Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2021, 08:14 PM   #1
saxman657

Default Upper Bushing in Steering column

I'm sure someone has had this problem. My steering wheel suddenly has a lot of up and down/left to right wobble. My though was that the felt liner in the upper bushing either wore out or ended up falling inside of the steering assembly. The bushing is a year old from when I rebuilt the steering box and replaced the control rods and arms. I talked to Randy Gross about this as he helped me remove the old bushing that was stuck on pretty good. He said I could insert a plastic bushing over the steering shaft and into the large hole of the upper bushing - he just said the make sure there was some sort of lip that would lay on top of the bushing so it wouldn't slide in. Sounds great in theory, but I was wondering if anyone has ever done this before and if it worked for them. I'm really not looking forward to removing the control rods and arms and pulling the old upper bushing out if I can avoid it.
saxman657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:22 PM   #2
stevemclark

Default Re: Upper Bushing in Steering column

Try some RTV silicone rubber calk,you can build it up as thick as you need yet it will come off without to much trouble.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
saxman657

Default Re: Upper Bushing in Steering column

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Ok all, I decided against the RTV silicone rubber idea as I was afraid some would eventually break loose and end up who knows where. I found some potential parts at Ace Hardware that might work (bronze bushings with flanges), but ended up going with a 3/4" Box Adapter from the electrical section at Home Depot. ID was perfect, but OD required a Dremmel to do some serious sanding/grinding for a good fit. I also needed to grind down the flange as it would have been making contact with the control arms. Hopefully this holds, and if anyone else has some great ideas, please let me know. Hopefully a year from now I can report the this is still working. If not, I tell the boss its broke and I need an
F-100 steering column!

Last edited by saxman657; 06-22-2021 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Add wording - tried to post picture - luck
saxman657 is offline   Reply With Quote