Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
billfish

Default Exhaust question

Recently installed dual exhaust on my 51 ford -manifold from (Shoebox Central) and pipes from (Kepich Exhaust). Everything went in fine except clutch lever hits the pipe coming from the manifold. I can shim the pipe to get the 1/2 clearance but this causes the manifold flange and the pipe flange to be ever so slightly misaligned. It looks good to the eye but it leaks. It takes the flat style gasket, I'm thinking of using two gaskets or some type of thicker gasket. Any idea would be appreciated. Thanks Bill
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: Exhaust question

You can use a high temp gasket cement. I just did mine but cannot remember the name of the product used.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
FLA48

I had to heat the exhaust pipe and put a dimple in the pipe for proper clearance with the clutch petal. Tried several other options and this was the only one that worked for me. I am using Red's headers and exhaust pipes. The clearance is very tight, as you have found out.
FLA48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
19Fordy

This may sound crazy, but is there a way you could heat the pipe up red hot in an area where it will bend and while it's still hot tighten all the bolts so as to "pull" it into place? Your double gasket sounds good too, but make one gasket out of sheet metal and then place an exhaust gasket on each side of it and tighten.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
billfish

19FORTY

This is strange but by the time I read your post I had already made a replica of the gasket from a 4 inch steel electrical box blank-off plate. As in your idea I sandwiched it between two regular gaskets and torqued it down. The extra thickness of this arrangement lowered the pipe enough to relax the stress on the joint caused by my need to avoid the Clutch lever. By the way, I connected a small electrical leaf blower to the tail pipe, then ran my hand along the exhaust and easily found where the air was leaking.
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
V12Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish View Post
19FORTY

This is strange but by the time I read your post I had already made a replica of the gasket from a 4 inch steel electrical box blank-off plate. As in your idea I sandwiched it between two regular gaskets and torqued it down. The extra thickness of this arrangement lowered the pipe enough to relax the stress on the joint caused by my need to avoid the Clutch lever. By the way, I connected a small electrical leaf blower to the tail pipe, then ran my hand along the exhaust and easily found where the air was leaking.
Thats a great idea! Wish I had thought of that. I guess you could also use a shop vac with the hose on the exhaust port of the shop vac.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote