Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
Car Pit

Default Installation cost

If I supply the materials, what would you guys say is a reasonable installation cost for having someone install the vinyl top and upholstery on a 30 Tudor? I plan to use an LB interior kit.
Car Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
barnstuf

Default Re: Installation cost

My suggestion is to get estimates here on ford barn for the estimated number of h ours the job will take/. Then you can get local estimates based on the wage scale of folks in your area.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
neds29

Also, just a thought but you might ask LB for what they'd charge.
'29 roadster- Owned for 21 years but now sold.
'28 CC pickup- My first car in Andover, MA back in '62- '63.
neds29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
KGBnut

Boy...that's a tough one. This past summer I did both the upholstery and the roof in my '30 Coupe.

If you are even a little bit handy with tools, I would recommend you try and tackle the upholstery yourself. While time consuming, the LB kits are so well prepared they do not require tremendous skill. This was my first time ever doing upholstery.

The roof was a bit more challenging, but I'm still glad I did it myself. The real challenge there was the miserable condition of the wood. Even with a good wood kit from Bratton's, it took a lot of patience to get the fit right. I do think I put it together with more care than any professional would have done. I worried my self sick about making it water tight. Now, after a few heavy rains... I don't even think about it.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
Dick Carne

I recently inquired of these costs on our fordor, with an upholsterer in the area who is well-known for top and interior installations on both Model A's and classics as well. I was told that he would charge roughly the cost of the interior kit if I provided one of the LB kits, or he would make and install the interior if I provided the materials, for roughly $3,000 - $3,500, exclusive of carpets. However, I have a friend who installed the headliner and interior panels in his 1930 tudor and did an outstanding job. He decided to have LB install the seat covers on his seat frames and springs, but was very satisfied with both the price and the quality of their work product. I believe that I was told by one of the ladies in LeBaron Bonney's service dept. that their hourly shop rate is $70/hour, and that it would take the better part of a week or so to install one of their kits in our fordor. Hope this helps to give you an idea. Good luck either way!
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
Car Pit

Gosh, I thought that would be the easiest question I've asked the barn.
I'll restate the question as advised. How many hours does it take to do these tasks?

All the old upholstery was removed nearly 40 years ago and I've recently replaced nearly all the wood.
I figured I'd install the roof as soon as the weather warms up and wait a couple months to do the interior. As KJBnut noted, I'm quite nervous about water intrusion. A steel roof was screwed on the car with a generous serving of tar around the seam some time before the 60's. I hope I don't regret removing that.
Car Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:42 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

I haven't done much upholstery other than helping a couple guys with their kits, so I can't say how many hours it will take. I know a guy that did a Classtique interior kit in his 29 Tudor and he was done in less than a week all by himself, and it came out much nicer than I would have expected him to do it. He's often in a hurry and doesn't care so much how things look as long as they somewhat work, but he did a nice job on his interior. As KGBnut said, I'd try doing the work yourself, or even having a friend help.

Can't be installing a top here in Minnesota, since we got another foot of snow today.
But if you wait for a hot summer day, you and a couple friends can intall the roof. I think Marco has information on his site, and there have been threads here about installing the roof. Hopefully a search will turn up some help for the job. I did help do the roof on a couple pickups, and two of us spent a few hours to get the job done. I did learn the hard way that you should predrill the holes in OAK for the aluminum trim nails. I had to do that part of the job a second time after I messed up by not predrilling the holes.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
Bob/Kansas City

If you are of a mind to try the upholstery yourself it's not a difficult job particularly with an LB kit. Their quality and fit is very good although the instructions could use a little improvement. Just take your time, read and understand the directions and ask questions. The people at LB are very helpful in working with you to explain something if you get stuck.
You will save a ton of money if you can do it yourself and then you can look back with the satisfaction of having done the job yourself.
The last car I upholstered was about 35 years ago until I did my town sedan with an LB kit last winter and it came out pretty well. I had only a few hours on the weekends to work on it and it took me about 2 months to finish. I talked my wife into helping me and found that she was pretty dam good at upholstery and enjoyed being involved with the car!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (24).jpg (126.6 KB, 48 views)
Bob/Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

the LB kits are very precise and also fairly easy to do. i was also gun shy on tackling it but have found its not hard at all. i have one more front seat to finish

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 04-17-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote