Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2023, 07:33 PM   #21
rotorwrench

Default Re: The knock off carbs on Ebay

The patents ran out in the last century. Trademarks are the only thing they can't copy without infringement. Someone likely approached the Chinese manufacturer or plural and contracted them to make the design that they wanted so I don't think anyone broke any law doing this. Terry Burtz is having a Chinese manufacturer cast the model A type blocks and do the machine work to finish them. Tod Buttermore has cast OEM style model A blocks here in the USA but I don't hear of them being marketed anywhere yet.

Chinese stuff is sold all over the world since most countries have to charge more for domestic production due to more than a few overhead concerns. If there ends up being a problem between the western world and the CCP then all of that stuff will disappear pretty quick but until that time, folks will keep on purchasing products made in the CCP due to the low prices. The stuff is literally everywhere you look.

I find myself looking for old US made stuff and doing any repairs needed. I find that much of it is still usable and I can generally purchase it for an acceptable price.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:48 PM   #22
Jack E/NJ

>>>Never seen those before. $157.00 seems awful cheap to me.>>>>

I recall that brand new 97s & 94s were less than $25 at Western Auto. I'm still using one of their 97s on my early '38. Still works good too after all these years. 8^)
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 09:11 PM   #23
1942deluxe

Cjshaker, I recall our son saying to someone " Mom and I can't even tell the old man if we go to Wal Mart because he gets jacked". True statement.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 09:27 PM   #24
Ford Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
>>>Never seen those before. $157.00 seems awful cheap to me.>>>>

I recall that brand new 97s & 94s were less than $25 at Western Auto. I'm still using one of their 97s on my early '38. Still works good too after all these years. 8^)
Carpenters repop Holley 94 carbs are now $597.00.
I purchased one from him 8 yrs. ago for $299.00. It worked fine on my stock '39 flatty for yrs. 'till I sold the car last yr. Just saying....
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:03 PM   #25
Ol' Ron

I understand that China Owns GM now. And GE has most of it's appliances made in México and I wonder where the Ford Pickups are made?? Fortunately, I shop at junk yards.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:22 PM   #26
1942deluxe

Ol' Ron, the F150 is assembled in Michigan and Kansas City. Super Duty in Kentucky.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 12:22 AM   #27
Newc

My Ford Transit Van came from the 'Louiaville' plant. I remember. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 05:22 AM   #28
ronn

understand the playing field hasnt been even in 50 years. We had epa in the 60s. they still dont. nor do they care too.

of course we've shot ourselves in the foot and most manufacturing will never come back.
hit the fleas, buy cores and have them rebuilt or better yet, rebuild them yourself.
otherwise you cant compete.
its called transfer of wealth..........

Last edited by ronn; 04-02-2023 at 07:44 AM.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 12:03 PM   #29
rotorwrench

The Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (SAIC) is a 50% owner in GM and controls the Chinese operations. Don't forget what happened in 2008 with the TARP bail out. GM could be gone if they hadn't turned things around. A lot of GM is still here in the US and a lot of Americans are smaller share holders. The Buick cars are he big sellers in China. Anything made over there has to pass our regulations too plus it has to be shipped over here as well.

Things really started to change after 1992 when China opened up and that was just over 30 years ago. Never say never. Folks would still rather be here than most places. I just hope we are getting folks with ambition and common sense coming over our borders right now. I've heard that some are Chinese and they may be the smart ones but I don't know. I can only hope and pray for the best for the western world and Commonwealth at large.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-03-2023 at 10:39 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 03:24 PM   #30
cjshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Push the subject? Um, asking questions is how one continues a conversation.
Good for you in that you attempt to buy American made products. Seriously.
It appears you, one of few, realize that without wholesalers buying all the stuff from other countries, and most folks wanting "cheap" without considering quality / service life, this would be a non-issue.
Too bad there are so few folks with your dedication.

Yes, I apologize for seeming confrontational. I've hated Walmart since seeing them destroy many small local businesses in my local towns. I also realize most people just don't care so long as they get stuff cheaper. Same goes in the car hobby.

I've dealt with enough of these cheap products that I know, in the end, you'll have more money and lots of frustration invested in them than if a person would have invested just a bit more, ending in a far superior product. Even if that involves seeking out an older piece and refurbishing it. Doesn't matter if it's cooking utensils or car products, it all applies.
cjshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 03:56 PM   #31
Kube

[QUOTE=cjshaker;2215876]Yes, I apologize for seeming confrontational. I've hated Walmart since seeing them destroy many small local businesses in my local towns. I also realize most people just don't care so long as they get stuff cheaper. Same goes in the car hobby.

I've dealt with enough of these cheap products that I know, in the end, you'll have more money and lots of frustration invested in them than if a person would have invested just a bit more, ending in a far superior product. Even if that involves seeking out an older piece and refurbishing it. Doesn't matter if it's cooking utensils or car products, it all applies.[/QUOT

I agree with you in full.

Even as a young man when money was not as easy to come by, I'd always purchased the best quality I could afford. In the long run, as you allude to, buying quality is typically cheaper in the long run.

Many (most?) folks probably don't realize that Walmart tends to have a very negative effect on the local area they are doing business within.
There have been numerous long-term studies to prove this out.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:22 PM   #32
34fordy

I have probably worn this out, even on the Ford Barn==My first fulltime job in 1963 in a lumberyard had a sign above the cash register.

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten"
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 05:55 PM   #33
ronn

A large majority of Americans buy on price. I would dare say those buying high quality are a very small minority.

This is why so many mom and pop shops, hardware stores etc have folded. It would be nice if it werent true, but it is.......
not picking an argument- just a fact of life.
How many people enjoy a Sunday dinner with fine silver and Lenox china nowadays?
its mostly plastic cups and utensils that the younger folks are interested in. no need to clean and no investment in nice "things'.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:55 PM   #34
koates

Strange that nobody has mentioned the genuine Stromberg 97 carbs made in England. I have used several of these and their quality is just brilliant. They work perfectly straight out of the box. Several versions are available now. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:52 AM   #35
pistonbroke

Hi All, Boy, I hope nobody got offended here. I was just told of a fenton duce intake with a pair of these 1 1/16 bore carbs on it for a fair price and was toying with buying it, but it was sold before I could get my hacked bank account sorted out. I agree with CJShaker,(How can you argue with a guy that drives a 55 customline) we all need to do our best to keep our economy alive.
Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 02:15 PM   #36
Ol' Ron

Can you imagen what it will be like in another 20 years??
Old 04-03-2023, 03:15 PM   #37
L-head

At the rate this is happening, we'll be buying and paying for all our "stuff" with yen.
L-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:21 PM   #38
Bill OH

And we will be eating pork, chicken and rice with soy sauce exclusively.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 04:31 PM   #39
jerdan

I buy used original Holly 94's and rebuild them with vintage speed parts. I re-sell them on Facebook.
jerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 10:14 PM   #40
Ol' Ron

So Ford is the last American auto company left. Out lasted all the rest. I think Chrysler is owned by Feit.. But could be wroong again.
Gramps