Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
Mike B

Default The "heater" thread got me wondering...how to run a hot water heater in a FH?

Do you need water pumps with an outlet fitting on them?
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
Zeke...PA

Default Re: The "heater" thread got me wondering...how to run a hot water heater in a FH?

No they have a return fitting that can be inserted in the bottom radiator hose and the supply comes from a fitting in the head, which is normally a shut off valve. Some later water pumps have a return pipe fitting normally a plug in the housing. Zeke
Old 12-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
ford38v8

Default Re: The "heater" thread got me wondering...how to run a hot water heater in a FH?

Mike, the below pictured hose fitting is available from C&G (and others). It is installed on the lower radiator hose. The upper heater hose connects to a valve on the head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0000009798_0035000400.JPG (7.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
Mike B

So...I can come out of (or into) one head, then to the lower radiator hose, OR the WP?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
flatheadfan

I have four early flatheads and they all have hot water heaters. Basically, they are trouble free, require little if any maintenance, relatively easy to install and do put out enough heat to keep a coupe or roadster comfortable. Note the hook-up below.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0646.JPG (94.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0647.JPG (142.1 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1073.JPG (62.4 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of IM000343.jpg (83.0 KB, 123 views)
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
Mike B

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks Fan...clear now, I have two WP's that are "tight" that have fittings on them now...one I believe is plugged, and have an outlet on the head with a valve on it...so should be easy to take care of!

Pics be worth a billion words!

Thanks again!

Last edited by Mike B; 12-22-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
Drbrown

As a possible addition to the heater system, my '47 has a flow control valve in the heater hose running between the heater and the lower hose. A choke cable at the dash board opens and closes the flow control valve to increase or decrease the hot water flow through the heater core and thus the temperature of the heater output.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #8
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrown View Post
As a possible addition to the heater system, my '47 has a flow control valve in the heater hose running between the heater and the lower hose. A choke cable at the dash board opens and closes the flow control valve to increase or decrease the hot water flow through the heater core and thus the temperature of the heater output.
That would/should, eliminate a shut off valve in the head for summer time as well, nice.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:24 AM   #9
wingerdinger

I have a rather odd plumbing arrangement on my `35 big truck. Both water pumps have a fitting with a hose coming from them, and they are 'teed' together before going into the heater housing. The tee is plastic, so I can assume that it is not Ford correct.
The outlet (or inlet) hose comes from the drivers side front of the block, with a fitting and shut off valve on that fitting. I think I remember seeing a valve on the drivers side water pump fitting as well. This is from memory, I only noticed because I had to drop the oil pan to change the clutch. I'll have to go out and take a few pictures.
I just got the truck, non-running. a few months ago, so I have never tried the heater.
Could all that be to increase the flow for more heat? or?
wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #10
nbrskn

That would/should, eliminate a shut off valve in the head for summer time as well, nice.

I Put a shutoff in the head side because the water would get hot back into the heater. By convection I supose
nbrskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #11
PeterC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Do you need water pumps with an outlet fitting on them?
May be controversial - but my heater performs well with passenger pump serving as output for hot water supply and return going back in passenger head at the threaded bung where a temp sensor might go
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #12
sidevalve8ba

This set-up on my 8ba works just fine for me. Top hose at cylinder head with cut-off valve. Lower hose at water pump.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #13
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC View Post
May be controversial - but my heater performs well with passenger pump serving as output for hot water supply and return going back in passenger head at the threaded bung where a temp sensor might go
I "think" that is how the Pilot was plumbed that I used the engine from...will look at the pumps I took off the Pilot engine, as I recall, there was something coming off the pass side pump, to a copper tube that went up and over the engine towards the firewall.

Also, on the pass head is a shut off valve as well.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #14
Drbrown

Whoever installed that choke cable operated flow-control valve in my '47 apparently also removed the manual shut-off valve on the cylinder head. I wonder how water-tight the flow-control valve is .... it might not make a water-tight closure.

sidevalve8ba: Nice looking power plant !
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote