Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
Fred K-OR

Default Questions about Mel Gross's F-100 steering box conversion.

Guess the main question is: has anyone used this conversion and how does it work for you? Is it worth going through all the effort and expense.

Thanks for your comments.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Questions about Mel Gross's F-100 steering box conversion.

I may well be wrong but I was told that Mr. Gross had passed away !
Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 07-22-2014 at 12:14 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
Vic in E-TN

Smile Re: Questions about Mel Gross's F-100 steering box conversion.

Yes, Mel Gross has passed away but his son Randy has taken over. I have a steering box from Randy in my Woody and it is just as good as the previous one from Mel. Randy is good to work with also.

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
Smog Tech

I have an F-100 steering box that Randy rebuilt in my Town Sedan. Works great.
Smog Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Guess the main question is: has anyone used this conversion and how does it work for you? Is it worth going through all the effort and expense.

Thanks for your comments.
Hey Fred,
IT may be expensive, but it is not a lot of effort ! Best of all, in a Model A (roadster) it was something akin to what power steering is in a newer car. At least that's my experience..never would I change back. And , most guys would look at it and never know that it is not stock !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
Tom Endy

Mel Gross passed away earlier this year, but his son Randy Gross worked with his dad in the business for a number of years and is fully trained in all aspects of it. Randy is carrying on the business as his dad did. I know him personally, as I knew his dad. You can count on Randy for good service.

I have one of Mel's steering boxes in my Vic for about 20 years and it works well.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
steve s

Can you use the stock horn and light switch with it?
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
Mel Gross

This modified steering box is a direct bolt-on replacement for the original Model A box and the installation is very simple and should take a couple of hours to complete. We send complete detailed instructions with every box. On a 1930-31 vehicle you will use your existing steering wheel, mast, spark and gas rods, pitman arm (long or short), horn rod, light switch, and horn bail. The 1928-29 set-up is a little different as the original steering box and mast (Column housing) are one piece. Please either email me at [email protected] or call me at 714-292-8660 for more info. Thanks Randy Gross
Mel Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Gross View Post
This modified steering box is a direct bolt-on replacement for the original Model A box and the installation is very simple and should take a couple of hours to complete. We send complete detailed instructions with every box. On a 1930-31 vehicle you will use your existing steering wheel, mast, spark and gas rods, pitman arm (long or short), horn rod, light switch, and horn bail. The 1928-29 set-up is a little different as the original steering box and mast (Column housing) are one piece. Please either email me at [email protected] or call me at 714-292-8660 for more info. Thanks Randy Gross
Thanks Randy for the information. And thanks all of you that recommended this unit.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:02 AM   #10
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
Can you use the stock horn and light switch with it?
Yes and yes. As I said earlier, it you looked at it in my car, you would most likely not know it isn't stock !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #11
jerry shook

I have one in my 31 s/w works great and great people to deal with.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
Roger V

Quote:
Is the steering shaft one piece and new or is cut from both the original F1 and a Model A? If cut is it welded by a certified welder?
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
JOES31

I have one of Mel's boxes in my Tudor. He installed it over 15 years ago. Works great and since my Father had it done I had no idea until recently that it wasn't the original steering box. It steers very easy and looks stock. I think it's an F100 steering box. Mel was a great guy and knew the Model A's well. He's missed by many of us.
JOES31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #14
Mel Gross

Our shafts are two pieces. The upper portions are either brand new aircraft quality tubing that we have machined or original Model A shafts depending on availablity. They lower portions are either new aircraft quality tubing or remachined shafts from original F100 shafts. The two are then threaded (tap & die) together to get the proper length. They then are v blocked and checked for run out. Finally they are drilled and pinned welded and then completely welded around the seam. The horn rod will still goes thru. We out source locally the machining and welding. Welding is done by a professional welder.We have never had one break in over 25 years of production. Randy Gross
Mel Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #15
Roger V

Quote:
Our shafts are two pieces. The upper portions are either brand new aircraft quality tubing that we have machined or original Model A shafts depending on availablity. They lower portions are either new aircraft quality tubing or remachined shafts from original F100 shafts. The two are then threaded (tap & die) together to get the proper length. They then are v blocked and checked for run out. Finally they are drilled and pinned welded and then completely welded around the seam. The horn rod will still goes thru. We out source locally the machining and welding. Welding is done by a professional welder.We have never had one break in over 25 years of production. Randy Gross
Thanks for the info.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote