Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
Fred A

Default Why No Bob Drake at LA Roadster..?

Didn't think about it much as there was a lot missing at the LA Roadsters event, now suffering real learning pains under O'Riley , but somehow puzzled to find Drake also absent. For me, happily finding great parts for my projects seemed forgivable that the swap area was largely vacant. So many of the regulars that have had a free ride for over 50 years were not to be found when asked to pay. The lack of "shiney roadsters was reported but I haven't even given them a look in at least a decade. Another possibility may be that California taxes are more aggressive than ever, among the highest in the USA. Must ask What's Up? Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #2
32phil

Default Re: Why No Bob Drake at LA Roadster..?

Same thing going on at Hershey. The tax situation is a pain in the butt for a one time swap space. I know several big vendors were fed up with the tax rules and greatly reduced their presence in October. The late Dick Spadaro comes to mind.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Fred,

You might want to go over to HAMB and search the archives for the answer to your "Whats Up" question. I sure hope it turns around. I wish I was smart enough to tell them how to fix it. It still may be the best show/swap in Southern California but it has gone a long way down since they changed management.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
Fred A

Before I posted anything here, went to the HAMB search also and didn't find any recent Issue with Bob Drake beyond a free shipping promo. Had I seen that before Fathers Day, I could have saved that hike to the where the big vendors soak up the air conditioning. Those that persisted in running with the cool crowd were openly concerned. There is indeed a lot to be lost by just a few bad moves. One insult to the paying vendors is that the stickers were not just mailed but had to be picked up making another line in an unfriendly environment. Sure were a bunch of theoretical explanations for any and every negative change. I just landed on the tax issue knowing that Bob Drake operates in a no sales tax state where that distinction is good business when residents of adjoining states cross into Medford in the south and Portland in the north to spend any serious money tax free. Until we get a better reason... Good Luck: Fred A
Old 07-03-2018, 07:05 PM   #5
TJ

I suspect you may see the same thing next year in San Diego at the Big 3 Swap Meet. It's been sold to a professional promoter. I'm sure you will see an entry fee and the cost of the spaces going up. this along with the tax man snooping around will probably have a direct effect on what used to be a real good meet.
TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:37 PM   #6
Karl Wescott

Bob has semi-retired. It may be as simple as he did not care to go. The numbers may not have penciled out for the business for the advertising value vs cost (transportation, lodging, food, wages... employees do not work swap meets for free!)

We have not done anything in the last several years except local shows for those very reasons.
Karl Wescott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:26 PM   #7
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
I suspect you may see the same thing next year in San Diego at the Big 3 Swap Meet. It's been sold to a professional promoter. I'm sure you will see an entry fee and the cost of the spaces going up. this along with the tax man snooping around will probably have a direct effect on what used to be a real good meet.
There is going to be a Big 3 meet this August so we'll see how the new owner's changes will pan out.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:55 AM   #8
Terry,OH

According to the Big 3 web site the demise of the meet was a spoof. Beside the Aug event there is still the Feb. 22, 23 & 24 swap in 2019
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:41 AM   #9
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
There is going to be a Big 3 meet this August so we'll see how the new owner's changes will pan out.
Keep us posted on how it turns out.
TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
Krylon32

I suspect that there will be more vendors choosing not to attend shows as the cost to do shows keeps increasing and foot traffic decreases. I did 8-9 NSRA shows a year as a vendor for 17 years and finally decided it had gotten to expensive versus the returns and decided to depend on the internet and a few ads for my sales which worked out fine.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #11
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
Bob has semi-retired. It may be as simple as he did not care to go. The numbers may not have penciled out for the business for the advertising value vs cost (transportation, lodging, food, wages... employees do not work swap meets for free!)

We have not done anything in the last several years except local shows for those very reasons.

I went to the LARS specifically looking for a 'body-deal'. No soap. There were two I wanted to talk to, and your folks were one. Brookville was there, but not one of 'my two'. As noted by others, number of participants was dismal. Where were all the LA roadsters?
On my 'body-deal', is Jake still a dealer? If so, I will inquire through him.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #12
51504bat

Went to LARS mainly for the swap meet but wanted to check out Glide Engineering's booth about a new seat for my p/u. They were offering 20% off plus they initially quoted a lower price than the actual seat for my p/u but they honored the initial lower quote plus gave me the 20% off "show special"
The seat frame is at the upholstery shop right now.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #13
Fred A

bobH wanted to know where "all the LA Roadsters" were. I didn't even go looking for them but selling on the corner, like rumor central, there was so much talk about the guys that were in control for fifty years may not have liked the inevitable changes that the parade of new owners made. For me the "shiney roadster" concept had been out of style for decades, while treating some very nice cars badly. The roadster "Floundering Fathers" were dying out and it has been time to reform. The limiting factor may be the wisdom or lack of, that will tell the tale. Unwisely, I never got the call asking for my opinion. Good luck: Fred A
Old 07-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #14
4dy

For me, seeing a few hundred similar 32 "shiny" roadsters is boring. The real show is the variety of grubby - shiny cars in the swap area. I was a vendor and sales were dismal, but I plan to try again next year. The show can't survive another drop in attendance by vendors or spectators so they NEED to do something (lower prices, special exhibits/people, etc) next year to lure back the people or it will be completely dead in a few years.
4dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #15
mike in tucson

Also, swap meets have competition from the online auction sites...I can sit in my easy chair with a beer and post ads using pictures I took with my cell phone... then, if a fish bites, I have to box the part but I certainly don't have to load stuff in my truck, sit in the sun all day and reload all the junk that I didn't sell for the trip home. Maybe I sell less on line but it sure is easier.
mike in tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #16
barnfind08

I have been going to the LARS since it was at the Great Western in the 70s. This last one was the most organized and I am a vendor. This was my best year for selling(dollar wise) but then I only sell NOS Ford.
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #17
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in tucson View Post
Also, swap meets have competition from the online auction sites...I can sit in my easy chair with a beer and post ads using pictures I took with my cell phone... then, if a fish bites, I have to box the part but I certainly don't have to load stuff in my truck, sit in the sun all day and reload all the junk that I didn't sell for the trip home. Maybe I sell less on line but it sure is easier.
Probably the truest thing I have read on these sites, ever. I hate it and still like going to swap meets, but it seems these days technology trumps everything.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #18
bluardun

The L A Roadster club has realized the mistake having a promoter run the show, and has taken it back. This years Fathers day Roadster show will be run by the club members.
Their intent is to return it back like it was in the past; with a few improvements. Any positive suggestion sent to the club will be appreciated.
Yes Bob Drake is Simi-retired. We look forward to seeing him and his crew this upcoming year. As well as many of the other commercial venders. Wescott would be nice to have return also.

Last edited by bluardun; 07-14-2018 at 05:33 PM. Reason: addition information
bluardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #19
woodiewagon46

Mike is right on. I am friends with a vendor and up until several years ago he was at every swap meet their was. The issue with that was that he first paid for his vendor spot. Depending on the meet he took ether one or two trucks. Tolls and gas add up. Next was two or three motel rooms for his staff. It got to the point that he was breaking even at best. Now he does most of his sales on line, so he only takes select items that he knows will sell and mans his booth with only he and his wife.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:41 PM   #20
barnfind08

Well that's not good. When the club was running it a couple of years ago. They never could figure out the lines waiting to come into the swap meet .It was always a cluster fxxxx. You didn't have permanent spots either. It was like a gold rush to get in and then when you did get in there were spots already taken buy their friends. Oh well back to the cluster.
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote