Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
deuce b.b.

Default v/8 ford engine i.d.

I have a complete restored drive train out of a 34 ford pkp . that I plan on selling , need to clarify #,s on engine , [ star 18-2031126 star ] , thanks , dent
deuce b.b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
David J

Default Re: v/8 ford engine i.d.

Tranny isJune 1935 production . Number should be on the tranny housing - not the motor . Pics of the motor would help ID it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce b.b. View Post
I have a complete restored drive train out of a 34 ford pkp . that I plan on selling , need to clarify #,s on engine , [ star 18-2031126 star ] , thanks , dent
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

The number you need is on the top of the left frame rail just ahead of where the steering box mounts. I am not sure about pickups but it was also two other places on the top of the left frame rail where it would be covered by the body. Engines were not numbered from the factory. The number for the engine/transmission assembly originally installed in the vehicle was located on a pad on the transmission case. Since it is easy/common to replace the transmission this number is generally not used.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
rotorwrench

There is an engine ID thread on this forum that has pictures of all the blocks & quite a few ID differences. With this info you can date an engine to a particular year range but that's about as good as it gets unless it has a date code stamped on the right rear of the intake deck. Those with the date coding will give you year and month of manufacture.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
deuce b.b.

thank-you for help , put some pics. in my album , truck was street rodded but present owner may be able to supply me with vin # on title that he holds , that may help , will try to get it tomorrow , could the trans. still be part of orig. drive line depending on vin # , truck came out of U.S. over 30 years ago an put in storage till resto started and finished 7 yrs. ago ,was low mileage one owner to start , , then sold to present owner ,
Old 11-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
funrunr

If it helps, the number on my trans matches the number on my frame and title. As others mentioned no ID on my engine.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
Mike in AZ

here's a link to MacVP's website showing serial numbers and where to find them....looks like '35 according to that number you gave....good luck...another section in his website helps to identify engines...good luck.....Mike

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ialnumbers.htm
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:50 AM   #8
ford38v8

duece b.b., from the pics in your album, it appears that you have a '35 intake manifold and '35 aluminum heads. I couldn't positively identify the block's drain spout, but if someone here can confirm that it also is from '35, then together with the transmission number you reported, it would be likely that your drivetrain is from a '35. This engine would have poured babbitt bearings.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
deuce b.b.

thank you all for your answers , found some #,s on block , passenger side rear at top beside intake manifold , small o with a z in the middle , B 8 542 , letter N at lower rad hose inlet , -- left side front on top beside intake manifold K 543 , I am still tracking down restorer and machine shop that done rebuild on engine , really want to know year before offering for sale , dent
Old 11-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
ford38v8

Duece, those numbers unfortunately are very difficult to trace, as there are no remaining records to research. Today, the physical features of a block are the best and usually the only means to identify it.