Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
TagMan

Default 1936 Experts......HELP!!

I've been in the old car hobby for 40+ years, but I always seemed to have GM or orphan car, never a Ford, although I always admired them. I had a chance to buy a '36 3-window and I fell in love with it.

The car had a cobbled-up passenge side tail light and I wanted a correct one. A fellow answered an ad I had posted on Mac's bulletin board and told me he had one in amazingly good shape and for a fair price. I believed, and still believe, he was convinced it was for a coupe. I paid for the unit and it arrive a day or two later, but when I went to put in on for a trial fit, I found the base, where it mounts to the fender, is not the correct curvature to fit my fender and the (2) 5/16-18 mounting studs are approximately 3/4'-1" longer than needed. I believe the sedan's stand was shorter, but maybe this one fits another model? In any event, I've posted a few pics of it placed on my fender, so you can see the variation in fit. I'd really appreciate any help you could provide.
Thanks,
Bob

TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Tinker

Default Re: 1936 Experts......HELP!!

Here is what I have. 5w
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tail0476.JPG (83.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg tail0478.JPG (105.9 KB, 38 views)
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Mr 42

I think early 36 convertibles had 35 rear fenders.
maybe someting similar with your car.
But the Expert's will know :-)
Mr 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
Matt in Alameda

You might want to look in the 35-36 Early Ford V-8 book. The 1935 tail light stand is completely different than the 1936. By looking in the book on page 21, you can readily see that you have a 1936 Ford tail light stand...the '36 is much longer with a different sweep at the fender.....Matt in Alameda

Last edited by Matt in Alameda; 08-04-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: typo, senior moment
Matt in Alameda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Terry,OH

Beside the fender one of the studs has to go through a brace inside the fender. many of the original brackets have the mounting studs broken off ( due to rust) and replaced with a welded on stud. The original studs are 5/16-24 fine thread. If your car has a rumble seat the RH tail light bracket also has a threaded hole for a step pad, and the fender has an additional hole near the peak of the fender for a second step pad that is attached with special washer and special nut.
The RH tail light bracket is only for the Deluxe cars. The Standards had only one tail light on the LH side. If the car is a Standard and it has a rumble seat there is a very special bracket for the lower step pad since there is no tail light and the fender would have a second hole at the peak of the fender.
The tail light bracket you show appears to be 36 to me. there is a rubber pad between the bracket and the fender.

Last edited by Terry,OH; 08-04-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
TagMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Beside the fender one of the studs has to go through a brace inside the fender. many of the original brackets have the mounting studs broken off ( due to rust) and replaced with a welded on stud. The original studs are 5/16-24 fine thread. If your car has a rumble seat the RH tail light bracket also has a threaded hole for a step pad, and the fender has an additional hole near the peak of the fender for a second step pad that is attached with special washer and special nut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
The RH tail light bracket is only for the Deluxe cars. The Standards had only one tail light on the LH side. If the car is a Standard and it has a rumble seat there is a very special bracket for the lower step pad since there is no tail light and the fender would have a second hole at the peak of the fender.
The tail light bracket you show appears to be 36 to me. there is a rubber pad between the bracket and the fender.

Thanks for all the replies and especially yours, Terry. My car is a trunk style, no R/S. I did forget to include the bracket that goes under the fender and that will take up some of the stud length.

The rubber pad that fits under the tail light stand, which I haven't gotten yet, couldn't possibly make up for the misfit to the fender. I put the left-hand one on the right fender and it fits closer than the one I bought does!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
TagMan

One more thought........

I talked with the gentleman I purchased the tail light & stand from and he said he'd had two of them and sold the other to a friend who installed it on a '36 5-window with no problem. I described my fender and he believes I may have a '35 fender, which has a different cross section than the '36. Is that possible?

Maybe my best direction would be to see if, on my next visit to Mac's, they'd let me try the tzail light on a fiberglass '36 fender to see if it fits. I may wind up having to buy a set of glass fenders, although I'd rather not......

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm at a fairly expensive loss right now.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
Mike in AZ

from what i can see, you have a '36 tail light stand....it appears to be a repop one and the part which contains the 2 bolts isn't high enu in the body of the stand and doesn't allow the stand to sit down on the fender as it should....does it fit better at the top if the bottom part is lifted up a little??....the 3rd pic seems to show that it can't fit down onto the fender as it should....hope you can get a refund?...and if you post a pic of your fender, it could be you have a '35 fender....good luck....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
Charlie ny
BANNED

Bob,
Your fender is crowned ,by looking at the photos, which is '36.
The stand is most definately a '36 ,pt# 68-13470A. I believe your fender
may have been drilled at some point in its past for a '35 stand.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
Coupe35

Your stand looks to nice to be an original. It's a reproduction and most reprodution steel parts do not fit.
Coupe35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #11
TagMan

Charlie ny, you're correct, the fender was for a standard coupe and was drilled for a tail light some time in the past. Perhaps the holes were drilled incorrectly and the whole problem might be that. Is there any sort of template available for installation of the tail light?

The tail light is defintely '36, as the '35 is visibly shorter and the base of the stand is different. The quality looks to be excellent and if I can get it to fit correctly, it'll be a beautiful piece.

I'm off to the truck meet at Carlisle, PA tomorrow for a few days, but next week I'm going to cast a form from the fender that can be moved around to see if I can get it to fit correctly. I'll take some pics and post the procedure as a "tech" piece, if anyone would like to see my blundering about!

Thanks again, everyone !!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #12
Ford coupe

Looks to me like the light stand has to be moved over toward outside of fender..The ridge on top of the stand must line up with with the rdge on fender to look right when car is finished Also bottom of stand must centre with the ridge on fender..The holes in fender have been drilled off to one side..You will have to apply fill to fender for final fit.You can also file a bit off the light stand but i dont recommend it..Hope this helps Harry
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #13
1932 V8

A few pictures . Not the best but might help ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04853.JPG (133.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04854.JPG (140.0 KB, 58 views)
1932 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #14
TagMan

I looked at it a little closer and I'm pretty sure whoever drilled the holes for the tail light stand should have their tool usage permit revoked! Another welding job and redrill for the correct fit.

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate all of your inputs.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:24 AM   #15
Tom Morookian

In your third picture it appears that the tailstand is pointing "out" at angle. On mine the tailstand points slightly "in". My guess is about the same as several others - the holes in the fender are drilled wrong. File/Dremyl the holes out till the stand fits, mark where bolts go thru thefender and thne you can weld up the "wrong" space.
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #16
TagMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Morookian View Post
In your third picture it appears that the tailstand is pointing "out" at angle. On mine the tailstand points slightly "in". My guess is about the same as several others - the holes in the fender are drilled wrong. File/Dremyl the holes out till the stand fits, mark where bolts go thru thefender and thne you can weld up the "wrong" space.

Thanks for the info, Tom. I'm going to try your suggestion next week and report back my results.

1932 V8, Thanks for the pics. If only mine could look so good! Some day, I hope..........
-Bob