Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2020, 11:36 AM   #21
flatford8

Default Re: 1947 Ford Super Deluxe options

IMHO..... it’s a parts car. If you want a car to drive, there’re many for sale that you can drive it the day you buy it, for not a lot of money....I think less than it would take to make that one a driver and WAY less time and effort.... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:06 PM   #22
TJ

As I reread your post it appears that you are only looking at photos from the seller and have not actually seen the car. As new potential buyer NEVER by something from photos only. You need to see it in person and have someone with you familiar with old Fords to guide you. If you are new to the hobby talk with seasoned veterans of the hobby. Lots of good advice out there to help you to avoid some pitfalls.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:04 PM   #23
kylefeatherston

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
As I reread your post it appears that you are only looking at photos from the seller and have not actually seen the car. As new potential buyer NEVER by something from photos only. You need to see it in person and have someone with you familiar with old Fords to guide you. If you are new to the hobby talk with seasoned veterans of the hobby. Lots of good advice out there to help you to avoid some pitfalls.
TJ thank you for the advice. I am young but not that dumb thankfully.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
kylefeatherston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:06 PM   #24
kylefeatherston

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
IMHO..... it’s a parts car. If you want a car to drive, there’re many for sale that you can drive it the day you buy it, for not a lot of money....I think less than it would take to make that one a driver and WAY less time and effort.... Mark
I am looking for something to learn with and gain knowledge in metal working, engine work while getting to enjoy the pleasure of having a historic car. I'm not necessarily looking for something that's turn key but, I do appreciate the insight and wanting to stay away from a money pit. Thank you

Old 06-24-2020, 08:10 PM   #25
kylefeatherston

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
To add to what Seth points out, the conversion might be a challenge for some. It has a torque tube which will need to be removed before taking out the transmission. That in itself is an issue, as the rear end or the motor must be removed to get it out. Once the transmission is out, a new clutch, pressure plate and a resurfacing of the flywheel should be done at this time. Just by looking at the pictures, you might want to reconsider purchasing this car unless it's very cheap.
The car is listed at $2000, I dont know how cheap or expensive that is in this vehicle but it seemed easy enough to get for $1500 considering the owner passed away and the seller wants it gone. As far as mechanics I would rebuild the engine and redo many of those components and have a fair amount of mechanical ability, I think lol. Thank you

Old 06-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #26
kylefeatherston

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
Quote:
“I have recently been looking at buying a 1947 Ford Super Deluxe”
Maybe not his yet
But if you do decide to pull the trigger there are many assets available(especially the knowledge here on the Barn) to help you.
I love these years of Ford and have had a couple, thus I have lots of spare parts.
It might help to put your general location in your avatar.
I’d be thrilled if you were close enough to come take some of this junk, er, ah, treasure off my hands.
If you buy the car, and need them, I might have those shift rods lying around and will send them to you for the postage.
Ralph
Thank you for the generosity! This forum has the nicest car people I've ever spoken too lol. I live in Spokane, WA. If the wife and I agree on the car I will certainly follow up with the forums a lot and take you up on your deal!

Old 06-24-2020, 08:16 PM   #27
kylefeatherston

Seth- I am looking for a project and something with four doors to accommodate my growing family. Also, developing my mechanical skills and areas like body work, paint, engine work etc. are appealing. Thank you!

Old 06-24-2020, 08:27 PM   #28
tubman

That car (what I can see of it) is probably worth $1500 in parts. It looks like a pretty cheap "learning experience" to me. You can't get hurt to bad financially if you don't to anything stupid. From what I've read so far, there's not much chance of that.

(This is assuming the car is fairly complete.)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:26 PM   #29
kylefeatherston

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
That car (what I can see of it) is probably worth $1500 in parts. It looks like a pretty cheap "learning experience" to me. You can't get hurt to bad financially if you don't to anything stupid. From what I've read so far, there's not much chance of that.

(This is assuming the car is fairly complete.)
What would a stupid move be? Attempting to bore the engine .125 over and slapping edelbrock heads and intake with an Isky cam? Lol from what I've researched that's really expensive and seems dumb to me

Old 06-24-2020, 10:09 PM   #30
tubman

Where you can really get in trouble is farming stuff out. If you do everything yourself, you can't get hurt.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:39 AM   #31
Seth Swoboda

Bare with me here. I would pick it up for $1500.00. Then I would part it out. I would then take my proceeds and purchase a '47 sedan in a little better shape. I think the proceeds from selling the parts would help you towards another purchase. That's just my business sense. This might seem crazy to you, however I have parted out old Fords and used the proceeds towards my better cars for restoration, maintenance, repairs.... While you're parting it out you will pick up an unbelievable amount of knowledge about how these cars are are constructed and how they operate.

I learned everything I know about V8 Fords from simply taking them apart, reading about them and asking knowledgeable folks questions.

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 06-25-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:07 AM   #32
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
I agree with this 100%. '46 - '48 Fords can be had for little money. Super nice coupes are selling in the $15ish range - super nice.
Sedans? Super nice, $12k on a good day.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #33
RKS.PA

Quote:
Where you can really get in trouble is farming stuff out. If you do everything yourself, you can't get hurt.
If you could pick this up for $1000, so much the better. As Tubman said above, body work and upholstery....and it looks like the car needs those badly.....can put you "under water" pretty quickly.

Machine shop work on the block is worth it to me, but that's relative too.

Seems to me there are quite a number of flathead guys in Spokane, so join the regional Early V8 group to connect with them.

Best of luck, however you choose to go!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #34
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
If you could pick this up for $1000, so much the better. As Tubman said above, body work and upholstery....and it looks like the car needs those badly.....can put you "under water" pretty quickly.

Seems to me there are quite a number of flathead guys in Spokane, so join the regional Early V8 group to connect with them.

I passed on a SUPER rust free '48 coupe last year, as in zero rust. It was apart and quite straight. It appeared nearly all the parts were there. Guy was asking $2800, He still has it.
A parts car like the one n the original post? Gosh, $500 IF there were parts needed by the buyer.

Last edited by Kube; 06-25-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:03 AM   #35
RKS.PA

Quote:

Last edited by RKS.PA; 06-25-2020 at 11:09 AM. Reason: duplicate post
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:47 PM   #36
Graeme / New Zealand

Kyle reading all the posts here, you say you think you have "some mechanical ability"....well I don't doubt that reading your profile, you could make an old Ford fly if you re-powered it with something by RR or General Electric (pun intended). Good luck with your hunt and eventual purchase whether it is this car or another and hope to see more of you on the Barn.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:42 PM   #37
TJ

There's probably no one standing in line for this car. Offer $750 and see where it goes. I'll bet you will own it. Those old four door cars are not in high demand. If you live in the Spokane area there is a regional V-8 club group in that area. the members would be an excellent source of knowledge for your first adventure into the old Ford V-8 world.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:39 PM   #38
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
There's probably no one standing in line for this car. Offer $750 and see where it goes. I'll bet you will own it. Those old four door cars are not in high demand. If you live in the Spokane area there is a regional V-8 club group in that area. the members would be an excellent source of knowledge for your first adventure into the old Ford V-8 world.
It's a fordor? Offer him $500 if you really want it. It'll be sitting there a LONG time.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:43 PM   #39
Lanny

By the pictures of this 4 dr., it looks like a parts car. It would cost more time
and money, then it would be worth, just to get it road worthy.
Wireing, tires, up to date title and licence, interior, engine, etc, etc, etc.

The air cleaner is off the engine, so pull the dip stick and see if it shows any oil
on it, OR if it's way over full, it's prolly got water in the pan.
If there is oil on the dip stick, then get a long breaker bar, and see if it'll turn over.

$500 as a parts car is a very fair price...

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:54 PM   #40
FortyNiner

Based on my recent experience, DIY cost for period correct interior upholstery is about $3300 with standard machine shop work (0.60 over, pistons, rods, rings, cleanup on crank & heads) another $3000. That just leaves everything else (tires, metal repair, rubber bits, and such) plus paint, if so inclined. As for the buy price, $2k is strong (even assuming a title). Anything over $1000 is walking away time.

By the way, the interior space for the Tudor and 4 door sedans is very close.

Good luck with your project plans.

Last edited by FortyNiner; 06-30-2020 at 08:49 AM.
FortyNiner is offline   Reply With Quote