Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
46wischris

Default First Model A for me

Hi,

First post, first Ford, first question. Found a nice older restoration '30 Roadster at a local auction and my wife asked me to bid on it. What a wife, eh? Just got it home and went around the block yesterday after checking things over. We're out in the country, so I got up to around 45 to go up a long hill. Got toward the top and found the windshield had crept up on my knuckles. Kind of an interesting sensation. Can't seem to tighten the wingnuts any more, checked to make sure they weren't bottomed out. I expect there's some deeper business I need to tend to, and was hoping to learn what the best book or books are to start out with, and if any of you fellows could point me in the right direction for this repair.

Thanks, Chris in Wisconsin
46wischris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: First Model A for me

Welcome to the club. That is a nice roadster you have there. If you are new to older cars I would suggest joining a club just to pick some brains. Get the books by Les Andrews they have every detail in them and how to fix it.

Mike
Old 07-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
glenn in camino

I had a 29 phaeton that did that, especially when it was raining. I made a special piece that hooked onto the dash rail and held the windshield in place regardless of wind or rain.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
46wischris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Welcome to the club. That is a nice roadster you have there. If you are new to older cars I would suggest joining a club just to pick some brains. Get the books by Les Andrews they have every detail in them and how to fix it.

Mike
Thanks, Mike, I have a few older cars, and appreciate picking brains. I plan to join up, and I will get the Les Andrews books. Appreciate the help.

Chris
Old 07-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
46wischris

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
I had a 29 phaeton that did that, especially when it was raining. I made a special piece that hooked onto the dash rail and held the windshield in place regardless of wind or rain.
Thanks, Glenn, I like the idea.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

Dear Chris & Your "Most" Loving Wife, for whom I have profound respect,

If I were you both, I would go to church with the Model A to thank God that you just bought a Model A & only have a windshield wing nut problem.

When the collection basket comes by, just double your offering in gratitude for what you saved on replacement Model A parts & time to install same.

And, as a Model A owner for over 55 years, I am dead serious.

Hope this helps to fix the inexpensive wing nut problem.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
46wischris

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Dear Chris & Your "Most" Loving Wife, for whom I have profound respect,

If I were you both, I would go to church with the Model A to thank God that you just bought a Model A & only have a windshield wing nut problem.

When the collection basket comes by, just double your offering in gratitude for what you saved on replacement Model A parts & time to install same.

And, as a Model A owner for over 55 years, I am dead serious.

Hope this helps to fix the inexpensive wing nut problem.
Thanks, H L, I am grateful. The best surprise about this Model A came when we were driving back from the auction. There was an accordion folder with old receipts and various papers for the car, and in it was the story of this Model A from when was found by the then-owner at a salvage and repair yard in the '50's. He had typed a 6 page, single spaced history of his time with the car up until 1985, when this history was being shared with the new owner. It turns out that the fellow who had restored this Model A over the years went on to own and restore Duesenbergs and Packards before he passed away in the late '80's, as I learned from my research. This Model A, though, obviously held a special place in his heart, which really came through in his writing.

To me, these old cars are alive with all the memories of past owners, their families and the times they lived in, and getting to be a part of carrying forward that long line of memories is a privilege. So, finding all these writings and notes about this Model A makes this car even more of a treasure.

This is our oldest car now. We also have a '38 Chevrolet, a '41 Cadillac, a '46 Buick, a '47 Chevrolet, a '51 Nash and a '64 Riviera. I'm especially happy about how much my wife loves this Model A, and even though the paint is cracked, peeling and touched up all over, she doesn't want it repainted - let it show its age a bit, but keep up with the vitamins and exercise. Just like us (well, me, anyway).

So, yes, I am very grateful.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
al's28/33

Welcome Chris, you will find all sorts of new comrades to discuss "A" issues and loves here.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
John LaVoy

Welcome. Hope you have many enjoyable outings in your new Model A. Hope you get active at the local level and join a local chapter and attend some Model A meets in the future
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
Keith True

Is the bottom of the windshield swinging in to hit you? If so,new rubber weatherstripping down both sides and along the bottom will go a long ways toward holding it in place.Even with the wing nuts loose,it should be a little bit of work to make that windshield swing inwards.Or,are the stanchions tipping back at the pivot point at the bottom?That would be from the stops,or upsets,being worn out.I have some nice looking stanchions that were worn like that.Things were fine with the top up,but they would drift back in the wind with the top down.I don't think you could tighten the wing nuts tight enough to hold back that sail at 45 MPH.I just used them on a roadster pickup,where the top is fixed and I don't have to worry about the stops.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
Russell in Tulsa

It would be appreciated by many if you could find the time and means to post the letter you received with the car. And Welcome to a great site and a great automobile.
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
marc hildebrant

Chris,

Welcome to a fine hobby.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
Aerocraft

I ditto Keith's comment about installing new windshield rubber seals. I had an identical problem and stopped the creep with the new seals. They install very easily.

Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #14
Ken B

Chris,
Congrats on the Model A and a great wife!!!! Where in Wisconsin are you located? If you are anywhere near Central Wisconsin, you could check out our Central Wisconsin Chapter of MAFCA in Wisconsin Rapids.
PM me if you need more information.
Thanks,
Ken Brekke
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #15
1931 flamingo

Welcome ! ! !
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #16
46wischris

Quote:
Originally Posted by John LaVoy View Post
Welcome. Hope you have many enjoyable outings in your new Model A. Hope you get active at the local level and join a local chapter and attend some Model A meets in the future
Thanks, John and Al - Joining the local chapter and getting together is what it's all about!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #17
46wischris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
Is the bottom of the windshield swinging in to hit you? If so,new rubber weatherstripping down both sides and along the bottom will go a long ways toward holding it in place.Even with the wing nuts loose,it should be a little bit of work to make that windshield swing inwards.Or,are the stanchions tipping back at the pivot point at the bottom?That would be from the stops,or upsets,being worn out.I have some nice looking stanchions that were worn like that.Things were fine with the top up,but they would drift back in the wind with the top down.I don't think you could tighten the wing nuts tight enough to hold back that sail at 45 MPH.I just used them on a roadster pickup,where the top is fixed and I don't have to worry about the stops.

Thanks Keith, it's tipping back at the bottom pivot point. I would like to replace the stops or upsets if I could. The only replacement part I could find on Snyders that seemed likely is called the Windshield Post Socket. Is that what you're talking about, or something else? I'd like to keep the top down as much as possible, so the wind can blow over my balding head.

Chris
Old 07-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #18
46wischris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Chris,
Congrats on the Model A and a great wife!!!! Where in Wisconsin are you located? If you are anywhere near Central Wisconsin, you could check out our Central Wisconsin Chapter of MAFCA in Wisconsin Rapids.
PM me if you need more information.
Thanks,
Ken Brekke
Thanks Ken, I'm just west of Madison. Wisconsin Rapids isn't too far, and I'll get in touch. I appreciate the invitation!

Chris
Old 07-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #19
46wischris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell in Tulsa View Post
It would be appreciated by many if you could find the time and means to post the letter you received with the car. And Welcome to a great site and a great automobile.
Russel, I'm glad to hear you say that - I was thinking the same thing. I'll get it scanned and post it under a separate thread.

Chris
Old 07-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #20
Bob C

Here is a picture of Marco's roadster showing the stanchion.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 044.jpg (42.0 KB, 41 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote