Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default front radius rod ball attachment

I placed an engine in my 1920 T with a four dip pan and needed a come-along to get the radius rod ball back to the socket. This doesn't seem right. What dimensions can I check to see if all is OK? it was forward about an inch, but lined up side to side. are there any model t restoration shops around Oregon? Thanks for any help! John

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: front radius rod ball attachment

John:

It is commmon to have to use a come along to get the front axle and rear axle to come to the correct distance. It just means one or both have moved a little. There is nothing to control movement of the front axle except the front radius rod. When you fit the U Joint to the back of the motor, again is sometimes neccessary to use a come along to get the U Joint all the way forward.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

John:

It is commmon to have to use a come along to get the front axle and rear axle to come to the correct distance. It just means one or both have moved a little. There is nothing to control movement of the front axle except the front radius rod. When you fit the U Joint to the back of the motor, again is sometimes neccessary to use a come along to get the U Joint all the way forward.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

John:

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

<center></center>

the ball socket should be a nice fit to a 1.250 ball if you need one to check the socket I have one I lend out, contact me I'll send it to you.

I also rebuild wishbones if the ball is worn out on that. the ball should be round not flatened or have a tit on the top.

the ball cap also should be 1.250 in diameter. with no wear.

<ul>[*]Golding's T Parts[/list]

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

thanks for the info. I've crawled out of the fetal position and am working on my roadster once again!!!!