Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2023, 08:49 AM   #1
RalphG

Default Vacuum wiper fail

For the first time ever I got caught in a rain storm with the 52 Merc on the way home from a car show. It failed the first test of the vacuum windshield wipers but I was able to see good enough to make it home safely. Found that I had disconnected the vacuum line to the wipers and capped the port. On hooking it up I found the wipers would just barely move even at idle speed. Maybe a little short on vacuum? Or the internal moving parts need work.
https://youtu.be/iOrG6wmXuD8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merc snip.jpg (36.8 KB, 19 views)
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 09:17 AM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Vacuum wiper fail

Mine worked OK on the '51, but someone on the H.A.M.B. posted about using brake fluid as a temporary fix. Get one of those ketchup squeeze bottles from the Dollar Store and fill it about a third of the way with DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid. Disconnect the wiper hose at the carb and put it over the spigot on the squeeze bottle. Manually run the wiper blades back and forth several times to suck the brake fluid into the chamber (the wiper motor is functioning backwards). I continued until I saw a drip of brake fluid on the floor mat (I tend to overdo things). I put it back together and couldn't believe how much better the wipers functioned; I can live with them now.

Make sure you are careful around the paint with the brake fluid and label the bottle and don't use it for anything else, ever. I probably should have crawled under the dash, removed the wiper motor, cleaned and lubed it, but at my age, that ain't in the cards. I can now go up the County Road 11 hill out of Breezy Point in a rain shower, and can see all the way up, if I time my shifts properly.

Ralph, make sure the wiper hose is good and supple. You may just want to replace it, as it's cheap enough and easy to do.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 09:44 AM   #3
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post

Ralph, make sure the wiper hose is good and supple. You may just want to replace it, as it's cheap enough and easy to do.
Thanks for that. I was not looking forward to working up under the dash either. And new hose is likely a good idea as this one feels a bit brittle.
Old 08-13-2023, 10:03 AM   #4
1942deluxe

I had a NOS wiper motor for my 42 coupe and it would not budge. For 3 days I soaked the inside with WD 40. No movement the first two days. Third day it was unstuck. Have it on the car along with new hoses and a NOS switch. I was surprised how well the vacuum wipers worked.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 10:46 AM   #5
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Thanks for that. I was not looking forward to working up under the dash either. And new hose is likely a good idea as this one feels a bit brittle.
The brittle hose is probably part of the problem as to why the wipers don't work.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 10:49 AM   #6
Pat/Ohio

TJ is correct concerning the brittle hose. I have also used Marvel Mystery Oil instead of the brake fluid.

Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 10:52 AM   #7
Willit Stop

I carry a bottle if Rain-X.
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 11:36 AM   #8
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Mine worked OK on the '51, but someone on the H.A.M.B. posted about using brake fluid as a temporary fix. Get one of those ketchup squeeze bottles from the Dollar Store and fill it about a third of the way with DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid. Disconnect the wiper hose at the carb and put it over the spigot on the squeeze bottle. Manually run the wiper blades back and forth several times to suck the brake fluid into the chamber (the wiper motor is functioning backwards). I continued until I saw a drip of brake fluid on the floor mat (I tend to overdo things). I put it back together and couldn't believe how much better the wipers functioned; I can live with them now.

Make sure you are careful around the paint with the brake fluid and label the bottle and don't use it for anything else, ever. I probably should have crawled under the dash, removed the wiper motor, cleaned and lubed it, but at my age, that ain't in the cards. I can now go up the County Road 11 hill out of Breezy Point in a rain shower, and can see all the way up, if I time my shifts properly.

If you are going to use brake fluid, I would go with DOT 5 since it is supposed to not attack paint. My choice would be a light oil.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 11:36 AM   #9
1948F-1Pickup

Make sure the linkage is perfectly lubed...... every single pivot. (and the wiper trunnions)
I have a brand new engine that pulls excellent vacuum. My wipers, by themselves, are barely adequate. Might be better if it were a one wiper setup. I have a rebuilt wiper motor and a Trico Electro-Vac. Makes a system useable that is pretty much subpar without it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0740.jpg (29.9 KB, 43 views)
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 11:46 AM   #10
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948F-1Pickup View Post
Make sure the linkage is perfectly lubed...... every single pivot. (and the wiper trunnions)
I have a brand new engine that pulls excellent vacuum. My wipers, by themselves, are barely adequate. Might be better if it were a one wiper setup. I have a rebuilt wiper motor and a Trico Electro-Vac. Makes a system useable that is pretty much subpar without it.
Love the Trico Electro-Vac. You can run the wipers when the engine is off. Basically turns the wipers into electric, turn on the switch for the Electro-Vac and turn on your wipers. And the nice thing is they come in 6 volt and 12 volt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0020 (3).jpg (63.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 08-13-2023, 01:39 PM   #11
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
If you are going to use brake fluid, I would go with DOT 5 since it is supposed to not attack paint. My choice would be a light oil.
I was not sure what the internal parts were made of in there so didn't want to put in some type of fluid that might damage them. Many years ago there was a product called "neatsfoot oil" that was used to keep leather harness for the horses in good and flexible condition. I used to have some but good luck trying to find where I have saved it.
Old 08-13-2023, 02:43 PM   #12
Merc Cruzer

Neatsfoot oil, we used on base ball gloves. Try a saddle shop for leather conditioner.
Old 08-13-2023, 04:06 PM   #13
Pat/Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948F-1Pickup View Post
Looks like a great fix for the vacuum wipers. I looked on epay and found one listed for over $400 and it didn't even look like it would work! Ouch!

Thanks,
Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 04:38 PM   #14
1948F-1Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Love the Trico Electro-Vac. You can run the wipers when the engine is off. Basically turns the wipers into electric, turn on the switch for the Electro-Vac and turn on your wipers. And the nice thing is they come in 6 volt and 12 volt.
Yup, I agree with all of the above. The only downside is people want a king's ransom for them now....
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 05:38 PM   #15
38 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willit Stop View Post
I carry a bottle if Rain-X.

My solution too.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 06:40 PM   #16
Merc Cruzer

Yes, now that everyone has learned what they are good for, the gougers are gouging.

As a side note, the 12 volt ones were used by Corvette for their fuel injection system. Those go for over $1,000.

I found mine at a swap meet and bought it for $10. I really wasn't sure what it was for, and neither did the seller, but I figured for $10, it was worth it. The pictures below showed what it looked like and how it cleaned up. Some times you just get lucky. Look in salvage yards.

Keep searching, they are out there for a realistic price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7144.jpg (54.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7145.jpg (57.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7146.jpg (56.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7147.jpg (49.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7148.jpg (56.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7151.jpg (47.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7152.jpg (53.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7154.jpg (35.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7205.jpg (41.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-13-2023, 07:29 PM   #17
RalphG

I remember on the 47 Ford farm truck it had a firewall mounted tank which I always thought was a vacuum tank for the wipers. The truck never had working wipers when I knew it but I wonder if a vacuum tank would be of any benefit in keeping the wipers working at all throttle settings?
Old 08-13-2023, 07:35 PM   #18
paul2748

Do not use dot 5 for the fix - It won't work. The Dot 3 & 4 is the correct formula. Don't use synthetic either, same reason.

QUOTE=Merc Cruzer;2247451]If you are going to use brake fluid, I would go with DOT 5 since it is supposed to not attack paint. My choice would be a light oil.[/QUOTE]
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 07:39 PM   #19
Zeke3

RalphG, does your Merc have the dual diaphragm fuel/vacuum pump? I thought they were standard equipment for 1952 models. I have also wondered whether adding a vacuum reservoir would hold enough vacuum to operate the wipers through an acceleration event. Hope to see a video soon of your improved wipers.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 07:59 PM   #20
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Do not use dot 5 for the fix - It won't work. The Dot 3 & 4 is the correct formula. Don't use synthetic either, same reason.

QUOTE=Merc Cruzer;2247451]If you are going to use brake fluid, I would go with DOT 5 since it is supposed to not attack paint. My choice would be a light oil.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Paul. Now I don't have to do it.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote