Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #1
46international

Default Y block flywheel ring gear

I have a '59 292 motor that may have come out of a truck and I'm having a hard time finding a ring gear for it, it uses a 11" clutch. I ordered one off of the internet and it was too small to expand over the flywheel. I have found another one at NAPA and they list the inside dia. After measuring the flywheel, and comparing that to the listed I.D. it looks like the gear will have to expand .15 total to go over the flywheel. That sounds too much. I did not measure the other gear before I sent it back, but it was too small.
I guess what I'm asking is, is there a difference in ring gears for flywheels that use the 11" clutch? What about if the flywheel came from a truck, maybe even a large truck?
46international is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
scrapiron

Default Re: Y block flywheel ring gear

If you are sure of the year, and you have an 11" clutch, it is from a larger truck, F6 or F7. Not sure of a flywheel difference.
Check this guy, 715-677-3809,,,ring gears are his thing,
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:17 AM   #3
Daves55Sedan

I have a 6-cyl clutch & flywheel with ring gear out in the garage and I have a Ford-O-Matic converter front plate with the ring gear on it. The ring gear for the Ford-O-matic should match closely with what you should have I think. I will try to measure them both.

Last edited by Daves55Sedan; 12-18-2017 at 01:29 AM.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:33 AM   #4
46international

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapiron View Post
If you are sure of the year, and you have an 11" clutch, it is from a larger truck, F6 or F7. Not sure of a flywheel difference.
Check this guy, 715-677-3809,,,ring gears are his thing,

I'm sure of year, I checked numbers on the block but the Y block site said it was from a car 1959 or 1960 but had truck front mount and timming cover.. motor could have been swaped into a truck and they kept the larger flywheel/clutch.

Thanks for the number
Old 12-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #5
46international

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
I have a 6-cyl clutch & flywheel with ring gear out in the garage and I have a Ford-O-Matic converter front plate with the ring gear on it. The ring gear for the Ford-O-matic should match closely with what you should have I think. I will try to measure them both.
You mean the Ford-o-matic gear may be able to be cut off and installed on the flywheel? I have a Ford-o in the car now and the ring gear os part of the converter not the flex plate. I would like to get more info on this.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:54 AM   #6
justold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46international View Post
I have a '59 292 motor that may have come out of a truck and I'm having a hard time finding a ring gear for it, it uses a 11" clutch. I ordered one off of the internet and it was too small to expand over the flywheel. I have found another one at NAPA and they list the inside dia. After measuring the flywheel, and comparing that to the listed I.D. it looks like the gear will have to expand .15 total to go over the flywheel. That sounds too much. I did not measure the other gear before I sent it back, but it was too small.
I guess what I'm asking is, is there a difference in ring gears for flywheels that use the 11" clutch? What about if the flywheel came from a truck, maybe even a large truck?
Count the teeth .
justold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #7
KULTULZ

Question Re: Y block flywheel ring gear

Do you happen to see a Casting ID No. at the mounting flange? The Basic PN should read 6384. Need the characters before and after.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #8
46international

Quote:
Originally Posted by justold View Post
Count the teeth .
It is 146 teeth
Old 12-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #9
46international

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Do you happen to see a Casting ID No. at the mounting flange? The Basic PN should read 6384. Need the characters before and after.
You mean on the flywheel? I'll check tonight.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #10
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Y block flywheel ring gear

Quote:

You mean on the flywheel? I'll check tonight.
Yes, in the recess at the crankshaft mounting flange. This can be crossed to the flywheel PN and once application is determined to can find the ring gear PN by itself.

Example Only- B8T 6384-C

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 12-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #11
rotorwrench

Most of the Y-blocks used the same basic flywheel size but the thing can be drilled for different size clutch covers. FoMoCo made a lot of different Y-blocks but most of the ones for smaller trucks and passenger cars have interchangeability. The Big Job engines like for F7 & F8 trucks and Lincolns, not as much. A 10-inch clutch is plenty good for most Y-blocks anyway.

The ring has to be tight on the wheel. Put he wheel in the freezer and heat up the ring gear and they will generally drop right on there. According to some replacement procedures in older Ford publications. The ring is to be heated uniformly and they mention using a torch but as a general rule 250 degrees F is hot enough so an oven can be used as long as you can talk the wifey into it. Good luck with that.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:01 AM   #12
46international

Quote:
Yes, in the recess at the crankshaft mounting flange. This can be crossed to the flywheel PN and once application is determined to can find the ring gear PN by itself.

Example Only- B8T 6384-C

I checked and can not see any number. This flywheel was pretty rusty so there may have been numbers at one time but not now.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #13
46international

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Most of the Y-blocks used the same basic flywheel size but the thing can be drilled for different size clutch covers. FoMoCo made a lot of different Y-blocks but most of the ones for smaller trucks and passenger cars have interchangeability. The Big Job engines like for F7 & F8 trucks and Lincolns, not as much. A 10-inch clutch is plenty good for most Y-blocks anyway.

The ring has to be tight on the wheel. Put he wheel in the freezer and heat up the ring gear and they will generally drop right on there. According to some replacement procedures in older Ford publications. The ring is to be heated uniformly and they mention using a torch but as a general rule 250 degrees F is hot enough so an oven can be used as long as you can talk the wifey into it. Good luck with that.

That is what I'm worried about, this 'wheel may have been off of a large truck. I looked for part numbers and can't find any.
When I tried to install the ring gear, I put the flywheel in the freezer over night and got the gear WAY over 250*.... still would not go on. That is what makes me think it was the wrong gear,or I have the wrong flywheel. Now i'm thinking if this is a big truck 'wheel, maybe it needs to be used with the "truck" bell housing to get the starter to be positioned correctly. Any thoughts on that?
Old 12-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #14
46international

The gear that I can buy from NAPA has an I.D. of 13.352" I measured the flywheel at 13.477" so that meand it must expand .125 total. Is that too much?
Old 12-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #15
KULTULZ

Post Re: Y block flywheel ring gear

The only thing I can think of is that the flywheel itself was pretty much STD to car/truck of the period. 146T RG is an EAA 6384-A.

GOOGLE the PN and you will find suppliers and maybe can contact them for exact measurements.

What are you working on?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #16
40 Deluxe

Quote:
The gear that I can buy from NAPA has an I.D. of 13.352" I measured the flywheel at 13.477" so that meand it must expand .125 total. Is that too much?
No, it will expand more than that.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #17
rotorwrench

An interference fit is dependent on the overall diameter of the fitting parts. It starts at around .0015" per inch at 1-inch diameter but then starts to decrease per inch the larger the diameter gets. I would say that it would need to be around the .015" figure give or take. The larger the diameter the more it expands when heated. An eighth of an inch is way too much. The flywheel, starter, and bell housing will have to work with each other.

If you heat it much hotter than 300 degrees, whatever temper in the teeth will suffer. If you heat it blue and it still won't go on then that is telling. I'd say you have the wrong flywheel for the application or you have the wrong starter ring.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #18
46international

Quote:
The only thing I can think of is that the flywheel itself was pretty much STD to car/truck of the period. 146T RG is an EAA 6384-A.

GOOGLE the PN and you will find suppliers and maybe can contact them for exact measurements.

What are you working on?
Thanks, I'll check into that. This motor is in my '30 Tudor and has a Ford-o-matic in it now but I'm swapping in a 3 speed transmission. What I 'm doing now is just getting all the parts together.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #19
46international

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
An interference fit is dependent on the overall diameter of the fitting parts. It starts at around .0015" per inch at 1-inch diameter but then starts to decrease per inch the larger the diameter gets. I would say that it would need to be around the .015" figure give or take. The larger the diameter the more it expands when heated. An eighth of an inch is way too much. The flywheel, starter, and bell housing will have to work with each other.

If you heat it much hotter than 300 degrees, whatever temper in the teeth will suffer. If you heat it blue and it still won't go on then that is telling. I'd say you have the wrong flywheel for the application or you have the wrong starter ring.
This flywheel was on this motor when I got it but removed it when I installed the ford-o-matic, Now that I'm going back to a manual the flywheel will go back on, and it could use a new gear. I have a "car" bell housing and now I'm wondering if the flywheel is some different thing like a BIG truck or indrustral use part. So the word is that the .125" is too much?
Old 12-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #20
46international

Quote:

What are you working on?
The NAPA # is FRG146NC
Balkamp # BK6003011