Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Trashman60

Default Auto trans for Model A

This is probably going to stir up a a hornets nest, Is it possible to bolt up a auto trans to a model A? If so, what trans will fit?
Trashman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:45 PM   #2
RUNNERBUN

Default Re: Auto trans for Model A

Good luck, I got crucified by a local club member here in Aus. because I installed a Mitchell Synchro transmission. Was told that I had become a hot rodder.
I suspect that you will be advised to post your request on another forum.
To each his own. Your car your choice. I wish you well whichever way you choose to go.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

some people have certain health issues which require them to need an automatic. try doing a search here i remember some threads on it. you can also try contacting steve at berts model A..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:55 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

It is perfectly acceptable if you have a medical need for an automatic transmission. If you just "want" to have one that is an entirely different story.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:19 PM   #5
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

I to would like to know the answer to that question. Not sure I want to attempt to drive my 30 coupe with only one leg. I am missing my lower Rt leg. Flat O Matic makes an adapter for a C4 trans to a Flat Head. I plan to do that with my 46 Coupe. I do have a false leg and do drive my Impala and Silverado truck but both have auto trans. I have driven them W/O a false leg when I first had my leg amputated and before I got my new legs. (I have 3 prostatics) A work leg thay you don't have to be too careful with, a dress leg, and a skinny dipping Oops I mean a shower leg or water leg.)
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:27 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Do a search on "Art Moore". Also do a search for "automatic transmissions". Use advanced search to restrict you search to Model A's. You will come up with threads such as this: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ight=art+moore and this: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...son#post186984

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 01-21-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:49 PM   #7
Y-Blockhead

From the "Hot Rodder" community check out Bendtsen's http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Model%20A.htm or Wilcap http://www.wilcao.com

Ask Gene at Flat-o also. http://www.flat-o.com/carproducts/flatomatic.htm He may be able to help you out. I have a Flat-o/C-4 behind the 312" in my '55 Ranchwagon and love it.

Good luck.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:04 AM   #8
Dave Mellor NJ

I knew a guy who had a Pinto engine with an automatic in a 29 pickup.He used to load it up with parts and set up at the flea markets all around NJ,Pa and Del. I think it was fairly easy. I guess you'd need the drive shaft and rear, too.
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:11 AM   #9
Barber31

I remember googling transmission conversions for model A and a site was listed that makes automatics conversions using chevy trannys. I don't remember the name but just google that and go down the list.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:20 AM   #10
Kurt in NJ

The closest trans that I have seen to a direct fit was from a Peugot 505 wagon, they have torque tube drive, the trans is short, and is made to take many different bellhousings, I don't know where you would find one, those cars wern't common and dissapeared quick, although many cars of the 70s,80s used that type of ZF trans with open drive, even 6cyl BMW so it would take the model A torque and HP
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:06 AM   #11
Fullraceflathead

Anything can be done.
I personally would advise against it.
The reason is most automatics take a lot of power to operate. It's not a big deal with 100+ Horse power engines but a stock A has 40.
It would work but I bet it would be a slow pig driving wise.
I believe the old Chevy Powerglide only takes about 9 horsepower to drive, but it's only a 2 speed trans. The bigger 3 and 4 speed auto trans will take close to double that. A modern Turbo 700R would be a good choice as having a real Low first gear ratio to get moving and it has an overdrive 4th but it's a BIG Trans. Ford made a small 3 speed auto trans called a C4. I run one of these in my Flathead V8 Dragster. It's a fairly light weight all aluminum Trans. The old Ford Pinto used a light duty version called a C3. If your engine is stock I'd stay away from an Auto trans.
If you loose some of the Pep of your Model A (I think you would) you'll not enjoy driving it as much. It might turn a lot of money spent into a regret.
If you can shift gears but are trying to get away from old non synchromesh transmissions you have more options.
The other thing to consider is just about all of the automatics will require you to make a huge raised hump on your floorboard to clear the case. The hot rod guys mount the drive line lower in there custom frames. If your A is original you won't want to cut it up to fit a auto trans in it.
If you cannot shift a Manual do to a disability then I guess a C4 3 speed would be about the smallest and it is a FORD Product. The driveline would also have to be converted to an open driveshaft I believe.
Just my thoughts, it's Your Car.

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:33 AM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mellor NJ View Post
I knew a guy who had a Pinto engine with an automatic in a 29 pickup.He used to load it up with parts and set up at the flea markets all around NJ,Pa and Del. I think it was fairly easy. I guess you'd need the drive shaft and rear, too.
i have seen the (pinto) setup also.. had the 2.3 motor with the c-4 trans...
Old 01-22-2015, 07:34 AM   #13
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Was the Pinto setup not the setup used in the Shay reproduction ?
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:37 AM   #14
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Was the Pinto setup not the setup used in the Shay reproduction ?
Wayne
Wayne,
yes it was
Old 01-22-2015, 08:48 AM   #15
1931 flamingo

You might try Bert's in Denver. I remember a thread from a while ago about adapting a Chrysler product auto to the A engine.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:22 AM   #16
zzlegend

I met a guy about 4 weeks ago that is running a built and very fast "B" motor with a Chrysler 904 automatic. Their is a guy making the adapter for this conversion. Check this also.
http://www.transmissionadapters.com/...t%20automatics
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #17
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
I met a guy about 4 weeks ago that is running a built and very fast "B" motor with a Chrysler 904 automatic. Their is a guy making the adapter for this conversion. Check this also.
http://www.transmissionadapters.com/...t%20automatics
there was a recent thread that berts sold the adapter plate to install a torqueflite (904)....
Old 01-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #18
Charlie Stephens

As "Trashman60" started out "This is probably going to stir up a a hornets nest..." it might also be good to consider installing a late model 4 cylinder engine complete with the automatic trans and rear end that was designed to go with it. I would still like to know if there is a medical reason for this change? If there isn't then it is a bad, very bad, idea.

Charlie Stephens
Old 01-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #19
bobH

ZZlegend... I believe I've probably seen the same Model A at so cal car events. It's a pretty hot A. And I know it's been at least 10 years since the first time I saw it with the Chrysler transmission. My point is, this idea is not new, and even 10 years ago it seemed the guy had the 904 (?) Working well and well dialed in. Just opinion here - I think trashman60 could do it, and would probably like it.

Last edited by bobH; 01-22-2015 at 02:57 PM.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:10 PM   #20
zzlegend

bobH, ya,,,probably the same A. He has been into them for a long time and yes I do believe he has had that trans for quite a few years. I think it had a cragar set up on it also. He told me the name of the guy that made the adaptors but my mind just cant recall it, but I do believe he lives here in socal some where. By chance are thinking of a yellow A coupe? And I would venture to imagine that Jim Brierley knows of him.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #21
CarlG

Seems like I remember that John LaVoy has an automatic transmission in his Roadster Pickup.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #22
SteveB31

Contrary to all of the mis-information posted in this thread, the Chrysler 904 Automatic Slant 6 transmission works great in a Model A Ford. I have installed one, driven it, and sold the parts to others to do the same. It always amazes me , on this forumn, how so many people post replies to a good question, and have no idea what they are talking about.

When we were first asked to do that conversion several years back, I was sceptical about if the car had enough power, and if it would shift well, etc.

So, we installed it. Not an easy task, as the car has to be 12 volt, have hydraulic brakes and you have to convert it to open driveshaft. All of these things are work, and we did them. We also installed 3.54 gears. The fellow we did this for had no use of his legs, so we also installed generic one size fits all hand controls, so it could be driven with no feet. These are made to fit any car, and can be removed in about 30 seconds for use in another car. You steer with your left hand, and use the lever in your right hand for the throttle and brake.

We also installed a 5.5 Snyders head, Weber carb and alternator.

Car drives perfect. Shifts perfect . Cruises at 65 MPH at 6000 feet.

Art Moore in California has the parts made to adapt the trans to the engine. You must fab your own trans mount, and all the other parts to complete the job.

If anyone wants to get these parts, just call me and I will give you Arts telephone number.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:41 PM   #23
zzlegend

Thanks Steve for posting this. This pretty much verifies what I was told by this old guy I met. He has no problems what so ever and swears by that trans. And now that you mention Art Moore, that rings a bell with who he told me made his adaptor also.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:55 PM   #24
Fullraceflathead

That news sounds good to me. Reminds me of an old Cliche' I like to use once in awhile "You can't Argue with Success"
I'm sure the extra compression and better carb help a lot with the drive ability.
I've driven a car with Hand Controls before, you would be surprised at how well they function.

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:20 AM   #25
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashman60 View Post
This is probably going to stir up a a hornets nest, Is it possible to bolt up a auto trans to a model A? If so, what trans will fit?
Some good info here for you to work with, so the answer is yes...go for it !
Some people have severe/serious maladies , but can keep driving a Model A because of innovators like Art Moore and his Mrs. Art is a FAST and 4E4 guy, if I remember correctly. And Art is physically challenged. It you hear/see his coupe go by, take a quick look because he makes great power from his engines. I met Art at Pomona car show/swap meet many years ago and he surely is a talented guy. Yeah, Chrysler 904 is what they all use behind A/B , seems like.
Just coincidently, I just received an offer to buy one from a friend up north, whose health is failing. '29 roadster, with my old cragar head and 904 auto behind a warmed B ! Just scheming at where to get the $ from !

When you've had your legs worked over a few times, you will think more about ways as to how you can keep driving Model A.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #26
kenparker

I have done the 2.3 (Ford Ranger PU) and C-4 set up into a Model A frame. Yeh folks I am building a hotrod out of left over "A" parts. I have pictures but lets not show them on FB. PM me if you are interested.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #27
Charlville

If you wanted to keep the A "reasonably stock" and it's a health issue, you could go this direction?

http://www.pmeautoconversions.com.au...ctronic-clutch

http://www.mobility-aids.in/automati...ch-system.html

Might present a different set of problems, but coulds be an consideration?
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #28
Benson

One hand control system has a lever like a column shift.

There are other setups that work differently.

Two operations are needed to brake:

1. To brake you move the lever up in an arc to the 12 o'clock position this returns engine to idle. That is idle is at 12 'clock position and WOT is closer to 3 o'clock.

2. Then you push the lever "down" toward the steering gear to apply the brakes.

1 and 2 are needed so engine is at idle before you brake.

I suggest using a handlebar motorcycle grip for the throttle, using two cables with a spring return.

That way just release the grip, the spring rolls the throttle to an idle.

Then you push the lever down toward the steering gear to apply the vacuum boosted brake.

This makes for one less motion with the lever for braking.

Last edited by Benson; 01-23-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote