Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #21
whirnot

Default Re: 2 different VIN numbers. Which should I go with?

This is not in CT, but since others have chimed in about different states, here is one I ran into that very few know about including most at the DMV office. It seems only some supervisors etc. are familiar with these:

Colorado
Rebuilder's Title
C.R.S. 42-6-108.5
Vehicles valued principally because of the vehicle's early date of manufacture, design, historical interest, or value as a collector's item may be eligible to be issued a Rebuilder's Title when:
  • The motor vehicle is not roadworthy AND
  • The motor vehicle is at least 25 years old AND
  • The components of the motor vehicle include at least a rolling chassis AND
  • No acceptable ownership document is available AND
  • The motor vehicle is physically located in Colorado
  • All steps on the Rebuilder's Title Checklist have been successfully completed
REBUILDER TITLE TO REGULAR TITLE
A vehicle previously issued a Rebuilder's Title may be eligible to be issued a regular title after it has been rebuilt and the items on the Rebuilder's Title to a Regular Title Checklist have been completed.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #22
1931 flamingo

All this info for other states is valid and interesting but doesn't apply to CT.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #23
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Chris H, I did not doubt the accuracy of your citation.

just expressing my opinion regarding how unlikely it would be to come up against DMV or law enforcement personnel who are chicken-s**t enough to make an issue of this if they do not see the block until after the numbers are stamped and the car owner has a frame with the same number and at least a bill of sale to prove he purchased it legally and from whom.

each owner has to make their own decision regarding how they would handle this, but I would take a run at it without hesitation so I could title a legally acquired vehicle with the right number.....

once again, j.m.h.o.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #24
PetesPonies

Restamping engine blocks is done daily. It is not legally considered the VIN of a vehicle. Many companies opening stamp blocks to match the cars they go in and advertise about doing it.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #25
flathead 1150

Here in CT they go by engine # I recently registered a car that had a different number on the registration due to the car had a new engine installed, I did a vin verification and gotten the car registered with the new engine number.
flathead 1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #26
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

To me it is the difference between the letter of the law and the intent of the law. If you have all the original and correct information for the car (title matches the frame number) I see little problem with restamping the engine to make the DMV in your state happy with they way they confirm paperwork. (Yes it is technically illegal) In one state it is the frame number in another state it is the engine number but if the paperwork is true to the car since new I would make the DMV happy.

This is not to say I don't have a problem with matching cars with paperwork that never had anything to do with the car. (Build car from parts, find a title from someone and make it match the parts)
Old 06-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #27
gwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
Restamping engine blocks is done daily. It is not legally considered the VIN of a vehicle. Many companies opening stamp blocks to match the cars they go in and advertise about doing it.
Actually in Texas, the motor number is the VIN on Ford vehicles produced prior to Dec 1932.
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #28
Tugmaster

Here is a update. Just got home from DMV and it is registered. No problems at all.
In Ct you used to be able to have the VIN verified by either a local cop or state trooper. About 2 years ago it changed. Now it has to be done at DMV or by a garage that does emissions testing. Well the guys at the local garage were nice enough to stop by my house and verify the VIN. I took all the paper work to DMV and was in and out in 30 min. I went ahead and registered it as a 30 and not a 31 and used the frame number. Todd
Tugmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #29
1931 flamingo

At least you got it registered without having to go to Wethersfield ! Congratulations.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #30
Tugmaster

Never thought I would have to go to Weathersfield. They are like any other govt entity. They just push paper. As long as you have all the paperwork that they want to,see they are happy. As a matter of fact my car does not have a odometer at this time so the odometer reading was blank on both the vin form and my application. The guy behind the counter said he needed a number, any number to enter in the computer. I pulled a number out of my head and gave it to him and he was happy. Todd
Old 07-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #31
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugmaster View Post
Here is a update. Just got home from DMV and it is registered. No problems at all.
In Ct you used to be able to have the VIN verified by either a local cop or state trooper. About 2 years ago it changed. Now it has to be done at DMV or by a garage that does emissions testing. Well the guys at the local garage were nice enough to stop by my house and verify the VIN. I took all the paper work to DMV and was in and out in 30 min. I went ahead and registered it as a 30 and not a 31 and used the frame number. Todd
Just curious, did they also include the motor number somewhere on the title certificate?
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #32
Tugmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
Just curious, did they also include the motor number somewhere on the title certificate?
No. The only number used was the number on the frame. Ct does not issue titles for vehicles over 25 years old. Todd