Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #21
Skeezixx

Default Re: Would you steal an A?

Back in the early 80s I got wind of an "old car" in a carriage house so I called the number given me. I spoke with a "little old lady" who, at first, had no idea what I was talking about but then asked "I was cleaning up the other day and found a car key do you think it's to that car in my garage?"
I showed up as soon as the lady gave me the opportunity. I arrived at what was once a beautiful 19th century mansion but now run down with weeds growing in the fountain and paint peeling all around.

The lady was very nice and showed me to the old 3 place carriage house in the rear of the property which was so covered with vines that there was no way I could open any of the doors without wielding a a machete. I found a hole about two feet wide in the far end wall of it and managed to squeeze my way through.

Once inside I made my way crawling over and under piles of things which had been stored there for the last century or so and finally made my way to the third compartment where I found a totally complete 1931 REO Royale which, according to the lady, had been parked there before WWII.

My friend, who had accompanied me on this outing had managed, after a while, to prize one door open a crack so he and the lady joined me in the inner sanctum. She went on to tell us the history of the car and how she and her husband had gone out on their first date in it. When I finally proposed to her my desire to purchase this car she replied "I don't know what you boys see in these old things, you may have it."

But oh my brothers I was not raised that way and I refused to take it unless she allowed me to pay for it. The car had languished inside that enclosure on a dirt floor with spoke wheels for over 50 years it's back seat serving as nesting for generations of rats and while a fine complete vehicle it was going to need a total and costly restoration. I offered her $5,500 for it which in the early 80s seemed to me a fair price.

She accepted but had to "Check with her brother-in-law" first. And there's the rub. As soon as this guy got involved the value of my barn find escalated to astonishing figures he had heard of antique cars selling for. You know the rest of the story.

The house is now gone, the carriage house demolished, and the wherabouts of the REO unknown to me.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #22
Roadster62

Who would want a 1931 REO Royale for free? Far better that iis crushed now. Bob
Old 11-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #23
dean from bozeman

Part of me says that if a $6,000 car is being sold for $2,000 I would tell them that it is underpriced but I may be more of an A$$ than I am willing to admit. Here's what happened to me at Hershey one year.

I am walking around with some friends and we see what could be an on-off-dim switch. I bend down and pick it up. Indeed it is an on-off-dim switch. I need one for my real early Model A. I spin it around. It says 500 on it. Those of you who are familiar with early Model A's know that it is an essential part and not easy to come by. It may or may not be worth $500 but it is definitely worth a couple hundred in that condition to me.

I walk up to the guy and say, "What do you need for this part?" He spins it around and sees the 500 he wrote on it with yellow crayon. His swap space has a few Model A parts but is mostly a combination of many years, many makes.

He looks back at me and says, 'Five bucks'. With a shaking hand I hand him a $5 bill and walk away. Now whether it is paying $5 for a part that could cost hundreds or paying $2,000 for a car worth $6,000 is there a big difference? What would you have done in my situation?
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #24
Skeezixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Who would want a 1931 REO Royale for free? Far better that iis crushed now. Bob
True. I should consider myself lucky. I'd still be searching today for seals to the chassis oiler.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #25
Cool Hand Lurker

This happened to me in the last year. I heard of a 1951 Ford Victoria for sale in a nearby town for $300 so I went to see it. It needed a lot of rust work but was in really good shape otherwise. The guy had it for 30 years sitting in his garage, going to restore it some day, but now he just wanted it out. He literally was going to take it to the salvage yard and get a couple of hundred for it. I told him that I really didn't need another project and that it was worth a lot more. He said no, that is what I asked and I will stick by that price.

I gave him $300 and told him I would probably resell it, but I would share the profit with him. He said no, I will stick by that price.

A few months later I heard that his brother was looking for a motor for his 41 Merc coupe and I had one that was loose and running sitting in my shop. I gave it to the brother. And I finally felt good.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #26
dankurth

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
This one really hits close to home. Just last night I sold an old Mercedes coupe that I had stashed in the barn about twelve years ago, after my son blew up the engine on his way home from school. The young lady who bought it brought her father with her to look the car over and as I was pointing out all of the things wrong with the car, he was pointing out all of the good points. I finally just shut up and let him talk. I let it go basically for scrap value and could have gotten six times more if I had parted it out, but this way there's a chance the car can be restored and on the road again.
dankurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
P.S.

Some of you guys know, my hobby isn't Model A's or any cars for that matter, I collect and restore antique radios for fun. To me, a car is a car.

Anyway, have had many similar situations as you car guys, but with radios. One such radio I had been searching for popped up on a swap site for old radio guys. It was a 1938 console (floor model as some call them) in NJ, opposite side of the country. The guy sent pictures and told me it had never been restored, was totally original (not working, of course). You car guys think that previous amateur restorations of cars are bad? You ought to see what an amateur restoration of an antique radio does to raise your blood pressure!

Anyway, the guy wanted what seemed like a ridiculously low price for it, he just wanted it gone but to someone who would restore the old family radio rather than junk it or part it out. I ended up paying his asking price, but added a large sum to "pack it" and take it to Greyhound to have it shipped to Cailfornia. I sent him a lot more money for packing because that's the only way I could get him to accept more money than his asking price.

The radio arrived in perfect shape, and was actually much better than it looked in the pictures. The restoration was real quick due to the condition, and that console radio still works to this day, and is still in use in our home.

The rub was all the crap I got from other collectors who insisted that I ripped the guy off. They didn't know about the extra money I sent for "packing" and I never said anything because it's none of their business. The seller was more than happy, I was more than happy, who cares beyond that?

My point is- A sale is between you and the seller. If all involved parties are happy, it's none of anyone else's business.

It's different if it's a widow. Then, all bets are off. Give them what it's really worth, or answer to God.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #28
Rowdy
BANNED

If you pay what is agreed I do not think you can call it stolen. This hobbie is expensive enough. Take a good deal and walk away with it. No need to feel guilty as the law of averages always catches up. Just my thoughts. Rod
Old 11-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #29
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
This happened to me in the last year. I heard of a 1951 Ford Victoria for sale in a nearby town for $300 so I went to see it. It needed a lot of rust work but was in really good shape otherwise. The guy had it for 30 years sitting in his garage, going to restore it some day, but now he just wanted it out. He literally was going to take it to the salvage yard and get a couple of hundred for it. I told him that I really didn't need another project and that it was worth a lot more. He said no, that is what I asked and I will stick by that price.

I gave him $300 and told him I would probably resell it, but I would share the profit with him. He said no, I will stick by that price.

A few months later I heard that his brother was looking for a motor for his 41 Merc coupe and I had one that was loose and running sitting in my shop. I gave it to the brother. And I finally felt good.
Good Dood. What comes around goes around. And I'm a believer in "pay it forward" too, but not so much when it comes to money out of my pocket.

Joe K
Old 11-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #30
ronn

Dean, same thing happened to me at Hershey once

Saw a few 31 chevy pieces on the first day out and went to look at the prices-
hood. 1000, 2 doors 1000 each, decklid 1000
needless to say, I was a bit shocked.

then I thought, could someone have forgotten the period..........
I pulled 10.00 out and handed it to the gentleman for the decklid, he said thx and said, how about the hood, and I said sure and then he threw the 2 doors together for a 10 spot

goes to show, sometimes there is interpretation involved.
30 bucks bought some nice parts and I almost walked away.............
He was happy and so was I.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #31
bart78

When you do get a good low price. Have cash in hand. So no greedy kids get involved.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #32
Rowdy
BANNED

Not quite that good of a deal, but afew years ago at a swapmeet a guy had $10 each on 2 perfect condition 28-29 roof header caps that were still attached to what was left of the header and the trim pice. I payed the $10 each as we needed both and walked away with a smile. Sold our 2 bent up header caps for $40 each as they were fixable. Was it wrong for me to take the good deal and sell my worse condition parts for more? I think not as that was the going price for the condition and the person that bought both was happy. Everyone got what they were satisfied with. Rod
Old 11-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #33
Ross/Kzoo

I have been looking for a telescope for off and on for about the last 6 months. Last week I saw one on Craigslist for $40. I did some research on it and being a total novice thought I would check it out. I get to the house wit 2 $20 bills and a $10 bill. The telescope looked quite good and the lady has her grand kids living with her. After looking it over I asked her what she would take for it and she said $20. I handed her the 20 dollar bill and got in my car and started to go down the drive and stopped, thought to myself "this isn't right" so I went back to the house and handed her the 10 dollar bill. She refused at first but I just said it was OK and left. I felt much better leaving.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #34
BILL WILLIAMSON

"REALITY" CHECK: Does anyone ever feel "GUILTY" for buying something really CHEEP??? NO! You go brag about it to your BUDDIES! Bill W.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #35
Fred
BANNED

It happens every day, Even on E-BAY !!..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #36
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
"REALITY" CHECK: Does anyone ever feel "GUILTY" for buying something really CHEEP??? NO! You go brag about it to your BUDDIES! Bill W.
And you never hear a word about the time your buddy got taken.

Gosh, there are SOOO many good deals out there. I feel left out!

Joe K
Old 11-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #37
Gold Digger

Not every time that it sounds like a good deal it turns out that way. A couple years ago I was at Chickasha Swap Meet and a vender had a new in the box Nu-Rex alternator for sale for $40.00. I asked the man what was wrong with it and he assured me it was new and he just wanted rid of it that he need to go home right away so I bought it. Well it wouldn't charge so I took it in to the electrical shop that rebuilds and works on generators, starters and alternators and they tested it and said it was swarmed on the inside. I just chocked it up for experience.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #38
SeaSlugs

yea, i hate getting burned buying something under false statements. if i truly dont know the condition i will admit it. i collect guns also (yea im broke alot of the time haha) and someone can spiffy up a turd in a hurry. just like cars, guns can look immaculate but function like crap. then what good is it? much like a car with a fresh paint job but needs everything under the sun mechanically.

if i stumble across a good deal especially from a dealer (both cars and guns) and thier price is very reasonable and everything checks out good i jump on it. some places would rather loose a few $$$ on a sale just to move inventory around than research and ask exact market price without haggling. same with individual people - they value the space the object has been taking up more than the object itself wither it be a car, radio, gun, trailer, etc.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #39
gweilbaker

Maybe it is as simple as passing the curse.

Think about it, it could be a Alfred Hitchcock gig.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #40
TDO

I say let your conscious be your guide.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote