Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
hope

Default Rear quarter window on 40 tudor

O.K. I was going to tackle that rear quarter window on my own, but looks like i'm going to need more than some words of encouragement, like the proper way to mate the glass and the window regulator.

I've got the glass set in the side channels, but anytime i try to mate the glass and the regulator no matter how i slide either one up or down seems impossible to get a near fit.
Is it better to have the arms of the regulator cranked all the up or down?
Thank to anyone that replies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5340.jpg (41.1 KB, 34 views)
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Chris in MA

Default Re: Rear quarter window on 40 tudor

I went through this recently, the glass is a PAIN to reinstall. Out of all the articles I read, this one had the best explanation. Although I still couldnt get the glass in with one person. You will probably need a second pair of hands.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...w+installation

Good luck, and please let us know how you did.
Chris
Chris in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
john worden

Just went through this. The small stop screw must be removed from the glass setting chanel. The glass/channel will accept the regulator arm rollers when the regulators are first brought up as far as possible and then slowly lowered slightly while positioning the glass/channel so as to allow the regulator spring loaded rollers to engage one at a time into the glass/channel as you crank slowly. The engagement is just visible through a small hole up high in the interior panel. I suggest a patient helper standing outside the car holding the glass while you work the regulator handle and observe the parts with a flashlight through the hole. Once the rollers are engaged try not to crank the glass to the fully closed position until the stop screw is refitted or you will be doing it all over again. Also helps to have some white grease on the rollers and in the channel to help things along some. The regulator must be in perfect working order as well. I also used a hook tool through the small upper hole to help position the reg. in/out or the glass/channel in/out at the time they were about to engage. luck

john
Old 06-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by john worden View Post
Just went through this. The small stop screw must be removed from the glass setting chanel. The glass/channel will accept the regulator arm rollers when the regulators are first brought up as far as possible and then slowly lowered slightly while positioning the glass/channel so as to allow the regulator spring loaded rollers to engage one at a time into the glass/channel as you crank slowly. The engagement is just visible through a small hole up high in the interior panel. I suggest a patient helper standing outside the car holding the glass while you work the regulator handle and observe the parts with a flashlight through the hole. Once the rollers are engaged try not to crank the glass to the fully closed position until the stop screw is refitted or you will be doing it all over again. Also helps to have some white grease on the rollers and in the channel to help things along some. The regulator must be in perfect working order as well. I also used a hook tool through the small upper hole to help position the reg. in/out or the glass/channel in/out at the time they were about to engage. luck

john
Hi John
I'm i right in assuming that this procedure is done with the regulator bolted in place, (maybe loosely).

I took everything out and starting from scratch. As per advise i'm taking my time so as not to loose patience, i work on it for a while and after struggling some i leave it alone.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
john worden

Yes regulator loosely bolted in so it can move around some. Patience is good. Remember that the first install is the schooling and the second one will go easier.
john
Old 06-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
hope

Thanks John for the reply.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #7
klawockvet

Please delete. Posted on wrong forum

Last edited by klawockvet; 01-21-2020 at 03:25 PM. Reason: posted on wrong forum
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:15 AM   #8
neilswheels

Hi John,
just wanted to thank you for posting the info on removal and refitting of these. I posted on the HAMB asking the same thing, but no one seemed to remember or know. I hope you dont mind, I copied the links to your posts, and the content, and reposted over there.

One question, when you remove/refit the windows, do they come out the back of the opening, so reward, or towards the front? I've tried towards the front, and it seems to be stuck..

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...#post-13890412
neilswheels is offline   Reply With Quote