Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2023, 02:02 PM   #1
cmhenry57

Default Steering Linkage

Is the steering gearbox and linkage (pitman arm, idler arm, etc) the same on a '57 Thunderbird and '57 Fairlane? I want to add power steering to a '57 Fairlane and am hoping to use the upgrade kit from NPD and the other T-Bird stores.
cmhenry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 04:22 PM   #2
55blacktie

Default Re: Steering Linkage

According to Concours Parts & Accessories website, at least some of the parts interchange. For instance, both Tbird and full-size share the same part # for idler arm bushings. If you don't get a better response, you might want to contact Concours. I would also be on the lookout for a 10%-off Labor Day Sale.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 04:46 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

You keep your original '57 Fairlane steering gearbox. It is the same for cars with or without power steering. The pitman arm for power steering cars is a different part. It drops down lower to accommodate the pass-thru of the control valve under the frame.
I'd be skeptical of using the cast-iron idler-arm bracket from a T-Bird kit on a Fairlane frame. Possibly wrong angle and might cause a binding situation.
You probably need to remove your original crankshaft damper, since the T-Bird with power steering used a double sheave rather than a bolt-on sheave for the power steering pump. But the T-bird crankshaft damper should go on your Y-block as the original. If you want to keep your original crankshaft damper, you can still buy the duplicate-of-original add-on sheave that was used on car Y-blocks of that era.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 07:49 PM   #4
KULTULZ

The 57 BIRD used the same steering/suspension system as the 55-56 BIRD which was basically the same as the 54-56 FORD.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 07:59 PM   #5
55blacktie

Don't rush out and buy a 55-57 Tbird damper; they are expensive, and the alignment is different. There are reproduction Y-block dampers available for non-Tbird applications that are more affordable. If there's nothing wrong with your damper, I think you should be able to add the additional pulley to accommodate accessories, like a ps pump/ac compressor. Yes, both power steering and manual steering use the same steering-gear box, but there are other components that are not the same.
Old 08-25-2023, 08:41 PM   #6
miker98038

The 57 ford got the new design, the 57 bird was a carry over from 56. Your going to be looking for a take off from a parts car most likely. I don’t know what interchanges in those years or when things changed. 1958-1959?

You can also look at the Borgeson products. They have a good name, but are a long ways from a simple bolt on.

https://www.borgeson.com/P-S-Convers...Ford-Cars.html
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 08:55 AM   #7
KULTULZ

Quote:
You can also look at the Borgeson products. They have a good name, but are a long ways from a simple bolt on.
Please say I didn't hear you say that ...
Old 08-26-2023, 11:17 AM   #8
55blacktie

I gave some thought to a Borgeson conversion on my manual-steering 55 Tbird, but it does require modifying the steering column, and it won't clear my Sanderson headers. There are also electric conversion kits that are contained under the dash, but they also require steering column modifications. The parts for either cost about $1500. You might be looking at an additional $1,000-$1,500 for labor.

Personally, I would live with manual steering before installing the OEM-type boom power steering, and I would not install rack-and-pinion steering; others have and regretted it, not only for the cost, but it increases the turning radius (at least on 55-57 Tbirds).
Old 08-26-2023, 12:44 PM   #9
evintho

As far as electric power steering, I'm very happy with mine and it didn't cost $1500. I'm all in for $200. Minor fabrication involved.......

https://www.hotrodders.com/threads/e.../#post-4739217
evintho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 12:54 PM   #10
55blacktie

evintho, glad you're happy with the results, but I wouldn't attempt it myself. "A man's got to know his limitations." (Dirty Harry)
Old 08-26-2023, 11:15 PM   #11
miker98038

I wouldn’t avoid the oem set up with the ram. They’re a little dead on center, and you may have the odd drip in the garage, but I can live with that. More important is the original box is tight (read rebuilt).

I can tell you from personal experience a r&p isn’t an improvement worth the time and money.

Give me a break K. I didn’t suggest a Morrison coil over chassis, set up for a 392 hemi, like I might on another site.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 10:00 AM   #12
KULTULZ

Wink Re: Steering Linkage

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post

Give me a break K. I didn’t suggest a Morrison coil over chassis, set up for a 392 hemi, like I might on another site.
Modifying OLD FORD IRON with CHI-COM, JAP-CRAP and BOW-TIE is blasphemy and sacrilegious ... (DAMN, that 3rd grade education is showing itself).

GOD will get you Mikee ...

If a rack install is done correctly, it will have the correct turning radius (ackerman). It was done for years for hot street or track (in other words, don't be so CAVALIER about it).

Now take a few deep breaths, rise up a little and pull the bunching out of your britches ...

- AT MY AGE, ONE APPRECIATES A STURDY HANDRAIL -
Old 09-05-2023, 04:44 AM   #13
Just Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Please say I didn't hear you say that ...
Hi Kultulz,
I was wondering about your comment on the Borgeson products. Reason being I was looking at this for our '54 Ranchwagon. Now you have me worried!
I look forward to your reply.

Brian.
Just Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 08:03 AM   #14
KULTULZ

Talking Re: Steering Linkage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Brian View Post

Hi Kultulz,

I was wondering about your comment on the Borgeson products. Reason being I was looking at this for our '54 Ranchwagon. Now you have me worried!
I look forward to your reply.

Brian.
I am a purist Brian. To me modifying an early FORD with such modification(s) is not proper, as such modifications will change the character of the car.

Rack and pinion is acceptable only if using later FORD parts and done properly (not on resto but modified street use).

But it is your car, you do with it what you want to.

Don't worry about a raving old man ...

KULTULZ - SHUDDERS AT HEI AND 1-WIRE ALT -

- AT MY AGE, ONE APPRECIATES A STURDY HANDRAIL -
Old 09-06-2023, 02:43 AM   #15
Just Brian

Smile Re: Steering Linkage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
I am a purist Brian. To me modifying an early FORD with such modification(s) is not proper, as such modifications will change the character of the car.

Rack and pinion is acceptable only if using later FORD parts and done properly (not on resto but modified street use).

But it is your car, you do with it what you want to.

Don't worry about a raving old man ...

KULTULZ - SHUDDERS AT HEI AND 1-WIRE ALT -
Thanks for your reply and honesty Kultulz.
I was looking at the power steer box, not rack and pinion. The '54 is a little modified, '57 292 with a 4 speed.
As we get older the armstrong steering isn't as good as it used to be.
Please carry on raving, your knowledge helps us all with the old Fords.
Cheers,
Brian
Just Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 06:51 AM   #16
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Steering Linkage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Brian View Post

As we get older the armstrong steering isn't as good as it used to be.

Please carry on raving, your knowledge helps us all with the old Fords.

Cheers,

Brian
Not to worry as I retain enough water for a whole bunch of old women.

I understand what you want to do.

Years ago, the GRANADA SWAP was beginning to come about and then seemed to be replaced by R&P. The STR BOX is quicker and the parts seemed to be easier to come by.

That to me would be legit as it is using FORD design and parts.