Sunday, I found under my Mustang about 6 more sets. I will have to move out a bunch of stuff to check. I didn't save ANY small valve heads. Dobie, I will PM you later next week. I had them for sale at $300 a pair, no takers. Went to $200 a pair, again no takers. That's why they went to the junk.

I'm looking for big valve heads. The ones on my Merc are the stock '55 small valve ones. I'm hoping to upgrade without shelling out $2K+ for a set of Mummert's heads which would be overkill for my purpose. I'd also be interested in a 4 barrel intake suitable for the bigger valve heads. Looking forward to your PM.
Dobie Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote